Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New member/new C3 owner

bjax

Corvette
1978 Frost Beige (all original, but not for long)
Hello fellow C3ers, I'm the new kid on the block and wanted to introduce myself. After a VERY long wait, a 20 year career in the Army, helping to raise a family, and starting a second career I finally got to the point I could buy a Vette....just like the ones I used to inspect coming off the truck, clean/detail for the showroom where I worked as a kid at the local Chevy dealer way back in the 70s. Just purchased an unmolested 78 base L48...bone stock, two owner with 80K miles. It's had one respray but other than that, it's a true survivor. It has several little things that need attention, so I'm pouring through the forums to find tips and suggestions on troubleshooting and repairs. Look forward to getting to know all of you!! My son owns a powder coating and hydro dipping business so I'll educate myself on the "supporting vendor" and "advertising" sections of the site and maybe can bring some member support based on the rules etc...

Your story sounds similar. Not that I had a 20 year military (only 6 years) career, but that I have recently re-connected with the C3 corvettes and just joined this forum today. I think the C3 is the classic American sports car. My friend and I each purchased a 1978 "silver anniversary" edition. I say "silver anniversary" because I am not so sure that after the hack jobs that were done on each of them if they would even qualify as a silver anniversary edition.

In any event, we did not buy them to restore for show. We bought them to restore for driving and enjoying the classic look of an era, that in my view, can never be replicated. We are running into some challenges, but with forums like this, we have been able to overcome most without incurring huge expenses.

It has been almost 35 years since I turned a wrench but I can tell you it is all coming back to me and I am having a blast getting out of my business attire and into my mechanic attire to work on the cars every chance I get. In fact we are both selling our Harleys because all spare time is devoted to restoring and cruising in our 1978 vettes. The wives are also enjoying weekend cruises with the tops off. The T-Tops that is... but now that I say that... what a fun idea! LOL

Good luck to you and I am interested in learning what challenges you have had and how your resolved them.

Jim R.

Thanks Jim!

LoL...I sold my Harley as well. In fact the day I sold it on ebay I bought the Vette immediately. I knew I'd need something in the garage to "tinker" on. I had virtually ran out of things to do to the Harley, not so sure that'll be the case with the Vette. I've already put a long list together and started prioritizing based on need vs. can wait/cost$$. It should be an interesting venture..

Now that's where we differ a bit. I promised my wife I was only looking and I would not buy until I sold my Harley. It is a 2010 Street Glide, immaculate with only $12,700 miles and many extras, listed for $14,000 if you know anyone.

Back to vette story... But apparently when the vette bug bites, it is hard to make good on that promise. At least for me it was. I purchased before I sold my Harley.

By the way, I moved to Memphis, TN from Baltimore, MD about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. Post some pics of your project as it progresses and I will do the same once I figure this forum site out,

Jim R.

Welcome aboard to both of you! And congrats on the "new" car.

Now that's where we differ a bit. I promised my wife I was only looking and I would not buy until I sold my Harley. It is a 2010 Street Glide, immaculate with only $12,700 miles and many extras, listed for $14,000 if you know anyone.

Back to vette story... But apparently when the vette bug bites, it is hard to make good on that promise. At least for me it was. I purchased before I sold my Harley.

By the way, I moved to Memphis, TN from Baltimore, MD about 5 years ago and haven't looked back. Post some pics of your project as it progresses and I will do the same once I figure this forum site out,

Jim R.

I'd recommend ebay for selling the Harley, I've bought and sold 4 Harleys and 2 cars there and hadn't got burned yet. My Harley sold within two days of listing it. I'm originally from Alabama, so you know I'm a fish out of water in Maryland! I was in the area when I retired from the Army and the job market was way too tempting to pass on, so here I am plugging away and fighting the horrible traffic with a 70 mile round trip a day commute! As soon as I figure out the pic posting routine I'll get some pics up as well..

Bill

here's some helpful information to posting pictures.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com.../128319-how-do-i-include-photos-my-posts.html

Here's the way that I do it, more often than not.

I use a secondary place to store my pictures (Photobucket.com). Membership is free and you can upload photos there.

Go to Photobucket.com and open a new account, it's free. Once you have your account you can upload pictures from your computer to photobucket. Once your pictures are there you will see your pictures, click on the picture and out beside each picture you will see 4 lines with code beside each. You need to click the bottom line of code

Links to share this photo

Email & IM

Direct

HTML

IMG

What you want is to copy the code beside the "IMG Code" (it will look something like this:

[URL]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/toms94/Corvetteemblems002.jpg[/URL][/IMG)

Once it has been copied you paste that code into your post and the pictures will show.[/QUOTE]

If you need help with it further contact me.

Tom - See more at: [URL]http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/private.php?do=showpm&pmid=172567#sthash.cMn6lp9k.dpuf[/URL]

Thanks Tom for the step by step tutorial! Even I can't screw that up!;LOL;LOL

Welcome. My advice would be to tune your 78, then drive it the rest of the summer to get acquainted with it. Don't make any major changes to it for the time being. By fall, you'll begin to have a better feel for the car and can go from there.

:thumb

Welcome. My advice would be to tune your 78, then drive it the rest of the summer to get acquainted with it. Don't make any major changes to it for the time being. By fall, you'll begin to have a better feel for the car and can go from there.

:thumb

That's what I would do too. Every vette has issues, you'll know soon enough what needs your attention.

Welcome to the group.

I'd do the same as everyone else; I'd drive it and enjoy it. Fix what limits the driving and enjoying, then decide what you want to do.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom