Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New owner, electrical problems ... need help!

pounce44

Corvette
1994 LT1 Black Rose Coupe
Hi all ...

I've been lurking in the shadows of this site for several weeks now and finally purchased my first Vette several days ago. It's kind of a funny story in itself ... I was looking for a 3000GT and accidentally ended up at the wrong dealer (the 3000 was next door), but ended up falling for a purple '94 with just 66k on it. (Paid $11,250 ... I think this was a good deal?)

Anyhow, the car runs and looks great, but some electrical problems are starting to pop up that are totally baffling me. I've searched throughout the forums here but can't find my exact problems. So, any help you can give me would be much appreciated!

Problem #1: My turn signals have mysteriously gone out. No click, no lights, nothing, on either side. I can push in the hazard switch and everything works fine. At night, with the headlights on, I can hit the turn signal and the front side indicator lights will come on (same on both sides) and stay on, but the actual signal lights on the front and rear of the car don't come on. I've read some posts about replacing a flasher, but wouldn't the hazards also be non-functional if the flasher was the culprit?

Problem #2: The radio seems to occasionally retain power even after I've left the car. I can turn the ignition off, get out, close the door and walk away, and it's still playing (or, if I've manually switched it off, the backlight on the radio display stays lit). I temporarily solved this once by restarting the car, putting it in gear, then putting it back in park and shutting it off, which seemed to trigger the system to shut down. I'm thinking of replacing the whole stock system with an aftermarket system, anyhow ... would this solve the problem?

Speaking of aftermarket stereos, anyone have any good/bad experience with the install kits provided with systems sold by Cardomain.com for the Vette?

Sorry for so many questions (I've been saving them up). Really concerned about both of these since the first could lead to an accident and the second is certainly a dead battery waiting to happen.

Thanks!

Problem #1 Turn signals.

There are 2 flasher modules in the dashboard, 1 for the turn signals and 1 for the 4-ways.

Problem #2 I donno.

Okay, I keep reading that the flasher for the turn signals is behind a "hush pad" on the passenger side. Now I really feel like an idiot ... but what is a hush pad? I'm seeing nothing on the passenger side under the dash except for carpet and molded plastic. Are they referring to the big lower plastic panel under the airbag? I don't want to start ripping stuff out that isn't supposed to come out :)

Your car has the Delayed Accessory Bus.

The Delayed Accessory Bus system provides power to operate the Radio and Power Windows for up to 15 minutes when the Ignition Switch has been turned off but before the LH or RH doors have been opened.

When you open the door, the door ajar switch (located at the back of the door) sends a signal to the CCM (Cental Control Module) which removes a ground from the DAB Relay coil which removes the power to the Radio and Power Windows.

You can also turn the ignition to run and manually push the Door ajar switch in and out/release it. You should see the Door Ajar light in the Dash cluster light with the button out and the Door Ajar light should go out when the switch is pushed in.

If it's sticking, squirt some contact cleaner or WD40 in the switch.

The turn signal flasher is located under the dash towards the left side of the steering column.

Remove the carpeted panel above the driver side foot well.
You loosen the diag. connector and slip it aside. Remove the small bolts and the panel will drop down. Remove the electrical connector for the footwell light.

Lay on your back and look up under the dash. The turn signal flasher is round in shape and I believe it's silver in color.

Right on, ECSS! You're on the money with both of those. I finally located and replaced the flasher tonight and I have turn signals again!!! For the sake of those with similar year models that may read this post in the future, the flasher on the '94 is located exactly where ECSS said, and more specifically, it's about two inches toward the rear of the car from the hood release latch ... right behind it. It's hard to spot from under the dash as you're looking at the back of it, but if you peek through the metal plate under the steering wheel, you can see that silver little thing shining. Got a heavy duty replacement from Pep Boys for about $9.

On the second issue, the door switch definitely seems to be the problem, but I ran out of daylight before I could determine if the switch needs replacing or just lubing up with contact cleaner.

Thanks again, you guys. I was afraid it was a wiring problem and you probably just saved me at least a half day and who knows how much money at the shop!

great post ponce!!

It's been a while since this thread was alive but it saved me a cr$pload of headache. Can't thank you guys enough for the specifics on the location of the relay. A real bear to find if you don't know where to work...and the GM service books I have, worthless on this subject! Now my LED system is working properly :D Thanks guys!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom