Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New member here.. Please educate me!!!

kenlperry

Corvette
1999 White Hardtop Coupe
Hey folks. I just bought my first Corvette, a White 1999 Coupe. I love this car and just want to get as much advice/info as possible. Some starter questions I have are:

1. Why do some Vettes have that horizontal line on the door and some don't, even though they are built in the same year?

2. What is the difference between the Z06 and regular models?

3. Can 20-inch tires be fitted comfortably or would I be better off going with 19's?

4. How can I tell if that 1-to-4 shift modification has already been applied to my car?

Thanks!

KP

Hey it's good to have you here. Congrats on the vette. Got some pics?

I just bought my 99 White Fixed Roof Coupe a month ago. It's got side moldings and I like them.

1.) It's just an option (I think)

2.) Z06 is the big daddy. More HP, bigger brakes and I assume dif. suspension too. They are also only avail. in fixed roof coupes. They started making them in 2001.

3.) Don't know but some one will, 20 is pretty huge.

4.) I guess if you don't get a light between 1 and fourth when you are driving conservatively that would be a good indication the mod has been done.

I'm sure someone else has more details and more accurate info than me.

Hey Johnny, thanks for your resposes. U answered another question I had too(I was wondering what FRC meant, and now I know). I just got my car 2 days ago and haven't taken any good pics yet, but I plan to this weekend, just as soon as I give it a good washing. Oh yeah, regarding the 1-to-4 shifting thing, I do get the light when driving conservatively, but I've seen alot of posts that say even when the modification has been made that you will still get that light, so I was just wondering if there is some easy way to verify if that modification has been made, since I do get that light pretty regularly(it's starting to bother me already)...

kenlperry,
Welcome! You threw me off with your C6 avatar :L
Johnny's right. The line is called "BSM" or body side moulding (molding?) and it was an option. In the past, there has been lots of debate whether the molding is better, or clean lines are better.

The Model Center is always fun to dig through for good information and specs.

Tires- I don't know the answer to that one...

The skip-shift- it may be disabled even though the light comes on. It depends on how extensive the mod was to disable it. If you're still getting the light, then one way to tell is by driving conservatively, watching for that light, and then trying to shift into 2nd gear when you see the light. If you can't shift into 2nd, then you DON'T have the mod. If you can shift, then you do have it. Another way would be to crawl up under the transmission to look for the little bypass thing, but that's a lot of trouble.

Congrats on your 99 FRC!

Tammy

smilies-42650.png

Hi KP! I see Johnny and Tammy have stepped in to answer some of your questions. I'm afraid I can't add much - I'm running stock tires on my '98 'vert and it's an automatic so all that talk of lights and shifting is beyond me. ;)

Tammy did mention the Model Center - which is a great place to start learning about Vettes. There's a wealth of information there... here's a link to the 1999 Model page - Click ME

BTW - my 'vert has the Body Side Moldings included on it - I like them. In fact, it was on my shopping list when I was searching for my C5.

Enjoy your new Corvette and the forums... And post pix when you can - we LOVE 'em.

:wJane Ann

................The skip-shift- it may be disabled even though the light comes on. It depends on how extensive the mod was to disable it. If you're still getting the light, then one way to tell is by driving conservatively, watching for that light, and then trying to shift into 2nd gear when you see the light. If you can't shift into 2nd, then you have the mod. If you can shift, then you don't have it. Another way would be to crawl up under the transmission to look for the little bypass thing, but that's a lot of trouble.

Congrats on your 99 FRC!

Tammy

Sorry, but this explanation is backward. The object of the skip shift, or computer aided gear selection (CAGS), is to improve fuel economy. This is done by starting in first gear, as normal, but under light acceleration, skipping 2nd and 3rd gear, and going directly to fourth. The computer detects the rate of acceleration, and if its light enough, a solenoid engages, and 2nd and 3rd gear are blocked. The light on the dash shows this.

Therefore, if your car has the "mod", the CAGS eliminator, you can select 2nd and 3rd gears at any time. So, if you can lightly accelerate, and shift to 2nd gear without any blockage, your car has been "modded", even if the dash light comes on. Welcome to the club...This mod was the first thing I did to my '01 coupe.

Therefore, if your car has the "mod", the CAGS eliminator, you can select 2nd and 3rd gears at any time. So, if you can lightly accelerate, and shift to 2nd gear without any blockage, your car has been "modded", even if the dash light comes on. Welcome to the club...This mod was the first thing I did to my '01 coupe.

Hey leadfoot, so tell me this.. My light comes on and goes right back off and I can switch to 2nd gear. But if I try to switch at the exact same time the light is on then it feels like I can't switch into 2nd gear. So my question is, under normal circumstances(without the mod) does the light stay on until you switch to 4th gear, or does it come on and go right back off like mine seems to be doing?

Might light comes one for a little while and then I go to shift. By the time my foot has the clutch to the floor the light is off and I can shift into 2nd with out an issues. Maybe my car has the mod done?

Is it bad to skip gears without the mod? Sometimes get on it pretty good and really don't need to shift into fourth and go to fifth or sixth from 3rd. I wouldn't think so but I'm just making sure.

Thanks Gang

Hey leadfoot, so tell me this.. My light comes on and goes right back off and I can switch to 2nd gear. But if I try to switch at the exact same time the light is on then it feels like I can't switch into 2nd gear. So my question is, under normal circumstances(without the mod) does the light stay on until you switch to 4th gear, or does it come on and go right back off like mine seems to be doing?

It sounds like you don't have the mod. The light will not stay on until you shift into 4th gear. The object of CAGS is to save gas and would therefore try to force you to 4th gear from 1st under light driving conditions. Once the RPM's are up above a certain point the light will go off and allow you to shift to 2nd. My problem with CAGS is that it would force me into 4th at what appeared to be different circumstances and I could never get used to it working one time and not the next. Even with the CAGS eliminator the light will still come on. If you have the computer programmed to defeat this then the light will not come on.

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=33993&dept_id=1748

Get one and not be bothered by it again. :)

And welcome to the CAC!

Leon

Might light comes one for a little while and then I go to shift. By the time my foot has the clutch to the floor the light is off and I can shift into 2nd with out an issues. May my car has the mod done?

Is it bad to skip gears with ot the mod? I wouldn't think so but I'm just making sure.

Thanks GanG

I've installed the CAGS bypass in each of my 6 speeds. The light comes on, but does not prevent me from shifting to second or third. The CAGS mod fools the computer when it sends the signal to the tranny not allowing the solenoid to operate. It is sooo easy to install, but you do have to jack up the car on one side. Remember, the tranny on a C5 is behind the tunnel, not in front as is the C4. Just unplug the connector, and install the two part CAGS, then tie down the CAGS to the frame. You can buy the CAGS at ZIP or MAMW for about $20. It is worth the installation as you will not have any problem shifting, but the light on the dash is not eliminated by the CAGS. There is no problem with skipping gears. but at low speeds when the first to fourth engages, the corvette "lugs" a bit in my opinion. I too did not think I needed the CAGS and several times got "caught" by the first to fourth. I am pleased with how easy the CAGS installs. Just look under the car; the CAGS should have two blue colored end clips. Look at the catalog pics if you are wondering what the CAGS looks like. MAMW has a install diagram that you can print from their site.

Good luck, and enjoy trouble free shifting.
Barrett

If the shift pattern doesn't drive you nuts it has been changed.

If you have had the feeling that someone has been slipping you drugs or that you are getting too old and have been having troubles with hand/eye or "round peg square hole" stuff, your shifter is as it came from the factory.

:)

Ok. Thanks!! But do I need it? This is where I'm confused.. I'm not exactly sure how the 1-to-4 is supposed to work from the factory. Let me explain. My light comes on and goes right back off and I am able to switch into 2nd gear. So what does this mean? SHOULD I NOT BE ABLE TO SWITCH INTO 2ND GEAR, EVEN WHEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT OR SHOULD I??? I feel kinda stupid asking, but I need to be clear before I order this part :)

Ok. Thanks!! But do I need it? This is where I'm confused.. I'm not exactly sure how the 1-to-4 is supposed to work from the factory. Let me explain. My light comes on and goes right back off and I am able to switch into 2nd gear. So what does this mean? SHOULD I NOT BE ABLE TO SWITCH INTO 2ND GEAR, EVEN WHEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT OR SHOULD I??? I feel kinda stupid asking, but I need to be clear before I order this part :)

From what I understand....there are a certain number of parameters that must be met in order for the car to skip shifts like it does. Anything from Rpm's, throttle, engine temp, and more.

I'm not really sure what the light does...Just ignore the light. You're not required to do anything when that light comes on. The skip shift will occur automatically when those parameters are being met regardless of that light.

If you're an aggressive driver - letting the rpm's get higher before shifting, chances are....you'll never experience the skip shift. But if you're just driving around doing normal shifts (or what normal is for YOU) - you'll soon notice the shifter will automatically divert itself into 4th gear without you moving it there (when or if you're within those parameters).

Try some experiments...... Try driving around and shift into 2nd when the light comes on and see if you notice it diverting the shifter to 4th.
Or...... Try avoiding the light by giving it more gas. Let the light come on and then let it go out - then shift into 2nd after the light goes out. You'll soon learn what that light is for...

As said before, the computer takes into account RPM, vehicle speed, engine temp and applied throttle. When the light is on is the only time that the system is engaged. If you mash the pedal the computer will realize that you want increased acceleration and will turn the light out. If you can't shift into 2nd when the light is on then you do not have the mod. I added it because it would frustrate me not knowing when it was going to kick me out of 2nd gear. It's frustrating to miss a shift because the computer wouldn't let me into second.

Spend some time with the car and get a feel for it. If it doesn't bother you then don't worry about it. If, after some time, you find it to be intrusive to your driving style then look at getting one.

Installation is super easy and there is a full write up here:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22908&highlight=cags

Enjoy and feel free to ask any questions you may have. We're all glad to help you out!

Leon

Thanks everyone! I'm really liking this site already. I truly appreciate all the feedback and quick responses... Thanks again!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom