Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Motor?

80VetteL82

Corvette
1980 L82 Black/Red
Im planning on dropping in a new motor into my 1980 L82 at the end of the summer, and Im trying to finalize my plans. I cant decide what kind of motor to go with. I was looking at either the ZZ4 or ZZ383. I also know a very very good custom engine builder who said he could build me a custom motor cheap. What do you guys think is the better route to go? Also, Id be swapping out the tranny for one with an overdrive. What do you think is better(or whats the difference) between the 700r4 and 200r4?
:ugh
Thanks,
80VetteL82.

Looks like some big projects ahead. Price out the 355hp/ZZ4 at a few places. Think you'll find them around $3800. Then see what your custom builder can do. Then go to Bowtieoverdrives.com and snoop around for awhile and check out the 700R4 and the 2004R's. I had their Stage II 2004R installed 2 years ago. The Stage II will handle 400hp, so the ZZ4 would be a nice match. And with the .67 overdrive ... pass on the 3.73's and go to 4.10's. At 75mph with the 2004R and 4.10's with 255/60/15's, you're looking at 2560 rpms. The 700R4 has a bit more agressive 1st gear, and the overdrive is .75 rather than .67 It also has a longer tailshaft, so you'll need to have the driveshaft cut down, not so with the 2004R. Let's us all know how things come along as it'll be interesting to see which way you end up going. Have a fun summer :lou :_rock

Thanks for the input. My builder said he could build the bottom end of a 383 Stroker for between 2k-3k(depending on part brands i choose). I know that is very cheap, but Im not worried about quality, he really knows his stuff. My toughest decision is really what I want to make the car.

Im knew to the overdrive trannies...what is the difference between the .67 and .75?

Nice car by the way. I just painted mine the OEM black. It had been painted red, but I put it back the the original Black on Red. I also just finished a complete front end rebuild (suspension/steering), replacing everything...what a job that was, those control arms are no fun. I also rebuilt the rear suspension swapping out the Gymkahana 7 leaf spring with a Composite Monospring. I did a lot of other work around the engine too, but yah the major project will be at the end of the summer.

Before
a26bb066.jpg

After
3coatsclear.jpg

Thanks for the compliment Kevin :beer So ... it's back to BlacK, eh ?? How sweeeet :D Regarding the the overdrive question ... the 700R4 with a .75 4th gear would reduce your rpms by 25% going from 3rd to 4th .... like from 3000 rpms in 3rd to 2250 in 4th (the overdrive). With the 2004R, a .67 4th gear would drop your rpms by 33% - from 3000 in 3rd to 2000 in 4th. Not a huge difference, but for me the deciding factor was not having to shorten the driveshaft. If you brought up the question here of 700R4 vs 2004R, it would be a toss up of which was better. Which ever way you go, that's gonna be one helluva ride when you're done.

My biggest concern would be the huge 1st to 2nd gear drop off of the 700R4 that the 200-4R does not have.(3.06 for the 700-R4,2.74 for the 200-4R)

I think you should go with the rebuild. Do you mean new as in brand new??? Or what really is a rebuild sold as new?? I assume you can get brand new motors from the dealer but isn't everyone elses just a rebuilt??? If thats the case you should probably have yours rebuilt...you can ensure quality.

Jim

jdp6000 said:
I think you should go with the rebuild. Do you mean new as in brand new??? Or what really is a rebuild sold as new?? I assume you can get brand new motors from the dealer but isn't everyone elses just a rebuilt??? If thats the case you should probably have yours rebuilt...you can ensure quality.

Jim

I probably wasnt to clear with the question. What I was wondering was should I:
  • Rebuild The original motor as stock and put in back in.
  • Buy a Crate Motor, and save the original motor to put back in later.
  • Have a Custom built motor from my local engine builder off of a new block and save the original motor to put back in later.
As of now Im leaning more towards having either a custom 350 or 383 built, but Im not sure thats why Im looking for input. Then I would save the original L82 and rebuild it as I go along, and then oneday if I ever sell the car put it back in. Hope that clears it up a little. :D
Thanks,
80VetteL82

I just replaced my L48 with a ZZ4 and so far I'm very happy with everything. I wanted a good driver with a little HP when I wanted it but not something that was too hot for the street. I think it's an excellent engine and it has a GM warrentee. I got a bunch of good advice from people here on this forum, when it came time to start it for the first time, it fired in less that half a revolution.
I thought about rebuilding mine but decided against it for 2 reasons, 1. Cost- by the time I had it all changed over and refirbished with everything it was more than a good crate motor 2. Even after checking my 30 year old block over I was still a little apprehensive about putting a bunch of money in a 30 year old piece of iron that still had a 2 bolt main. 4 bolt main was not required for my HP goals at this time but who knows, things change over time.
As far as storing the engine is concerned, even though it's a matching number to the car, my L48 and year isn't exactly a collectable so I'm not going to keep it, sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to some buyer down the road keeping these old engines. Your L82 might be different.

Good luck

Bill75 said:
I just replaced my L48 with a ZZ4 and so far I'm very happy with everything. I wanted a good driver with a little HP when I wanted it but not something that was too hot for the street. I think it's an excellent engine and it has a GM warrentee. I got a bunch of good advice from people here on this forum, when it came time to start it for the first time, it fired in less that half a revolution.
I thought about rebuilding mine but decided against it for 2 reasons, 1. Cost- by the time I had it all changed over and refirbished with everything it was more than a good crate motor 2. Even after checking my 30 year old block over I was still a little apprehensive about putting a bunch of money in a 30 year old piece of iron that still had a 2 bolt main. 4 bolt main was not required for my HP goals at this time but who knows, things change over time.
As far as storing the engine is concerned, even though it's a matching number to the car, my L48 and year isn't exactly a collectable so I'm not going to keep it, sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to some buyer down the road keeping these old engines. Your L82 might be different.

Good luck

Thanks for the input. Personally I think any #'s matching motor is worth keeping but thats just me. But with my L82 only 5,069 were made, so it should be a decent collectable someday. Also, 1980 was the last year of the L82.

Here's an article that was just put up on the R&C site. It might help clear up the GM automatic overdrive questions.

Rod & Custom

Not to long ago I wanted my tech to build a custom engine for me but he showed me a new GM ZZ383 he had in the shop and said "put that in". He showed me the build sheet and explained he couldn't build a comparable engine for the price of the new crate.

So he sold me on the ZZ383, along with that I wanted him to put in a 700R4 and rebuild the rear with a 3:73 while he was at it. Funny thing is he said "no" to the trans and rear. He suggested since the Turbo 400 and the orignal 3:08 rear were in good condition that I should wait until I try out the new engine. I'm happy I waited, I don't want either now, with a lower 1st and a 3:73 I'd never get this thing to hook up, the tires spin constantly! With the stock 3:08 rear I don't need or want OD.

Koop said:
Not to long ago I wanted my tech to build a custom engine for me but he showed me a new GM ZZ383 he had in the shop and said "put that in". He showed me the build sheet and explained he couldn't build a comparable engine for the price of the new crate.

So he sold me on the ZZ383, along with that I wanted him to put in a 700R4 and rebuild the rear with a 3:73 while he was at it. Funny thing is he said "no" to the trans and rear. He suggested since the Turbo 400 and the orignal 3:08 rear were in good condition that I should wait until I try out the new engine. I'm happy I waited, I don't want either now, with a lower 1st and a 3:73 I'd never get this thing to hook up, the tires spin constantly! With the stock 3:08 rear I don't need or want OD.

I was leaning more towards the 200-4R because it is said to be the best replacement for the TH350. The 200-4R has a less aggressive 1st right? So would 3.73s be alright with that?

Good points Koop.

A 1999 C5 Auto could have a 2:73 or the optional 3:15 rear

A 1989 C4 Auto could have a 2:59 or the optional 3:07

You stick a 3:73 in either one of those and I don't think you're going to take off much faster but you will smoke the tires more effectively unless you practice a ton.

The rear and trans you choose need to work with the HP/TQ curve of the engine you choose. Also consider how much rubber you can put on the ground. The C4 and C5 Automatics are a kick in the head to drive with the above ratios.

I was talked out of the same conversion you're considering by a major Vette Head. Looking back I think he gave me some good advice that left $ in my pocket for other cool toys.

I think you'd be spinning the tires all over the place with 3:73s and a 4spd auto.
The 200-4R would limit you if you ever decide to put in more HP.

A roller cam 383 with AFR heads would be killer! You could top the ZZ-4 by 100 hp and still be great on the street! You may even want to think about a ZZ-4 short block and have your engine builder do the rest! These days 500 hp is not a problem and they are still nice on the street! I just can't see the money for the heads that come on the ZZ-4! Up grade to the GM Fast Burn heads and the LT-4 hot cam, now your talking,430 hp! Same setup with AFR's and your close to 500 hp and still a sweet heart on the street.

HP, yes I'm addicted!

Al

Lots of good advice here. Bill75 hit on the two main points I usually make.

As far as selling your car to someone else and keeping the original engine for 'em? ...Realistically? You either 1) Won't ever sell the car or 2) if you do, the buyer probably won't care all that much about a numbers matching 1980. And if you've already got a hi-po engine in there, they likely aren't going to want it swapped out for a slower, original one. You've already upgraded other parts of the car...it's not going to be NCRS, so I wouldn't worry one bit about "numbers matching". The whole "numbers matching" is kinda played itself out, with the exception of the serious collectors, and pretty much only has relavence now to mint condition early C3's and prior.
Take the L82 and sell it to someone looking for one (son't expect a whole lot for it) and put that towards the money you spent on the new crate engine.

I have the stock rear end 3.08 in my car with the 700R4 and the ZZ4. My car is running very well. Will it light the tires up? Yes, if the conditions are all above average. But it's not hard at all to launch the car without spinning the tires. A ZZ383 might be a different story.

What's your overall goal that you are really going for? I think if all the stars are in alignment, I maaaaay just be able to pull off a 12.xx second quarter mile at BeechBend during CruiseFest with the setup I have. I have no doubts the Z383 would do it easily. Right now, with my ZZ4/700R4/3.08 rear combo, I'm in low 13's at the strip and 150+ top speed.

My less than 2¢... :D

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom