Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: New Owner - a few questions...

GreenFields

Corvette
1966 427 Roadster
Hello everyone :)

My first post on this forum as I will be collecting a 1966 427 Roadster this weekend (from another forum member / friend).

The first question is reference the steering wheel - I'm 6'3" and found the stock wheel didn't give my knees/legs a lot of room; therefore, can anyone recommend a smaller diameter alternative which is (or looks) stock?

Second question, there seems to be a fair amount of play in the steering. The current owner has had the car checked out and was told that this was common/normal; however, I wondered if this could be improved upon. I know it is a classic car but I like to feel like the steering is responsive when in motion (especially when driving quickly) and that you don't need to turn the wheel 1-1.5" before the car actually starts to move from the current direction.

Any advice on this is welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

I am not aware of a small diameter steering wheel for a C2 that looks stock.

As for the steering play, I'd say 1-1.5-in. is too much. The steering on a C2/C3 chassis is 1950s technology. Even when all parts are new, there will be freeplay. As the steering box wears, it gets worse. If the car has power steering, which is the "linkage assist" system that dates to 1949, that also makes the freeplay issue worse.

If the car has worn steering parts, ie: tie rod ends, relay rod, idler arm, etc, that will increase play.

If the car is modified with wider tires and wheels, the freeplay issue is more noticable.

These cars' frames tend to crack where the steering box mounts to the left frame rail. Problems there can also contribute to steering feel.

Lastly, other problems not directly related to the steering, ie: worn suspension parts, loose wheel bearings, etc, may cause steering play.

You have two choices:
1) If you are good at DIY service work, you can get the factory service manual and adjust the steering box per the FSM

2) If you don't do work yourself, you need to have a service facility with experience working on recirculating ball steering boxes make adjustments or repairs.

the 1st generation Camaros had a steering wheel that looked very similar to the Vette wheel but a smaller diameter. I've seen people use them for the purpose you are describing.
I've considered it myself since I'm 6'2" and mostly legs so more legroom would be welcome.
The big issue though is a C2 without power steering, especially one with radial tires, is not the easiest to turn the wheel when stopped or trying to park. A smaller diameter wheel will just multiple the effort more so it's a trade off between legroom and steering ease.

Hal covered most of the issues regarding your steering play and they should all be checked out since pretty much any play in any of the componets will translate into play in the steering. Don't be surprised to find your steering box needing a rebuild though as many haven't been touched, not even to check the grease instead it, since it left the factory. A blueprinted rebuild can make a significant difference, especially if any worn items in the rest of the system are also dealt with.

Here are a couple links to excellent articles on rebuilding steering boxes:

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/suspension%20&%20steering/63-82_Steering_Box_Rebuild.pdf

http://www.lbfun.com/warehouse/tech_info/suspension & steering/Steering Box Rebuild.pdf

Thank you for your responses Hib and Barry! :beer

I guess as much with respect to the steering wheel - my guess is that I'll have to work on my bowlegged driving style :D

I may speak with Mota Lita and see what they have to offer but I'm not keen to sacrifice the stock look.

With respect to the steering play, I'll report back after I have a few miles behind the wheel. Perhaps it is to be expected but it seems too loose to me. ;shrug

I have a '66 Big Block Vert, I am 6'3' and 260lbs. I have no problem driveing her, don't change the wheel untill you get a few miles on her. If you do not have power steering, you may need that larger wheel at low speed.

I'm getting used to it.

There is definitely too much play but I'm going to keep the wheel as-is and get a mechanic to look over the steering rack, etc, when it goes in for a bit of work over the winter.

Congrats and welcome!

Hello everyone :)

My first post on this forum as I will be collecting a 1966 427 Roadster this weekend (from another forum member / friend).

The first question is reference the steering wheel - I'm 6'3" and found the stock wheel didn't give my knees/legs a lot of room; therefore, can anyone recommend a smaller diameter alternative which is (or looks) stock?

Second question, there seems to be a fair amount of play in the steering. The current owner has had the car checked out and was told that this was common/normal; however, I wondered if this could be improved upon. I know it is a classic car but I like to feel like the steering is responsive when in motion (especially when driving quickly) and that you don't need to turn the wheel 1-1.5" before the car actually starts to move from the current direction.

Any advice on this is welcome.

Many thanks in advance.

Greenfields,
Welcome to the site and to C2 ownership!
Your car is drop dead beautiful!

Enjoy! :w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom