Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New lift on order!!

Subfixer

Corvette
1964 White Roadster
Thanks to the Holiday generousity of my wife, my ACS-7000 was ordered a couple of days ago.
biggrin5.gif

Yeah, I know, I haven't been on here too much lately.... New job takes a lot of my time (120 mile drive round trip every day) and no internet access at work. Still working on the house remodel too.

Also busted up my shoulder last May and it's just starting to get better now after surgury, etc....

Haven't driven the car much this year since the pilot bushing started squeaking right before I screwed up the shoulder, so it's been waiting for my recovery. With the lift, I think it will be easier to R&R the transmission.

So maybe in January, I can finally replace that pesky pilot bushing without breaking my back.
smash.gif

Happy holidays everyone. (I'm happy
thumbsup.gif
)​

Please let us know how the pilot bushing was to replace. I have the same condition.
Good luck.

Pilot bushing replacement is the same job as a clutch replacement.

First you have to get the transmission out, which is a job in itself.

Then remove the bellhousing & clutch assembly.

Finally, remove and replace the pilot bushing.

While you are in there, if you need a clutch or throwout bearing, that's the time to do it.

Assembly is the reverse. The Transmission installation is a bear if it's your first time.

I've have mine out twice in the last 5 years laying on my back.... not fun..

Well it should be alot easier with that new lift. How long do you have to wait to get it delivered?? Good luck with all those projects.. Jim

Congratulations on the acquisition. I'm looking forward to your lift adventure, as I'll be ordering one when the garage is complete. Please be sure to take and post lots of photos as you unpack and install.

:beer

Well it should be alot easier with that new lift. How long do you have to wait to get it delivered?? Good luck with all those projects.. Jim

Due to the holidays, I don't expect to see it until early January.

Normally ships about 2-3 weeks after order. They build them (pull individual parts from inventory, put all the parts in the boxes, etc...) after the order is placed. Then the cross-country shipping.

Photos will be provided.

I've had my lift for over 5 years. Don't know how I got along without one.

Hey Paul - great to hear from you! Getting ready to pull the engine and trans out of the 66 for some winter freshening up myself. Hope the holidays are great for you.

Steve

Hi Paul!

long time no see or hear from you! How's Theresa?

lucky you on the lift! I sure could use one this winter also since I need to pull the tranny out of my '65 this winter also to rebuild it and than also replace the clutch and throw-out bearing. I guess I'll be doing it on my back with the car up on jackstands. I'm NOT looking forward to it at all with the stories I've heard about the job not to mention you know i have no clue what i'm doing since I've never done it before. Same on the tranny rebuild itself - no budget to pay someone to rebuild it for me so I have to learn to do it myself. Out to get real interesting to say the least.
Maybe I'll take pics of every little step of it and write an article afterwards called "Muncie Rebuild for Dummies". IF I can manage to get thru it and do it correct the article would be very appropiately titled. ;LOL

Barry
I will be doing the same any tips would be appreciated. All the best.

Barry,
Some how I think there may be a few pictures to follow. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about it.I'm probobly going to be doing the same w/ the 68 tranny.Didn't think it was a do it yourself kinda job.Take care under those jack stands.

Barry,

Make sure to use high capacity jack stands, not cheapy 2 or 3-ton versions. It's your life under there. ;)

Get the car up plenty high, and be prepared to struggle with the tranny. It won't be easy on your back, but it is possible.

Check for stability once it's on those stands......................and then check again.

Barry,

Make sure to use high capacity jack stands, not cheapy 2 or 3-ton versions. It's your life under there. ;)

Get the car up plenty high, and be prepared to struggle with the tranny. It won't be easy on your back, but it is possible.

Check for stability once it's on those stands......................and then check again.

That is the best advice you can get for doing your own tranny install. Their is no such thing as over doing saftey when your under a 3200Lb car!!!

As Bob states.. the higher the better. You can even rent or buy an inexpensive low profile tranny jack. You also will have to address jacking the motor up & down in order to help remove & install the tranny. This will require a good floor jack with a 2x4 across the oil pan where you can place the jack pad. And...don't forget to remove the distb cap..and in some cases the distb.

Good luck and I konow you'll do your resarch on tranny removal before starting the job. Take your time and paln your moves.

:beer

Hey Barry.. Everything is good up here. Everyone is doing fine.

The trans job isn't too bad, the hardest part is lowering the rear of the engine down the right amount, then turning the trans just the right way so it will come out. My first time took a bit of finagling, the second time it was a breeze.

Here's a tip...

Remove your center console, remove shifter boot and shifter handle, remove shifter arms from transmission, jack up rear of trans and remove trans mount, un-bolt the shifter from inside the car, remove the shifter plate from the transmission. Now you can start unbolting the trans itself.

That ought to get you started....

Good luck.

wow, I hadn't meant to hi-jack your thread here Paul with my own project but to reply to all:

I have GOOD jackstands! I made sure of that when I first started doing my own work about 2 years ago. I shelled out the extra couple of dollars and went with the 6-ton stands instead of the 2 or 3 ton models. I liked the extra safety margin PLUS they have a wider footprint fro better stability when lifting and lowering the car on and off them so they won't tilt as easily.
I'm also going to see if someone I know that has a big garage and a lift in it will allow me to use their lift for the removal and reinstall process and allow me to keep my car there during the rebuild if he can spare the room for the few weeks it will take. If so it will make life a lot easier than fighting the tranny on my back but otherwise it will be on the stands in my garage.
When I put the car on stands I always push it HARD on the sides, front and rear to make sure it's stabil on the stands. If it's not and there is a chance it will fall I'd rather find out standing above it than be underneath it since I'm too fat and there ain't enough room for me under the car if it comes down......
Someone on the other forum had the Muncie rebuild video and generously made a DVD copy and sent it to me so I can try to follow that plus i'll see if I can find a book also to look over the procedure.
Basically I'm only doing it myself because I don't have the money to pay a professional to rebuild it for me so I'll have to figure out and learn to do it myself - just like everything else I've been doing myself on the car(s).
You can be sure I'll be taking LOTS of pics as I go along!
Paul, thanks for the tips to get me started, that will be a help for sure. Hey, since it looks like the A/C is getting put off for another year (again!) want to come for a weekend and help with a tranny job?? ;LOL

...it's also a good time to clean the underside with a good degreaser, wire brush the frame, degrease and paint, etc.

...i see that you have side pipes and they're probably aftermarket...most guys simply took off the exhaust pipe hanger that sits under the tranny and didn't put shims under the tranny to re-establish the correct driveline angle...now is a good time to slip a couple of body/hood/bumper shims to get back to specs

Paul, thanks for the tips to get me started, that will be a help for sure. Hey, since it looks like the A/C is getting put off for another year (again!) want to come for a weekend and help with a tranny job?? ;LOL

All kidding aside, It's pretty busy up here this time of year......

As soon as the lift arrives, I have to put my car up and pull my own trans to replace a bad pilot bushing. :bang All that work to replace a $10 part.....;squint:

Paul, I wasn't expecting a "yes" anyway but you never know, besides, I know Linda would love to get together with Teresa again sometime. :)

Barry, We'll be travelling down to Southeastern VA for the birth of my 3rd grandchild at the end of Feb, and down to Northern VA for the 4th grandchild in mid-April.

Maybe we can stop by during one of those trips. We'll see as the time gets closer. My car needs a long run anyway..:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom