Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Rotor suggestions

AZMike

Corvette
2001 Mil. Yellow Convertible
Well, it seems that after about 46k miles, I'm a bit warped (actually, I'm hoping it's the rotors and not me!) Since they've already been turned once, I'm thinking that I should just replace them - the pedal shudder and vibration are getting worse.

I'm looking for durable rotors at a decent price. The car is my daily driver and I don't do alot of all out hard-core breaking. However, being here in AZ, I do have to slam on 'em sometimes. I've upgraded to ceramic pads and like the performance, so I'm looking for rotors that can hold up to these as well. Any suggestions for new rotors?

One more thing - will I need new pads, or can I re-use the existing ones? They have about 80% of the material left on them.

AZMike said:
Well, it seems that after about 46k miles, I'm a bit warped (actually, I'm hoping it's the rotors and not me!) Since they've already been turned once, I'm thinking that I should just replace them - the pedal shudder and vibration are getting worse.

I'm looking for durable rotors at a decent price. The car is my daily driver and I don't do alot of all out hard-core breaking. However, being here in AZ, I do have to slam on 'em sometimes. I've upgraded to ceramic pads and like the performance, so I'm looking for rotors that can hold up to these as well. Any suggestions for new rotors?

One more thing - will I need new pads, or can I re-use the existing ones? They have about 80% of the material left on them.

Allthough I have not had to replace the brakes on my C5 yet.I do own a fleet of vechicles I am responcible for maintaining at work. I nver use the agressive pads as they destroy rotors. I would suggested going back to stock pads and stock rotors .It seems the agressive pads last forever because the rotors end up being softer/weaker then the pads.

Why do you think some of the more agressive pads you can purchase have a life time warrenty ?Its because the folks selling and installing them know youll purchase 3 sets of rotors from them prior to them having to replace one set of pads.

Good Luck and I hope some else may have a better recomendation

Look for a set of G-Force F1 slotted and cross drilled rotors on e-bay............I got mine for $189 plus about $25 for shipping.......zinc dipped and everything. I got them on and they work and look great. I went with the GM ceramic pads (again on e-bay for $103 from Jenkins Chevy in Chicago). $167 for installation at a local brake shop, and for less than $500, I was into brand new brakes and rotors...............

You got BOTH front rotors for $189? What a great price! I agree with the GM ceramic pads. You cannot beat OEM pads for the best of all worlds.

Save The Wave! :w

Napa rotors, approx $25.00 each. I tried them, work perfect for street driving with GM ceramic pads. If you like your ceramic pads, I would re-use them.

lt4man said:
You got BOTH front rotors for $189? What a great price! I agree with the GM ceramic pads. You cannot beat OEM pads for the best of all worlds.

Save The Wave! :w

I saw that deal and was wondering if they were any good. Sounds too good to be true especially for drilled and slotted. Have you put many miles on them? I'm glad to hear your endorsement. I may spring for the red calipers as well. They were gm and were half as expensive as Ecklers or any of the others.

Glenn W. said:
Look for a set of G-Force F1 slotted and cross drilled rotors on e-bay............I got mine for $189 plus about $25 for shipping.......zinc dipped and everything. I got them on and they work and look great. I went with the GM ceramic pads (again on e-bay for $103 from Jenkins Chevy in Chicago). $167 for installation at a local brake shop, and for less than $500, I was into brand new brakes and rotors...............

Are these the one's you're talking about? The price does seem too good to be true!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7983672579&category=33564

jrose7004 said:

I have two different friends that have put these on their corvette's, they both race (autocross, drag & open road race) and they have never had any problems at all.
I already had installed Baer Eradispeed Brake Rotors for about $800, wish I had known about these before that.
But I also installed these on my wifes '81 shark and she uses it as a daily driver & some autocross with no problems at all.

I can whole heartedly support these rotors.

LLC5 said:
Napa rotors, approx $25.00 each. I tried them, work perfect for street driving with GM ceramic pads. If you like your ceramic pads, I would re-use them.

It turned out that only the rears were warped. They weren't turnable anymore, so I just put a set of Napa rotors on for $70. Breaking is pleasant again!

BLACK MOON said:
I saw that deal and was wondering if they were any good. Sounds too good to be true especially for drilled and slotted. Have you put many miles on them? I'm glad to hear your endorsement. I may spring for the red calipers as well. They were gm and were half as expensive as Ecklers or any of the others.

No..........all FOUR for $189..........check the ebay link elsewhere in this thread. I've got a little over 1000 miles on them and the new GM ceramic pads are just beginning to bed in. Lots of black powder behind the wheels at first though...

Do yourself a favor and stay away from stock rotors, or inexpensive rotors for that matter. Fit Baer Eradispeed rotors, stay with the stock size on the rear. Use OEM pads from GM. High performance pads just dust the rims and eat the rotors. I have never looked back after this mod, it can be done in your home garage as well.

I did GM drilled, slotted rotors and ceramic pads from GM parts direct for $334.00 this spring. I can hardly see any wear on the rotors and have never seen any dust.

I've got GM Dura-Stop S&D rotors on my Z with stock Z06 pads. I've done several DEs with the car, and she stops on a dime.

The red center is a hat cover...

34476%3A2%3B23232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2333%3D986%3D98%3A%3DXROQDF%3E232357245%3B765ot1lsi

gmpartsdirect.com

I just went the gmpartsdirect.com route and got a set of slotted and drilled rotors and GM ceramic pads all around for $326.50.

A good purchase there but keep in mind that these rotors are not formed with drilled holes, they are actually drilled out with a machine. Expensive rotors are actually cast in a former to give it holes from manufacture. By cross drilling after the rotor has been formed sometimes, not always, compromises the integrity of the material. As with a GM rotor, they at least carry a warranty so if the warp you may be able to get them replaced after a very short period of usage......although rotors are classified as disposable items. At least with the Baer Eradispeed's which I purchased, they are covered for the lifetime of the car while I still own it and they are guaranteed to not warp. No matter how many miles you have on them, they will be replaced unconditionally. You may not get this kind of warranty with GM.
Please enjoy your vette and drive responsibly, brakes can only stop you in a distance which is relative to your speed.

how difficult is it to change rotors?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom