Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Project Beginning: 63 Coupe

richscorvettes

Corvette
1963 & 2007 Z06 Coupes
We've been trying to decide what our next project would be over this winter. We decided that a SWC would make an interesting project and, after three months of searching, we picked one up last month. I guess we've recovered enough from the last project to start a new one.
lol.gif

The car is pretty much a shell with most all the trim pieces as well as the engine, trans, interior, etc. long gone. But it should be a good starting point for our project.

I've added a new page to our web site (page 10) with some pictures of the body and interior. The pictures make the body look better than it actually is but it will be media blasted to reveal the extent of work needed.

Tomorrow the body comes off. I'll add new pictures of the project as we move along. Rich Lagasse

A beautiful collection of vette's Rich.

I particularly like the 62 and your garage!

Doug

Hi Rich. I'm happy to see you finally announcing your intentions. I've been itching to tell the guys.

We all know the end result will be spectacular no matter the direction you take.

All the best.

Bob

Rich, congrats on the new project. Just the few hints you've dropped make it sound like a very interesting toy indeed. Are you going to send out update emails or just update via the website? If the former, please include me!!

-Mac

Rich and Barb,

Can't wait to see the new car at Carlsile. You could probably recover most of the cost if you charged a quarter to view it there :D Yoor cars always seem to be one of the main attractions.

Good luck on the new project.

Tom McCabe

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. We appreciate it.

We will try to keep the new page on the web site updated as we progress. At this point I am not setting a completion date. I sometimes think we enjoy building them as much as driving them and will take our time to enjoy it.

See you folks in Carlisle.

Rich & Barb Lagasse

Best of luck on your project Rich.

I was thinking to my self when you aquired the car that another Chips choice was being built,and how cool it's was going to be to see it in the pavilon at carlilse when it was complete

But then I remembered that he was gone

I guess with his passing we will never see another chips choice display again.

Anyways best of luck

IH2LOSE said:
I guess with his passing we will never see another chips choice display again.
You are probably right about that but they may plan to do something in his honor in it's place. I believe that they had already planned a Corvette racer theme and that will likely go on with the support of some of his friends like Jim Gessner and Kevin McKay, etc.

Rich

Tinker..Tinker ...Tinker.... Corvette guys have to have a project to work on. We can't just drive em and leave them alone. If we don't work on them anymore because there done...we get another one or work on some one else's.

There's something about the juices flowing around in the brain when you work on your vette that relaxes you. Of course that's when evrything is going ok..and your not throwing tools at the wall.!!

I know thinking and planning about my BB conversion coming up this fall helps me to relax and keeps my brain from oozing out of my ears.

Good luck on your project Rich..and keep the pic's coming. I know I enjoy looking in on your web page and watching your progress. It's also nice to know that another MId Year has been saved and will be reborn again...

Larry,

Well, we have quite a few things going on with the project. I've finished the project plan and list of parts needed (now nine pages long!), been searching for the hard to find original pieces such as window moldings, etc., just finished having the body media blasted, bought all the suspension components, had a Dana 44 rear built and have a few pieces out for restoration such as the vent windows. I've also sold the rolling chassis that came with the car.

SRIII started building the tube frame last week and it should be finished (at least in it's raw form) by the end of this month. Then I've got to get it here and start the finish work on the frame and go through all that smoothing and polishing of the suspension pieces. That will take me a while to do. In the meantime I will finalize the choice of engine and source the transmission.

This project will take longer than the others since we are starting with a bare body shell and going further with the drivetrain, suspension and chassis. I also have quite a few new ideas for other subtle changes I want to make in other areas. I want to enjoy the project and take our time so we are not setting a specific target date at this point. We'll see how it all evolves but it should be fun.

Mark,

You are right about "tinkering". :D That's one reason why we got into the hobby and these cars have certainly given us the opportunity to do plenty of that. :L As far as being reborn I may have to call this one the "Pheonix" as it's certainly rising from the ashes..................

Hope to see you guys in Carlisle. We plan to take the 67 this year and are looking forward to it. We also plan to take the 62 to Maple Grove on the weekend of the 17th and out to the Mid-America Fun Fest in September. We hope to meet and chat with many folks from CAC at these shows.

Rich Lagasse

Rich I awaiting my final price quote from Mike on my frame and hopefully getting a check out to him today for him to start contructing my frame.(still dont have a donor body BUT THATS ONLY A TINY HURDLE) I plan on picking mine thursday night at the corvettes of carlilse show feild around 6pm or so(I made need voulenteers to help me get it on my trailer.)

Have fun good luck and Keep me posted.

I am going to be using a 700R transmition ( rear mounted one with boss's on the main case NOT ONE FROM A CORVETTE )that I am going to order this week from my tranny guy.

Larry,

Mike at SRIII sounds like a nice fellow and he certainly does nice work. It's funny but when we begin our 62 project, we didn't have a car yet either but put in the chassis order anyway. You should be able to find something at Carlisle so best of luck in the hunt. I'll still keep a lookout for anything else I see that might suit your project and let you know if I do.

We also plan to be in Carlisle on Thursday afternoon sometime so if you need help just let us know. I can give you our cell number so you can reach us.

Rich

Quote*
Hope to see you guys in Carlisle. We plan to take the 67 this year and are looking forward to it. We also plan to take the 62 to Maple Grove on the weekend of the 17th and out to the Mid-America Fun Fest in September. We hope to meet and chat with many folks from CAC at these shows.

Rich Lagasse
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah Rich..I'll be their with the 63-67 Stringray Registry on the show field. Stop by and say hello. I plan on relaxing and dinning & embyding in the evning as well as looking around and enjoing all the different year Vette's at the show.

Maybe I'll find a Nice ZZ454/440 BB Crate motor lying around at a good price. I would also like to get an eye ball on your 67 in real life.

See you their...

Mark,

We'll be on the Fun Display field likely around the same spot we had last year on the right side of the road heading toward the grandstand. We'll also plan to stop by the Registry. See you there.

Rich

Rick,

Don't know if you remember me, I met you several years ago at the Super Chevy Show, Richmond, VA. I had the highly modified 96 Camaro Z28 SS that took first place. I sat near you and your wife and we talked. Also, recently sent you email about my daughter moving to Enfield... I am just finishing a full body off resoration of a 63 Corvette Coupe. I have spend countless hours (and money) on putting this back together. I should have it at Carlisle and will be at the 63-67 Registry. Come by and say Hi...if I can help you out on hard to get parts let me know. I know were to find just about anything....

Good luck with project...

Collin,

Yes, I do remember your car - beautiful. :upthumbs Richmond was a great place but we haven't made it back there since then. Maybe when the 63 is finished we will.

I also recall your note about your daughter moving into town. Make sure to get in touch if you come for a visit. Hope to see you in Carlisle as well.

I'm having pretty good luck thus far in finding most of the pieces I need (which is mostly everything!) but I'll let you know if I run into a problem. I did find the rear window outer moldings and all but three corners of the inside rear window moldings. If you know of a source for those please let me know.

Rich

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom