Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! New to Corvettes, and planning to dive in

cptmclark

After 70 years I guess it's time I had a Corvette. I've searched for specs and data but don't have confidence that I know what I want. I think I've settled on the C5, and as this will be an extra "toy" car I hope not to break the bank. It seems a guy should be able to get a brief synopsis of what's available and the benefits of each mod. I hope to learn about the choices I should know about and make, and to find a better way to shop for the exact color, style and equipment that I want without spending years on the internet and magazines.
Any ideas or suggestions will be gratefully accepted. I know that's a long question for a first post. Thank you very much.

PS: My friend came to show me his C5 and couldnt' get it up the drive way because the air dam would drag on the slight incline. Is that likely to be a deal breaker for me, or are there ways to get around that; different suspensions maybe?:

PPS: So far I think I've decided on the c5 convertible, one of the darker reds with camel top and interior, and 6 speed transmission. Seems there was a better (opinion) red in 03 only, but not sure. If there are no real differences I guess I'd go with the earlier ones to save bucks.

Thanks again.

Welcome to the CAC! I don't think you will be dissapointed in a C5. I really enjoy mine and drive it as much as I can. It may be that your friends car has been lowered which is not hard to do with the C5 and that is why he was rubbing getting in and out of your drive. Mine is stock height and I rub the air dam on occasion but usually you can take an angle on the way in or out to avoid rubbing. I certainly hope that wouldn't keep you from owning one.

As far as researching all that is available the internet and forums such as CAC will give you a huge advantage in helping you decide on the selection process. As is normal the further into a generations production cycle the more changes that have been made and improved on. The best of luck on your search and all you have to do is ask if you have a question and you will get a lot of answers. My car is the Magnetic Red or Mag Red as it is usually called. Very nice color...always gets a comment out on the street.

Hi,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center and also to the world of Corvettes! You are making a very wise choice focusing on the C5 generation. They are fantastic cars and reasonably priced. I sell Corvettes so will give you my opinions. I also had a 2002 6-speed convertible and it was really great, giving us absolutely no problems in the 9 years we owned it.

As far as colors, the 2003 that you mentioned is the 50th Anniversary Edition model which came in "Anniversary Red". Every time GM puts out an anniversary car, you can be sure that it is loaded with every option that was available that year. The anniversary Vettes will cost more than others of the same year but will retain their value more than other Corvettes of that year, thereby being somewhat of an investment, so to speak.

As far as the air dam hitting the driveway, that is very common. That's what that dam is supposed to do and sounds worse than it is! One way to avoid that is to approach the driveway at an angle, allowing one wheel at a time to get onto the driveway. In any event, it should not be a deal breaker.

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center | Model Center | 1997 - 2004 Corvette Center

Let us know how you make out in your search...and ask anything you want! CAC is full of info, and I can also help at any time. I sell to people all over the country. In fact, I just shipped one to North Dakota and another to Seattle this week.

Elaine
Corvette Mike New England

Welcome to CAC. I think that you'll find plenty of information here. As far as the "deeper reds", Huskerman and myself will probably tell you that Magnetic Red (http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/garages/128644-toms01-2001-chevrolet-corvette-coupe.html) is quite stunning. The anniversary red from 2003 is a bit more burgundy red (more purplish, very nice color BTW). As far as the air dam scraping, the center section is spring loaded and yields some when encountering the types of inclines you spoke of. I have quite an incline into my drive and even going in at an angle, my air dam scrapes, but no real damage is done.

One of our administrators here (Yoda http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...2003-chevrolet-corvette-anniversary-vert.html) has a 2003 Anniversary vert. The things I really like about it is, the "shale" interior and dash. I'm not a huge black interior fan (just too hot for me, killer looks though). If you go to the 03 Anniversary version the shale interior is the only choice. Other years ofthe C5, offers black, light oak, and light gray with the deep reds. Another admin here (XLR8 http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com...girl-1998-chevrolet-corvette-convertible.html) has a 98 vert, she calls Cinnamon girl. I think the name of the color is Light Carmine red, it is quite stunning as well.

Keep us posted on the search and any questions that you might have,

First - :welcome

The C5 is an excellent model to start off as your first Corvette, though I myself started with a C4, a 1994 convertible. My biggest reason for moving up to the C5 after 3 years was maintenance cost (a ten year old Vette as a daily driver was beginning to hit the bank account hard) and back problems being aggravated by the C4 design (the seats are lower than the side frame and... well find a C4 and get in and out of it one time and you'll see what I mean).

Here are a few links to get you started on your research - and research is not the pain you may think it to be if you use this Site as your first resource.

1997 - 2004 Corvettes

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-general-discussion/100848-new-world-c5-corvette.html

The second link is a thread for new C5 owners with links to several pages of models, codes, options, etc.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to buy the latest model with lowest mileage within your budget. The darker reds are my favorite Corvette color too, and the '03 Anniversary Red or '04 Mag Red are beautiful! Then again, if you're interested in stepping up to a C6, the early C6 models in Monterey Red are gorgeous!!

While you're researching, post questions which arise and the members here are knowledgeable and happy to share their knowledge and experiences with newbies. :thumb

Good luck with the hunt!
:wJane Ann

Senior Citizen Advice

Being that we are both in that "age category," the first question is how mechanically inclined are you. We are talking older car, toy car, fun car, and in the same breath, don't break the bank. The C5 that I purchased over a year ago following a long search was a garage queen with 7200 miles on her. It's a 6 spd convertible machine silver on black. I have had some nuisance problems that I researched and fixed myself; a local mechanic or dealership would have charged me a bundle. If you plan on buying an older C5 because of price or any one with mileage over 60K, expect to pay for some repairs soon ( even if the seller has kept up with maintenance issues). Remember what we were told many times that you get what you pay for. Please keep that in mind. Remember that it is a Chevrolet and by Consumer Reports, if you believe those "know-it-alls," the '04 has the best rating. Go to your local magazine shop and pick up the current Consumer Reports Used Car Guide. I'm not suggesting that you take it for gospel and don't buy it, but for grins, check out the Corvette as a used car for overall reliability. The hunt is a lot of fun. Playing with your purchase is next. One last thought, don't buy a C5 Vette that is touted as "Rare." There is no such thing. Rare is a perfect '62. Don't pay a premium for the so called anniversary models. The big difference is paint and color. C5's are not yet in the "investment category" unless you plan on holding onto it for 30 years. I just don't think that if we live that long that we'll need the Vette at the nursing home:rotfl;LOL
Mike
CAPT USN Ret

Thank you to all. What a surprise to get such interested responses. I'm starting the search and very happy to have found this forum.

Two things though, came to mind; who are you calling senior!?.:eyerole...and; should I just take an aspirin and lie down?:)

On a more serious note, I'm reasonably mechanical but not expert. On the other hand this is not going to be to enjoy tinkering with. Roger roger on the Consumer Reports reviews. I would hope to buy a good one and get to enjoy driving it without many issues for a long time. (I just sold my 89 Bonneville SE, bought new, 246k and never a hangar queen. Can't conquer the rust though.) Also, a lot of people must think Corvettes are really good because look at the price of a ten year old one. I've been surprised by the advertised prices and ..assumed..there must be a reason folks think they have that much value.

Probably more questions after some shopping. Gotta resolve that driveway problem though. It doesn't look that steep, but I'm not going to park it on the street. At lunch today my Corvette owning friend (another Navy Dr by coincidence to "Drnavyretired") Said about that; "No problem"...There are plenty of houses you can buy with level driveways." Obviously has his priorities in line.

If newer ones are more reliable regardless of use or milage, then that's what I need to get.

Keep in mind that when GM (or any car manufacturer) introduces a new generation, it takes a few years to work all the bugs out. The cars produced towards the end of the run should be the most reliable. If I were to buy a C5 I'd be looking for an '03 or '04 if those are within your budget.

Good luck with your search - that's half the fun.

-JS

Two things though, came to mind; who are you calling senior!?.:eyerole...and; should I just take an aspirin and lie down?:)

Corvette owning friend (another Navy Dr by coincidence to "Drnavyretired") Said about that; "No problem"...There are plenty of houses you can buy with level driveways." Obviously has his priorities in line.

There are only two kinds of seniors. In my other life, my senior chiefs and in my present life, if the kid in the movie theatre box office offers you the "senior ticket price," you are eligible to be called a senior.:D I'm still riding my HD Street Glide and I have the Vette and I qualify for the latter. On another note, your driveway. Do you have a drop from the road asphalt to a concrete rain gutter and then your concrete ribbon to your asphalt/concrete driveway? If so, any low car will scrape. you can put a 2X6 in the "rain gutter" and the problem is solved. If your driveway is still sloped, then with the 2X6 in place, you drive up on an angle. When I visit my mother in law in a nursing home, there are several speed bumps/minihills and I have no problem as long as I drive up at a slight angle. Good luck with the hunt with fair winds and following seas.

I am totally pleased with the low mileage 2004, automatic, I bought two years ago (used to own a 94). 68 years old and lovin it. It has been ny experience listening to friends in my age group who do a good bit of city driving, is they wish they had an automatic.

On the issue of steep driveway, in most cases as others have stated taking the driveway at an angle works, on the way in, backing out is an entirely different story. I realize that most likely that has to be a driver issue, but it is an issue just the same (with me).

Lastly feed your dream.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom