Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

new p/s control valve

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
my new one came and on a piece of metal it says it needs to be centered and to see instrucions but there are no instructions whats the procedure for this and any special marks I have to make prior to dissasembly to get everything lined back up ?

I can't help you, but I'd call whoever you bought it from for the instuctions.
Hopefully someone else will save you the time of waiting for them to arrive and be able to tell you.
But I'd also tell them how much time they cost you!

Rick

topless82vette,

Here is a quote from a previous thread about the same thing ;)

Good luck.
Rare81 said:
sscam69,

First check the power steering fluid level, and what kind of condition it is in. Once you have the correct level and fluid is looking good.. Then,

Looking at the power steering control valve you will see a dust cap and the end of it (facing outward between the hoses) you can pop this dust cap off and there is an adjustment there to balance the control valve operation.

With the front wheels off the ground.. REMOVE the slave piston (shock looking device) from the FRAME bracket and push it all the way retracted..

DO NOT STICK YOU ARM THROUGH THE STEERING WHEEL TO START THE CAR!!!

Have someone start the car for you and watch what happens to the slave piston rod.

If the piston rod remains retracted, turn the adjusting nut CLOCKWISE until the rod begins to move out. Then turn it COUNTER CLOCKWISE until it just starts to move in... now adjust to somewhere near the middle of these two adjustments.

Same principle if the rod extends when engine is running, just reverse the proceedure above. Once you have the valve balance put the dust cap back on..

I replaced the power steeering control valve and am having problems. We adjusted the unit, which was easy enough but as soon as you turn the steering wheel in either direction it starts to buck.

Any ideas?

Bob

Getting ready to do this myself so I need to hear ALL responses. My control valve is leaking too.......

He kept at it and eventually got it. This was part of an overall frontend rebuild. I just drove it home and can feel a big difference even badly needing an alignment.

Bob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom