Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

New Z06 catches fire - sent to me from a friend...

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=135291

"So I'm chillin on my way home from work today when all of a sudden a red vette passes me on the right shoulder and its ON FIRE! I'm like " Holy Sh*t, I gotta see this" so i follow him about a block and he pulls into a goodyear tire store near my house. As I pull up I realize its the new Z06. WOW. I pull up and the owner is out of the car and watching it being consumed in flames right in front of him. The guys at goodyear come running out with a fire extinguisher and put out the fire, or so they thought. I asked the owner if he was ok and he said yes. He said he heard something from underneath the car on the highway but didnt realize it was on fire until he exited, which is when he passed me. I asked if he was beating it or what? He said no, but the dealer recently installed a new exhaust on the car. I was like "ooohhhhh"! Just then, the goodyear guys started yelling at us to move away because it was on fire again. This time it spread quickly and I really thought the gas tank was gonna explode. Then, the local fire dept. arrived and started dousing the car with the fire hoses. I mean DOUSING! The fire chief walkes over to us and tells the owner that the car is gone and not salvagable, but they would try to be as careful with as they could. As soon as he said that, the firemen went to work on the car with pic-ax and heavy ax. They smashed the trunk window and started to pull off the body work with the ax's. I personally am not a fan of the vettes, but it was heartbreaking to see this beautiful Z06 being torn apart after it has just burned to the ground. I asked the owner if he minded if I took a few pics and he said not at all. I knew you guys would like this so I snapped away........"

:cry :cry

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=135291The fire chief walkes over to us and tells the owner that the car is gone and not salvagable, but they would try to be as careful with as they could. As soon as he said that, the firemen went to work on the car with pic-ax and heavy ax. They smashed the trunk window and started to pull off the body work with the ax's.
Why did they start tearing off the body? To make sure they get everything with water???

At least there's some possible good news to this story... "the dealer recently installed a new exhaust on the car." If so, the guy might be having a new Z supplied from the dealer!

And a thumbs-up to the members over at M3Forum. From the first 4 pages I read, they all seemed really sympathetic. There wasn't the mockery that I expected to find. Seems to be a pretty stand-up group of guys. A german version of the CAC group. :D

Seemed like several of the Boys per this thread on the M3Forum were happy about the Z06 catching fire.
They've probably been roasted by several Corvettes.

Later - D
That's the thread I was referring to (same as in your first post). I didn't really see any serious flaming (no pun intended). Most were of "man, that sucks" and "sorry for the guy". No matter...
:upthumbs

HOLY burn outs Batman!! That's hard enough to look at and its not even my car. I dont even want to thi....nope cant do it. Evil thoughts go away. Think happy thoughts...happy thoughts....

Oh Lord !! Id be cryin like a whooped pup!!! I hope the dealer makes it right with him.

Wow, that is a crying shame. :cry

It appears that the rear of the car caught fire. I can't imagine, maybe the exhaust, what could have started the fire. :W I hope the occupants got out without serious injury.

I think I'll go out and check on my Z06 just to be sure...

Damn,that hurts just to look. Any cause yet?
Reading through the M3 forum link, it appears that the dealer may have pinched a fuel line when putting up the new exhaust. But I obviously cannot confirm that.

Maybe they were putting on more than just mufflers and left something leak fuel up front allowing the flames to just followed the air flow. Been under a few and see little chance of pinching a fuel line putting on an axel back system.

Bad day for him and/or his mechanic any way you look at it.

Geez, that sure sux. Poor guy probably waited a long time for that Z06 too. I feel for him. :cry

One thing that bothers me. I've been in the fire service for 14 years and have seen my fair share of car fires (never a vette, yet).

The one thing that bothers me most, the use of axes on the body. We've NEVER axed a body to put a car fire out. Most fires are in the engine compartment, so we pop the hood, cut the battery cables and put the wet stuff on the red stuff. Had it been under the car, you squirt under the car and in it. I fail to see why they axed the body.

CONSUMED BY FIRE

I lost my 87 TT Callaway almost the same way......What a shame
59-62USNVET

87 TT Lost in Fire

How was it handled, dealership or insurance?

I Posted the story a while back in the
Callaway section, I believe. But anyway, the car was not that old and the consuming fire was caused by a ruptured clutch fluid hose. My own insurance company ended up totaling it and paying me 10G more than what the car cost.
59-62USNVET

I Posted the story a while back in the
Callaway section, I believe. But anyway, the car was not that old and the consuming fire was caused by a ruptured clutch fluid hose. My own insurance company ended up totaling it and paying me 10G more than what the car cost.
59-62USNVET
I think I remember reading your post. Sounds like you made out well. Is that the actual color in your avatar of your Z??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom