Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: New T-tops Leaking

Elliott

Corvette
1979 Midnight Blue Coupe
I bought a new set of mirrored t-tops. I sent the first set back because one was flawed and the replacement set came "preadjusted" from the factory. Problem is that both of these "preadjusted" tops leak water. I will no doubt be talking with the manufacturer this week, but does anyone have any easy tricks or solutions to this problem? Anyone have similar problems with replacement tops or with new seals? Dave

Do you have an AIM(Assembly Instruction Manual)???
In it you will find a procedure for adjusting the tops,correctly.
The tops ARE going to have to be adjusted.

I would imagine that after 30+ years,that a set of new tops is going to fit without some adjustments.
What are the tops 'pre-adjusted to' to???? a brand new 1979 corvette????
or the original factory setting????

If you need the procedure I'm sure one of us can PM it to you or do a search and see if the procedure is already in one of the old threads!!!

good luck!!!

Do you have an AIM(Assembly Instruction Manual)???
In it you will find a procedure for adjusting the tops,correctly.
The tops ARE going to have to be adjusted...

Bill's got it right. You will have to adjust the tops to the car.

I won't go into to a lot of detail- but the short of it involves adding, subtracting the spacers under the tongues (? guess that is the name), adjusting how the tongues sit, adjusting the tension on the latches themselves.

You need the detail of the AIM. FWIW- Improperly adjusted glass tops can crack when they are too tight to the car.

I purchased the tops from Ecklers and they put me on a conference call with the manufacturer. They evidently do quality checks by fitting them to an actual vette top and because my first set was rejected they sent a second set already preadjusted. Problem was I couldn't get them on the car, they were too tight. They told me I needed to loosen the tabs to install and then retighten. Said that I needed to get the air out of the seals . . . sounded a little questionable. Did that Friday afternoon and got them in and have not tried removing them. I understand using the shims and adjusting the fit, even though I would have expected if they are preadjusted that there should be very little of that. They sit level and square, but leaked when I washed it yesterday. I did order an AIM on Friday and should have it this week. I just wondered if I should expect preadjusted tops to leak. I suppose it makes sense that every car is unique and may require some tweaking. Thanks for your help! Dave

They evidently do quality checks by fitting them to an actual vette top and because my first set was rejected they sent a second set already preadjusted. Problem was I couldn't get them on the car, they were too tight. They told me I needed to loosen the tabs to install and then retighten. Said that I needed to get the air out of the seals . . . sounded a little questionable. Did that Friday afternoon and got them in and have not tried removing them. I understand using the shims and adjusting the fit, even though I would have expected if they are preadjusted that there should be very little of that. They sit level and square, but leaked when I washed it yesterday. I did order an AIM on Friday and should have it this week. I just wondered if I should expect preadjusted tops to leak. I suppose it makes sense that every car is unique and may require some tweaking. Thanks for your help! Dave

Dave,
the tops were 'preadjusted' to their corvette....not yours!
now they have to be readjusted to YOUR corvette.l
I am not surprised that they leaked when you washed you vette.
Wait until you get your AIM,find the section on adjusting the t-tops and do it step by step according to the book.

Take your time when adjusting the fit cause they will crack if to tight.Just cracked a new one,now am thinking it might be time for fiberglass,Aloha

I did try adjusting the first set according to their instructions until I discovered one was flawed. I do understand the need to adjust to my vette, but then it does beg the question: What is then the benefit of having them preadjusted? Doesn't matter, I should get my AIM this week and will follow the adjustment steps.

I did try adjusting the first set according to their instructions until I discovered one was flawed. I do understand the need to adjust to my vette, but then it does beg the question: What is then the benefit of having them preadjusted? Doesn't matter, I should get my AIM this week and will follow the adjustment steps.

There is no car out there that you do not adjust when installing body parts....

Only had that happen once in all my years and that was my sons civic.. by accident we bolted on a new fender and the damn thing fit perfectly out of the box.... other than that stock up a some cold ones for afterwards and set aside the time to do it...

I know how we all want to get things correct on our Vettes right away but adjusting the tops might be a little at a time thing.
With the brand new weatherstripping, I would adjust it snug and leave it for a couple of weeks.
Then adjust it a little tighter as the weatherstrip compresses over time.

When I put my new glass tops on my 78SA years ago they were tight as could be with the bayonett latch being a real pain to get inserted. Over time, with the weatherstrip compressing, they fit great.

Then again, I still don't know if they're water tight. They never get wet!

I do need to learn to be patient. I am doing as you recommend in that I got them installed and then have not removed them to compress the weatherstripping. I have no plans for mine to get wet either unless we take it on a trip. I think we will only use them on a bright sunny day so that my head doesn't get scorched! Thanks for the input! Dave

I replaced the weatherstripping on my 82 T tops because they were leaking severly. After installing the new weatherstrip there was no way that the tops were going in place and then snapped into locked position. I had to remove some of the shims as was mentioned in one of the replies in order to get the tops to sit just right in place and then to lock them in place. The tops do/will fall into place after sitting for a few weeks so it is a gradual process that you need to take your time with and always keep in mind that you're dealing with glass, and glass is unforgiving when it is forced out of its original shape. I've worked in the glass business for quite a few years so I felt comfortable with the adjustments. I do recommend that you use the AIM manual when you get it make sure that you go through all of the recommended steps to get the tops seated properly. Good Luck

Good advice. I'm still waiting for my AIM manual; should receive it this week. For now I'm just letting the tops sit and compress. TX Dave

The AIM is pretty good, but I think you'll find the service manual is much better for adjusting the tops. I didn't see where the AIM talks about the shims and how to use them, but it does show what the tolerances are for gaps and heights.

We had my brothers fitting right (as far as spacing with the body and center) but still leaking. We used some type of double sided tape underneath sections of the weatherstrip (not visible at all and it acted as a shim) and walla! No leaks. These were on the fiberglass tops though. I need to do the glass tops on my 81 but scared to mess with glass (would hate to crack the original tops!) and it doesn't see rain anyway.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom