Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Tires - WOW...

jeepie

Corvette
1991 Coupe Blk/Blk
I just replaced my old goodyear eagles, they came with the car and were worn, hard as a rock, a couple have been plugged a few time, and dry rotted. The car always road like crap, in fact my wife would complain everytime she was in it about the ride. WOW what a difference the new tires make, the car rides like a car now instead of a WWII army vehicle. I also just bought a digital camera and am trying to figure out how do all the neat stuff, so here is my first attempt. In case anyone would like to see what Falken ZE-502 ZEIX tires look like installed and up close check out the following pic. I just wanted to say woohoo what a difference tires can make.

http://home.adelphia.net/~paceac/tire2.jpg

Nice pic. Glad your happy with the new hoops!

yep, thats them, have a full set on mine, and time to replace the rears, If ya dont mind my asking, did they give ya a mileage rating? And how much did they set ya back? Out the door
I currently have a quote for 288.00 OTD Rears only

They look a little narrow.

I believe they are 30k tires, and I paid around $520 total for all four, mounted balanced and tax.

A mechanic friend of mine got them from a local tire shop, I am not sure which one. They are 275/40/17.

I have a new set of those too

I got a set of those last fall and they are great. AWESOME price too Mine were 650 for the set and a four wheel alignment. I got mine at Firestone where did you get yours.

I have the Falken ZIEX too !!! They're Grrrrreeeaaaat ! .....as Tony would say...... unfortunately you can only get them up to 275/40-17 and not in 285s, but I wanted the same size all around anyway with my chrome 9.5x17s......the only thing I don't like about them is that they get flat spots when I park the car for more than 24 - 36 hours.........they're gone after about two to three miles driving, but until then you can feel the flat spots.
Another tire that is super and smae price are the Bridgestone RE -703 or 723 or something like this........they have almost the same tread pattern.........

I got rid of the slippery goodyears and added new set of Firestone SZ-50's. What a difference. Smooth even after sitting all night. And talk about sticky in dry as well as wet conditions.... I have found my tires!

How is the noise on the Falkans? The set I had were noisy. It might have just been my set since they were used. Just thought I would ask since there are a couple of you using them.

I did like their traction though.

Well we didn't put them on my Vette, but...
We put a set of those same Falkens on my sons car. First thing I noticed was they appeared to be narrower and shorter than the tire we took off.
In driving the car I found that it rode very soft. I was concerned it would be floaty and mooshy around corners. Not so. They give a smooth ride, they're quiet, handle well, and don't hydroplane like his previous tires did. All in all a good deal.
He's had them for about 6months now and they are wearing well.
I may try them on my Vette when I need tires. But at the moment my SZ50s are holding up real well and I still think they are great.
Graham

I may switch back. My Dunlops were less that inspiring last night in the rain. Of course so were my new headlights. A work in progress.

Len,

You should also check out Tire Rack and see if Goodyear will match the Tire Rack price, which is usually better. I did the same thing with some Firestone SZ50's and they're high on my list.

Does anyone have any experience or heard any feedback on Yokohama's?

Len-
I hear that the run flats ride a little harder because the sidewalls are reinforced to handle the run-flat scenario.

I have not experienced it in person though.

fyi, my 92 convt. weighs in at 3775 with me in it, and 1/4-1/5 tank.

I would advise against the run-flat conversion.... The spare doesn't weigh enough to decrease your gas mileage by a significant amount, and the run-flats are more trouble than they are worth... expecially considering they wear out so quickly... The extra money you spend on the tires will cost you more than any gas savings

so what you're saying is I should hit the salad bar and lose weight?

Not at all. I was thinking my vette is a little bloated though. :s

I'm with the sz50 group...I have them for 15000+ miles .
Much more confident in the rain.

as for eliminating the spare... it IS an integral part of the rear structure and , unfortunately, the "crumple zone"

So Jeepie

you have had them for a couple of weeks now, how do ya like them? Noise, Handeling etc...:bu

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom