Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

LT4 New LS3 but still like LT4's

1996 LT4 Topic

AlHewitt

Corvette
1996 LT4 CE Z51 - 2010 LT3 GS
In mid June I took delivery of a 2010 GS with the only engine offered, the LS3. After 1000 miles on the C6 I've decided to keep my CE LT4, I'm keeping the GS too. I had the LT4 on the market but prices are soft these days and I feel the LT4 will command more in terms of resale value some day. That is more than most buyers are offering today. So that is the excuse I'm using with my wife to keep both Vettes. Truth is I like the LT4 and always have. After a couple of them - with an LT5 in between, the LT4's are, as said by many, the best bang for the buck...
I’d like to contrasting the LT4 with the LS3 - in case some on this list have never experienced either; first off they are both great engines, both have roller lifters and rockers, electronic ignition and fuel injection. My first ride in an LT4 was 10 years ago and I was impressed with its low end torque and wonderful manors. It stops pulling at 6300 RPM but what a ride up to that point. Idles smooth and starts every time with a flick of the key. Throttle response in immediate as the butterfly valve is directly connected to the gas peddle. My first ride in the LS3 was the fill-up trip to a gas station provided by the dealer. It has throttle by wire and is somewhat lethargic compared to the LT4. It has superb low end torque and is very mild until you ask it for more. Then it wakes up, WOW. The HP and torque numbers are different between the two but so are the cu. in. and fuel consumption. Step hard on the LS3’s gas peddle and you need to steer as it gets squirrely. The exhaust is seductive. The LT4 sound different, maybe it the transmission being closer to the driver.
The 2010 GS Vette has more refinements, remote oiling, launch control, it is quieter, oh and it smells new. But the C4 has the best looking rear end of any Corvette. Say what you will about C1’s or C2’s rear ends, IMHO the C4 is the best looking of them all. There are many differences between the cars not the least are the engines. The hassle of crawling over the frame on the C4 to get in or out it is gone in the C6 and C5 for that matter. The hood on the C4 is to die for, open it up and you have the engine, tires and suspension all exposed. The C6’s hood is, well, not as nice.
LT4’s are cheep these days unfortunately for us own one, but maybe this is an opportune time for buyers looking for a great ride. If you want a one look no farther than the LT4, you won’t be sorry... Al

Congrats on the new ride! I agree with your assessment of the new Corvette. My LT4 was featured in Corvette Magazine in July, as a comparitive to the new GS. During the photoshoot, I drove the new GS. Its an amazing car, but the 96 is much more fun to drive...for me. Also, I could barely adjust to the clutch in the GS. It was springy and I had trouble controling the engagement.

Congrats on the new ride! I agree with your assessment of the new Corvette. My LT4 was featured in Corvette Magazine in July, as a comparitive to the new GS. During the photoshoot, I drove the new GS. Its an amazing car, but the 96 is much more fun to drive...for me. Also, I could barely adjust to the clutch in the GS. It was springy and I had trouble controling the engagement.

That is a great article in CM and I enjoyed that comparison too. That would make you Mr. Robert Rissman. I like your car as I had a Torch Red 96 LT4 configured as yours also, that car set the bench mark for me and after selling it and buying an LT5 ZR1 I really missed the LT4 and I had to have another, the CE came along and the rest is...

I agree that the clutch is less forgiving in the GS as compared to the LT4. With just 1000 miles on the car I'm still adjusting to it and someday I may learn how to drive it. It is like stepping on a ball, if you get your foot off to the side the ball will squirt out, if you don't release the GS's clutch correctly the launch will be jerky. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this difficulty. The LT4's clutch is a piece of cake, easy to engage and very smooth. As I see it the LT4 is the best bang for the buck out there - however after someone spends what they did for a new GS they better like it too... Al

Yes, that's me. Honestly, there was such a difference in clutches that I stalled the C6 almost immediately after getting in. I backed up ok, but moving forward, I let the clutch out too quickly.

I actually had an opportunity to order a '10 GS to match the production number of my LT4....#6143. I was ready to roll with that, but the cost got in the way. The dealer here ( JJ Chev) wouldn't negotiate so I passed on it. I wonder if Corvette #6143 ended up being a GS.

So, just for Clarification Al, you had/have a C4 GS and a C6 GS, cause that is just plain cool.

PICT1589.jpg
So, just for Clarification Al, you had/have a C4 GS and a C6 GS, cause that is just plain cool.

My 96 is a CE - Collector's Edition with the LT4 and Z51 suspension, most options and 26K unmolested miles. I had it for sale but the market is soft. It sits under a cover in storage, begging to be driven...

I love the looks of the C4 itself. To me, the C4 was a sports car driving experience, you felt the car and the road. The rawness of the C4 was very appealing to me. It was a time I felt like a fighter pilot. :L I absolutely loved the Atari dash on the earlier C4's.:upthumbs

I actually had an opportunity to order a '10 GS to match the production number of my LT4....#6143. I was ready to roll with that, but the cost got in the way. The dealer here ( JJ Chev) wouldn't negotiate so I passed on it. I wonder if Corvette #6143 ended up being a GS.[/QUOTE]

If you are happy with the 96, keep it. It is a beautiful car.
The prices got soft(er) toward the end of the 2010 production run with the last 2010 coming off of the assembly line in late May. I took position of my GS in early May and got a $3K rebate from GM. A little over 6,000 GS where produced with 3700 of them being coupes. That is about half of the production run in Grand Sports, another 1577 were ZR1's and about 500 of the Z06's. In all 12K+ 2010 Corvettes were made.

Ya, no way I'd part with my LT4. I was just looking to add the GS with same production number so that I'd have a "matching set."

Any idea where I could find out what Corvette #6143 turned to be? If it were a red GS coupe, that would be very cool.

I actually had an opportunity to order a '10 GS to match the production number of my LT4....#6143. I was ready to roll with that, but the cost got in the way. The dealer here ( JJ Chev) wouldn't negotiate so I passed on it. I wonder if Corvette #6143 ended up being a GS.

If you are happy with the 96, keep it. It is a beautiful car.
The prices got soft(er) toward the end of the 2010 production run with the last 2010 coming off of the assembly line in late May. I took position of my GS in early May and got a $3K rebate from GM. A little over 6,000 GS where produced with 3700 of them being coupes. That is about half of the production run in Grand Sports, another 1577 were ZR1's and about 500 of the Z06's. In all 12K+ 2010 Corvettes were made.[/QUOTE]

WOW, only 12K+ Vettes where produced in 2010 model year. I thought 2009 was bad, production numbers haven't been that bad since 1961. I don't count the 97 Corvettes cause of the short model year. I hope GM doesn't consider killing the car. Anyhow, congratulations on the GS, If I had money that would be the C6 I would want, besides obviously the ZR1.

View attachment 258

My 96 is a CE - Collector's Edition with the LT4 and Z51 suspension, most options and 26K unmolested miles. I had it for sale but the market is soft. It sits under a cover in storage, begging to be driven...

That looks very good, especially such low mileage, id say that one is keeper, dont hesitate to take it out at least once or twice a month to maintain that enjoyable feeling.

I love the looks of the C4 itself. To me, the C4 was a sports car driving experience, you felt the car and the road. The rawness of the C4 was very appealing to me. It was a time I felt like a fighter pilot. :L I absolutely loved the Atari dash on the earlier C4's.:upthumbs

Speaking of fighters, and not that I would know how it feels, but when I'm driving my LT4 I feel like I'm driving an F-14! :Steer

The ricers are F5's. ;rice

I guess that makes the wife, "Goose". :pat

I do not know that number - but one could make an educated guess;
Of the 21536 total production run in 1996, 6359 had the LT4 engine or about 1/4th - all of theses of course had the MN6 - 6 speed manual transmissions. There was a total production of 1869 built with the Z51 suspension. My guess is most Z51 cars were also LT4 cars.
There were 5412 CE's built or about 1/4 of the total production run; only 1540 had the LT4 - again about 1/4th of the total built. Most CE's that I see with the LT4 engine have the Z51 suspension also. One could take that to mean that most Z51 cars were CE cars with the LT4 engine... Than may be a reach.
Soooo if there were 1869 cars built with the Z51 suspension - a performance enhancement option - again my guess is that most if not all were in cars with the LT4 engine - a performance enhancement option also. Al

I do not know that number - but one could make an educated guess;
Of the 21536 total production run in 1996, 6359 had the LT4 engine or about 1/4th - all of theses of course had the MN6 - 6 speed manual transmissions. There was a total production of 1869 built with the Z51 suspension. My guess is most Z51 cars were also LT4 cars.
There were 5412 CE's built or about 1/4 of the total production run; only 1540 had the LT4 - again about 1/4th of the total built. Most CE's that I see with the LT4 engine have the Z51 suspension also. One could take that to mean that most Z51 cars were CE cars with the LT4 engine... Than may be a reach.
Soooo if there were 1869 cars built with the Z51 suspension - a performance enhancement option - again my guess is that most if not all were in cars with the LT4 engine - a performance enhancement option also. Al

That would make sense, only, I believe you need to subtract the number of LT4's that were Roadsters, because, the Z51 Suspension was not available on the Roadster. It was a Coupe only option

Count me in...

I bought my 96 LT 4 coupe 2 weeks ago and I can't stop smiling. I love it, my wife loves it... It is without question it's absolutely the most Corvette of the least money. Mine is a Green Coupe w/ Tan interior...one of just 368 built. I bought it from the original owner w/ 98,000 miles, no leaks, pulls like a freight train, a few minor dings to address but the plan from the start was to own a car I could drive without regret. Now, I regret it each time I have to park it. So, count me in. This is my 3rd Corvette. Bought a 66 Big Block Coupe after my 1st WestPac Cruise and then my wife and I bought a 66 Roadster in 1976 for $2500 and sold it for $7500...at the time, I thought it was all the money in the world. I reget selling them both. But, I am so pleased with my latest purchase. It was hard to find an LT 4 for the right money...heck, it was hard to just find an LT 4. We now refer to her as the "Green Flash!" :D

Whats not to like about a aluminum headed screaming small block,Kevin.

Override the 1st to 4th Feature?

Okay, one thing that does bugs me on my LT 4 is the 1st to 4th shift feature...I see there is a pulg in system (Corvette America) that will override it. I've also seen other owners that have replaced the stock shifter with a Hurst Short Throw shifter-linkage...what they don't tell me is that the Hurst system overrides the 1st/4th feature...would love to know what you all think.

Okay, one thing that does bugs me on my LT 4 is the 1st to 4th shift feature...I see there is a pulg in system (Corvette America) that will override it. I've also seen other owners that have replaced the stock shifter with a Hurst Short Throw shifter-linkage...what they don't tell me is that the Hurst system overrides the 1st/4th feature...would love to know what you all think.

Hurst shifter does NOT bypass the 1-4 shift lockout, there is an electrical solenoid that controls the lockout. The plug-in connection must be disconnected and replaced with either a commercial skip-shift eliminator or a resistor of your own construction.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom