Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New tire selection

"I am still trying to decide.

dicevn4.jpg

Tires

This is my first time posting here on this truly helpful site. I purchased a 2004 C5 coupe about seven months ago. There were Goodyear run flats on it, really didn’t like the noise or the ride. I bought Michelin pilot sport a/s plus tires they are a whole lot quieter and the ride is great. The attached pictures show how I solved the spare tire dilemma.

tires

Sorry but i had trouble with the photo's....

This is my first time posting here on this truly helpful site. I purchased a 2004 C5 coupe about seven months ago. There were Goodyear run flats on it, really didn’t like the noise or the ride. I bought Michelin pilot sport a/s plus tires they are a whole lot quieter and the ride is great. The attached pictures show how I solved the spare tire dilemma.

Pretty creative......:w

What kind of wheel/tire is that? I'm guessing it doesn't have any issues fitting over the brakes and such.

More info please. That would be nice for a little extra insurance on trips.

I went with BF Goodrich g-Force KDW2's. I wanted a tire that
would stick and if I ever got caught in rain would shed water.
True...they're not run flats but I have an electric air pump, radial
plugs and tire sealer.
Remo:cool

I have been told that the tire sealer will destroy the air pressure sensors in the tire. Can anyone confirm if this is true? :confused

I was told by Rex Tire in Colorado springs that the sealant repair kits do ruin the TPS, but I don't know if this occurs all the time. There is a new repair kit out there that uses a plug instead of a sealer. Read about the tire mobility kit in the November 2009 issue of Corvette Enthusiast. www.shopngo.com. Includes a compressor. Don't know price.
Barrett

Type of spare tire

I bought the tire on Ebay ,it came off of a 2004/2006 Pontiac GTO. It's not simple to get it to fit in the storage well. I had to take a wedge shape portion out of each side of the frame and weld in four pie shape pieces to fill the voids. I also wanted to be able to store my top in the stock location. that meant i had to modify the bottom of the storage well so the tire would set lower and still leave some room between the exhaust pipes and the bottom of the storage well. It was a bit of work but it worked out very nice. I guess if you wanted you could just let the air out of the tire and it might fit between the frame and set low enough for the trunk lid to close. Then carry a little air compressor and air the spare up when you need it. I hope you can make sense out of what ive just written. If not i will try harder next time. This is a great site and i have learned so much about my car, Thank's....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom