Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Model Problems?

leftyvette

Corvette
2000 Torch Red Coupe
I am considering moving up to a C6. What are your opinions concerning any first year problems that the 2005 has?

Column Lock

Column Lock.

Do a search on column lock and you can decide for yourself.

~~~~~~~~~

To owners of 2005 model year Vettes: The OP came here looking for opinions and facts. The fact is that the column lock and its associated components can be a problem even after the flash and other so-called fixes have been applied. IMO this fact should be mentioned here so the OP can decide for himself.

Never had a column lock problem with the C5s or the C6, any issues are minor and few with my C6.

Now the service active handling thing is another story, still pops up every now and then.

HI there,

Lets be very clear.

Column lock is 90% caused by low battery voltage and on c6, it was virtually non existant.

As for other issues, battery drain on the 2005 was rampant, due to programming issues with Corvette within a few modules. So your programming would be something to confirm.

Also, have your local GM dealership run a VIS on your Corvette to see what warranty repairs were done.

Allthebest, c4c5

Column Lock.

To owners of 2005 model year Vettes: The OP came here looking for opinions and facts. The fact is that the column lock and its associated components can be a problem even after the flash and other so-called fixes have been applied. IMO this fact should be mentioned here so the OP can decide for himself.

So..."PeterG"...what are the facts on the C5 column lock? Also, keep in mind that "facts" and "opinion", "rumor" or "unsubstantiated speculation" are not the same.

The 2005 6 speed that I have had since 10/11/2004 was one of the so-called battery problem cars. Although it was a matter of getting used to always putting it in reverse there was one time that it was in the proper position and the battery went dead anyhow. The dealership reprogrammed it and the issue has never come up again. As far as repairs done under warranty they replaced a hatch release switch, one hatch strut, and a gas cap.

I personally don’t have as much fondness for the C6 as I did for the C5s I owned. The difference between the ’04 and the ’05 was looks and gadgets. Many of the refinements of the C6 were in place on the ’04. Yes, it is not a C5 but could have been a much better C6.

So..."PeterG"...what are the facts on the C5 column lock? Also, keep in mind that "facts" and "opinion", "rumor" or "unsubstantiated speculation" are not the same.

Hib,
May I ask a clarifying question? Did you mean to write "C5" in a thread about column locks in the C6 forum? My understanding is that the column lock issue and fix for C5s was rather widely disemminated in the form of TSBs and recalls in 2005.
:confused

The dreaded crank bolt issues of early C6s are enough to scare anyone away from early C6s, but I would think the bad ones would have all failed by now.

I've had the rear end serviced 3 times on my '06 to stop noise. I assume that the '05 would have similar noise issues with the rear end. The noise is a clunking sound when cold and making tight turns like out of the driveway and on to the street and in parking lots. My '08 has not had rear end noise issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you Hib. I appreciate your insightful explanation regarding differences between facts, opinions, and etc. You obviously deal with people who do not understand that words have meanings.

It is reasonable for C5 and 2005 C6 owners to defend their column locks. After decades of Corvette ownership, I understand that our Corvettes become personal to many of us.

It is surprising that you, a mature and experienced journalist, would attempt to distract this thread from providing helpful research advice to a nasty defense of a feature you should be familiar with. The column lock has cost some C5 owners several hundreds of dollars in repair work, much aggravation and frustration when debating with dealers and GM about whose responsibility the problem was, and driving time lost due to GM's denials of culpability. You may recall that after years of denial, GM was forced to attempt to correct the column lock problem on C5s.

You may also recall the ongoing attempted fixes that failed to remedy the problems. I recall the failed relay fix, the incorrect wiring harness failed fix, the flash failed fix, and the rebuild of the steering column failed fix.

I also recall the three flatbed journeys to the dealer my C5 took. I recall the DIC instruction to "Wait 10 sec" and try again failures.

You and I know that there were many C5 owners who suffered and some who paid for repairs before GM acknowledged that the column lock problems were its responsibility.

Moreover many on this forum know that the C5 column lock problem was often not caused by a weak or dead battery. In a problematic situation such as this, who could know what might cause a problem on the 2005 C6? Some causes may have been eliminated in 2005, but anyone buying a 2005 should be aware of a potential problem.

The brazen audacity of GM to carry the column lock into the 2005 C6 demonstrates why GM is in its current situation: Ignorant, arrogant management.

The C5 & C6 Column Lock Situation In Context:

Anyone considering the purchase of a 2005 C6 should make himself aware of the column lock situation. Anyone considering acquisition of a specific 2005 C6 should be certain that all column lock fixes have been successfully applied to that car before purchase.

It is unnecessary for an excited new owner of his dream car, perhaps a 2005 C6, to be disenchanted if he encounters the column lock problem.

The C6 is a great car. This forum is a very positive, friendly, helpful source for all of us and is especially useful for those not yet experienced with Corvettes.

Those of us who started driving Corvettes in the 1960s are more accepting of GM's problems and the frailties built into Corvettes.

However many of today's first-time owners do not expect the sort of systemic problems represented by the column lock mechanism.

It is detrimental to all Corvette lovers if more people become disillusioned by a known and avoidable problem such as the column lock.

Peter

HI there,
And THIS IS EXACTLY why the internet can be so problematic

#1, c5 column lock and c6 column lock are completely different and should not be confused.
c5 uses and actuator, ignition lock cylinder and the BCM
c6 uses a column lock control module, actuator, BCM, RCDLR and a reverse switch at the transmission.

#2 c5 used voltage signals in between the actuator and the BCM
c6 uses data link communications between the control module and the BCM, NO DISCRETE signals that could be compromised by low battery voltage.

In over 13 years of service and over 300 c5 Corvettes repaired from column lock issues, 91.3 % were fixed by repairing battery issues or connections.

The rest were column lock actuators or feedback relays.

13 c6 column lock issues, 2 reverse switches, 9 batteries, 2 RCDLR reprogrammings.

Allthebest, c4c5

C4C5,

Thank you for your identification of the multifarious, complex, and interconnected components comprising the column lock system.

Your substantiation of the column lock system's complexity verifies the potential for problems with this theft prevention system.

You have validated the need to be aware of the column lock when purchasing a C5 or C6 Corvette equipped this system.

This column lock thread is a good example of how the Internet can help consumers learn more about products before purchase.

And the only reason why this theft prevention system was on the 1997-05, was because of federal motor vehicle standards, nothing more.

And in my personal experience, the problems stem more from the technicians not knowing the systems enough to correctly fix the problem.

Allthebest, c4c5

I had a 2005 C6 when they first came out. The biggest weak link I think is the rear end housing. I had the fuel tank gauge recall donw on mine which fixed it and no other problems with it. I would guess any recalls have already bee done on them by now. If you don't plan on doing holeshots with it then the rear end problem might not be such a big deal. They fixed that in 2006.

Experience Talking Here

I am considering moving up to a C6. What are your opinions concerning any first year problems that the 2005 has?

Well, to answer your question....my best friend has at present (bought new), a 2004 C5 Rdstr. I personally have driven the car many miles. I also have riden in the (C5) car many miles. I think the C5 is up around 80k now....(first 4 years was his daily driver....at times he needed a p/u or full-size SUV we would swap for a bit as I had both a older pick-up and newer SUV) I bought MY first Vette this past August ('09). Although not a first year ('05, I don't see much difference 05-09) C6, as far as I can tell all the C6's are for the most part alike (other than a few more hp few years later). To compare the (C5/C6) two and answer your question, it would be nice to know what is it that you want to know? As far as problems, BOTH cars are GREAT. The C6 doesn't have any issues I have found (up to 5600mi now) and the C5 did not have any issues I ever saw. Maybe I'm not picky enough. The differences to me are for the most part, personal taste. Yep, they do look a bit different and are totally different cars. As far as looks, PERSONALLY, I like the C5 look best. (I own a C6, I like it too, don't get me wrong). But the sleekness of the C5 is appealing to me. I would have one now....but this one being my first Vette, I wanted to get a new one that no one else has had. (maybe thats weird) I wanted my first Vette to be MINE, meaning no one else has had the key (FOB) but me.....The C5 was not Z51 equipped. My C6 is. The C5 rode just very slightly better. But thats cause of Z51 on the C6. The C5 seemed to have a little more elbow space as well. But I think C6 is a tad more narrow. But as far as reliability.....the C5 has been GREAT. My C6 (so far, only been 6 months) has been GREAT. If I had a C5 and I was in a position to keep it and get C6, I would. After I make last payment for my C6, thats exactly what I plan to do. Either get a C5 (in addition to C6) or get another C6 Z06. (I love those too). Just depends what my circumstance is in 2013 !!! :D

Orange09ntexas, thanks for your points. Often the first year of production for a new model will have some problems. My question was about any such first year problems for the 05 C6.

Like you, I do like the style of the c5 more than the C6. I have a 2000 model year and it is just getting too old for me to trust on long trips. This feeling is all in my head, but I can't seem to be comfortable with a car now 10 years old (even if it only has 40,000 miles on it). Anyone know a good therapist for my phobia? :W

I can't seem to be comfortable with a car now 10 years old (even if it only has 40,000 miles on it). Anyone know a good therapist for my phobia? :W

Yea drive it! Unlike many of the other sports cars out there. A Corvette is still a mass produced product that has shown it is very capable of years of excellent reliability. Many Corvettes are driven on a daily basis and are well over the 150000 mark. I have a couple of C4's with over 120000 miles on them and have had no problems doing daily and long trips (1500 miles).

Another way to look at things is what you would get out of your car if you sell it and what you have to pay to get into a car that is 5 years newer (you were thinking of a 2005). I'm willing to bet you could do thousands of dollars of repairs to your car (if at all nessassary) for the price difference.

Orange09ntexas, thanks for your points. Often the first year of production for a new model will have some problems. My question was about any such first year problems for the 05 C6.

Like you, I do like the style of the c5 more than the C6. I have a 2000 model year and it is just getting too old for me to trust on long trips. This feeling is all in my head, but I can't seem to be comfortable with a car now 10 years old (even if it only has 40,000 miles on it). Anyone know a good therapist for my phobia? :W

:L No phobia there....I'm the same way....except that your Vette is low mileage....and I'm sure well maintained with that mileage.....it's less apt to fail than one that's 10 years old with 150k!!! Some Vettes lead a hard life...yours does'nt sound like it one of those...:)

Yea drive it! Unlike many of the other sports cars out there. A Corvette is still a mass produced product that has shown it is very capable of years of excellent reliability. Many Corvettes are driven on a daily basis and are well over the 150000 mark. I have a couple of C4's with over 120000 miles on them and have had no problems doing daily and long trips (1500 miles).

Another way to look at things is what you would get out of your car if you sell it and what you have to pay to get into a car that is 5 years newer (you were thinking of a 2005). I'm willing to bet you could do thousands of dollars of repairs to your car (if at all nessassary) for the price difference.

I have heard of allot C4's approaching 200k and running fine. I like their looks also. I almost bought a "ragged-out" 40th anniv (93) ruby red. Had only 63k showing but had bad oil leak and was not garaged and parked out in Texas sun. Weatherstriping shot. Faded paint. Was a rdstr w/6sp stick. Only good things were 'stick' and mileage. That was in spring of '09. Decided to go ahead new one as my first Vette. Admittedly it was almost the C4 above. I think the single biggest thing that changed my mind was its hard for me to get in/out of C4 with that lip thats on the floor panel. I'm close to 6'3 and approaching big 50. Us old farts have learned to appreciate things like that. Anyway, I sure like the C6 Z51. Loads of fun.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom