Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New spring seems thicker..

jims427400

Corvette
67 427 tripower,68 427 tripower,04 Z16, 62 340hp
I ordered a new 9 leaf spring for the 68 BB. Wanted to keep it original as possible so did'nt opt for the fiberglass. When I finally wrestled this thing in place, it seemed thicker than old one. Only getting about 4 threads into diff.cover.
Used a jack on both sides to try to flatten out spring to tighten bolts but started to raise car off jack stands.
I looked at all my parts catalogs and appears that only 1, 9 leaf spring is available.
Old spring measures 2 3/8 and new spring measures about 3". Will that eventually flatten out??

Do NOT bring those four bolts to full torque until the car is on wheels with full weight on the spring, or you can break the rear two ears off the rear cover. :eyerole

Got that figured out John, thanks.. becuase the bolts are now too short, I've got 4" bolts coming from paragon.
That spring install would have gone better w/ a helper,real pain in the ash by myself. 1 floor jack and 1 bottle jack gotter done.

Jim, I had to go to the longer bolts when I put in my new leaf spring years back. The new spring was just too damn stiff and the car simply sat too high with the stock bolts.

Evolution1980,
I was referring to the 4 bolts that attach spring to the carrier in the middle. Although I'm interested in your comment on stiffness and riding too high. When you went w/ the longer end bolts that lowers the rear of the car, did that help the ride of the car?? Or just after putting on some miles did it settle down??
I also had to go with longer bolts on the 67 to bring the back down..

I'm interested in your comment on stiffness and riding too high. When you went w/ the longer end bolts that lowers the rear of the car, did that help the ride of the car?? Or just after putting on some miles did it settle down??
I can't say how it impacted the ride of the car, as this was over 10 years ago and I didn't really take note. Also, I didn't let it go for very long. It was almost immediate that we decided I was going to need the longer bolts on the end. And even with the longer bolts I was still at the very end of the threads.
I can say that "yes, it did settle down in the rear after a while". Not a whole lot, but just enough. For a long time I had considered removing a leaf because it was so stiff... I like where it's at now, but it's only taken xx years to get there? :)

my imput

Hi Jim, sounds to me you have the wrong spring rate most or alot of supplyers sell covette springs with at least three spring rates, example Muskegons have standard rate 315, heavy duty 340 ,high performance, 355 and the standard rate is two and a quarter inches thick, you say yours are 3 inches, and like Evolution 1980 stated,it will take years to settle down you will never be happy with it, your car wont look correct, let alone the ride, this has happened to friends in other car clubs with normal coil springs especially at the rear, the correct suppler is im portant, or spring manufature, i would do a bit more homework, regards wayne.

I understand that the fiberglass springs work that way but this is the original style 9 leaf spring. Looked through all may vendor catalogs and they all just offer 1 option so I assumed it would be the stock version,not heavy duty..
I'm not going to be happy if theres more than 1 option and they werent clear on that.. Thanks
Hi Jim, sounds to me you have the wrong spring rate most or alot of supplyers sell covette springs with at least three spring rates, example Muskegons have standard rate 315, heavy duty 340 ,high performance, 355 and the standard rate is two and a quarter inches thick, you say yours are 3 inches, and like Evolution 1980 stated,it will take years to settle down you will never be happy with it, your car wont look correct, let alone the ride, this has happened to friends in other car clubs with normal coil springs especially at the rear, the correct suppler is im portant, or spring manufature, i would do a bit more homework, regards wayne.

If the spring came from Eaton Detroit Spring, you'll be happy with it; can't speak for any of the other reproduction springs. If it has clips near each end, remove them - they're only there to keep it aligned during shipping.

:beer

JohnZ,
I do have the alignment clips, once I put the car back on the ground to replace and finish tightening mounting bolts, I'll remove the clips. I dont see a name one the spring, it just looks alot stiffer. I'll find out soon enough..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom