Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New old guy

yenkoguy

Corvette
10 former Corvettes
New on this forum, but long on Vette years. A SoFla American guy.

Welcome to the CAC!

Enjoy!

:Steer

welcome to CAC!!!:welcome
enjoy!!!!

Welcome to the rest of us old folks!!! Tell us about yourself and your 12 former Corvettes. Any plans for another?

Elaine

Thanks for the welcome.......I like this forum already. And I hope I can contribute to it soon. I hope another Vette is in my future.....or at least a Camaro SS. I've also been fortunate to have a few of them.
If I list my former Vette's we'll both start to cry....only a couple of them were brand new. I was lucky to work during school for a Corvette salvage and performance business.
Just a tease ....I've had 4 1967 427 /435HP cars acquired in verious states of disrepair.
The last car I personally owned was a white/red 1971 454 4spd conv.My favorite one I didn't keep was a 1968 factory L71/L89 conv...Corvette Bronze/Tabacco int. with beige top.
In the wheel business I am in now I get to drive a lot of late model ZO6's for example, so it keeps me in the loop. And hopefully I'll be able to buy a used one. BTW....I will not BS anyone about what I've owned, done, or not done. If I put it in writing I had it or did it.
Thanks so much for the welcome.

Awesome! We're very happy to have you with us, and I'm sure you can add much to this site...hopefully, you'll receive much in return!

Elaine

Welcome to our group, sounds like you've had some neat stuff!! Did you own a Yenko?

welcome again,

Welcome aboard. Enjoy !!!! :beer

Thanks again for the interest....No I never was smart enough to get a Yenko car. But I had some Yenko parts .
I grew up in Pittsburgh and graduated from Pitt. Many times as a kid I visited the Yenko dealership in the glory days. Don Yenko was often there after race weekends and that was when my friends and I would visit. Several times he invited us to his office which was really an unkempt room above the service department I believe. Loaded with trophies and memorabilia of course. One time he loaded us up with Sunray DX gear he was getting rid of !! How many of you remember the connection there ?? All the logos and decals I got were from the Lemans entered car.
I later went to graduate school at the University of Miami and saw him at the 24Hours of Daytona. Before his tragic accident. That is why I am a Yenko guy. He couldn't have been nicer to a bunch of kids who loved Chevies, and roadracing. You never knew what you would see there... once I saw a ZL1 block with a hole in it that you could put your hand through.
Later I went on to own a bunch of Vette's but none were from Pittsburgh. I also competed in the 24 HRS in a Camaro and have been a crew member many times. Once in a awhile I still drive by his dealership in Canonsburg , Pa. when I visit the area. The building has been a motorcycle shop and a flowershop. It was still there about a year ago. Oh the stories that building could tell. The family owned Yenko Honda for awhile, but I believe it has been sold. Maybe someone else on the forum will know the details.
Next time I'm in the area I'll be sure and take pictures I can post.
Thanks again for your interest.

Thanks so much for posting that article. I remember reading it before ,but completely forgot about it. I never saw that "67 car in person at the dealership. The first pro race I ever saw in person was Sebring in 1968. I saw the 2 1968 Sunray cars there and got to sit in one of them. The 67 car was a DNF I believe. The Penske Sunoco Camaro's driven by Mark Donahue among others , finished 2 and 3 overall behind a Porsche prototype and ahead of the 650hp+ Sunray Corvette's. It was amazing to watch the 302 CID Camaro's pass the prototypes and 427 Vette's on the over mile long straights. Shelby factory Mustangs were entered too and very competive with drivers like Jerry Titus. At that time Sebring was also on the TransAm schedule. That taught me that cubic money can beat cubic inches. And that maybe the Camaros weren't exactly legal.
I didn't mean to make this a nostalgia trip, but those memories are part of Corvette's tradition that other sports cars can only dream of. A final note, The Sunray 1968 cars were often at the Canonsberg dealership, and later sold for peanuts. There were also 2 AIR 1968 L88's entered at Sebring that year...owned by actor James Garner. And they were later sold to West Coast racers to conquer SCCA A-production classes and finally dethrone the 427 Cobras'.
Once again thanks for the interest.

THANKS FOR THE TRIP DOWN MEMORY LANE. I CAN ENVISION THE VETTES AND Z'S MAKING LAPS. I WAS NEVER THEIR BUT,VISIONS STILL APPEAR.

THANKS

And thanks for helping us remember. The history of these amazing cars is what it's all about.

No doubt you've visited this one -- http://www.airl88.com/

:beer

You're right it is a great site too. The AIR cars looked better on the outside when built but never were as fast as the DX cars. I could talk about this for hours. I love Chevy racing history. Keep the links coming anytime.

Welcome to the CAC. You won't get any complaints about the trips down memory lane.

Enjoy the site!

Tammy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom