Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

newbie enjoying the site and has ZR-1 questions

zr-1 vert

I'm thinking about buying a c4 that's been "sitting up" in a storage unit for over five years. He hasn't found the title or ANY documentation, (it's probably in one of the stacked boxes), so I may never get it. I don't want to be too hasty until I at least get the Vin. I took a glance and wasn't interested, (need$ work), but if he gets motivated....
The owner, (who thinks it will drive), wants an as is price.

I'm interested in how to safely proceed. I'd hate to damage it by jump starting, bad gas, electronics, rotten tires, etc.

I may never be a vettester but who knows....

I'm thinking about buying a c4 that's been "sitting up" in a storage unit for over five years. He hasn't found the title or ANY documentation, (it's probably in one of the stacked boxes), so I may never get it. I don't want to be too hasty until I at least get the Vin. I took a glance and wasn't interested, (need$ work), but if he gets motivated....
The owner, (who thinks it will drive), wants an as is price.

I'm interested in how to safely proceed. I'd hate to damage it by jump starting, bad gas, electronics, rotten tires, etc.

I may never be a vettester but who knows....

The 'safe' way to begin is to first establish "who" the owner legally is. Then, if that person gives you a price 'you' want to pay, then your a Vette owner. I would get the correct battery put in it before I paid any price which reflected a 'running' car. Just to turn ignition and 'see' dash come alive. I would NOT try to start it until all the required stuff is done......and that's allot of work on a car sitting up for last five years the fuel lines/tank/pump/injectors/throttle body/ etc could be gummed up from old fuel). Sooo.....my .02 cents :D

Welcome to the :CAC from another Mississippian!

Your inquiry deserves more responses of a technical nature than it's likely to receive in this forum so..... I'm going to move it to the C4 ZR-1 forum.

Good luck !
And keep us in the loop whatever you decide. :thumb
:wJane Ann

Thanks to you both for you advice and help. I had complimented the owner on his large mercedes, and he told me he had a corvette. It's with his furniture and boxes from a house he once owned.
I keep looking for restoration projects that include starting a Lt5 that's been in storage.
It's been awhile since I used my compression tester, or fuel pressure tester, but I did some voltage testing lately.:confused
The weather is slightly warm for all this in a storage building.
Thank you, thank you very much. (MS accent)

You MUST start with the title questions first. A lot of people have put large sums of money into Vettes and other collector cars only to lose them to the original owners in court. That said, on an LT5 the fuel system is going to be the most important and most expensive system to clean and flush befor ever trying to start the car. Doing your work, the parts could easily cost over 1K dollars and if you want a shop to get it running it will be much higher as most shops won't touch an LT5. Brake system will be another system that will require total cleaning and flushing. Cooling system will be another question. Keep in mind that LT5 parts are getting harder to find and that = expensive. While I have said all this, NOTHING (except maybe a new one) gives you the rush of the old Zs and I love mine (90 & 92) however except for the Texas Mile, their racing days are over due to high replacement parts expenses.

If you decide to go for the car, keep in touch!

Thanks TEX, REX, and Jane Ann.

I haven't been able to post here, but here goes.

The owner has sentimental attachment, and doesn't know I'm considering his asking price. I have had to obtain a lost title before, so it's not quick, but it's easy. I just have to get the vin and car fax and open the hood, to see if there's been a Zr-1 bumper added. I didn't know what a LT5 engine was when I looked at the car. I'm certain that 66,000 miles wouldn't destroy the seats, so there's probably more to digital dash story. After seeing another new member's post I realize that the bumper CAN be made to fit an 89 convertible. I expect it would only be a daily driver, as opposed to a rare find, but I might try cranking it. It was celebrity owned at one point, which means there might be a reason to restore the engine and interior. Its good features are only the new paint and canvas top, since it probably has the 235hp engine.
Thanks for reading.

No ZR-1 Convertibles were sold by GM.

GM built some prototypes but rejected the idea of going to production after testing had unfavorable results.

It's likely a few "ZR-1 Convertibles" have been made by either "converting" a ZR-1 or putting an LT5 in a Convertible but either way, the value of the car will be questionable...without a title, even more questionable.

Yeah, the value of a car I can't drive is very questionable. I'm waiting for cooler weather to have him unlock the storage building again. Then I'll post back on whether I have a new hobby. I've been told he'll back out of selling it for sentimental reasons anyway. I just wish I'd looked at the motor, but I'm thinking it was wrecked before a new top, zr-1 bumper, and paint were bought. They sure didn't repair the exhaust or ragged upholstery. In other words I'm low on cash.;)

Thaks Hib

I did not want to be the one to throw the wet blanket on his deal.

One of the Lotus guys that fabed up the ZR1 protos in the UK worked for the racing team a while back. He told me that they built 2 flop-top ZR1s. Both were crushed along with the other UK built Protos.

A "real" ZR1 convertible prototype would be worth some serious $$$

No ZR-1 Convertibles were sold by GM.

GM built some prototypes but rejected the idea of going to production after testing had unfavorable results.

It's likely a few "ZR-1 Convertibles" have been made by either "converting" a ZR-1 or putting an LT5 in a Convertible but either way, the value of the car will be questionable...without a title, even more questionable.

the easy way to check if it's a real zr-1 is the vin...1g1yy or 1g1yz. first is base motor second is zr-1

Thanks Thaks and Doug!

I'll get back with pictures "one of these days".

The day I got him to let me look it was HOT and I felt like I was wasting his time. He's wasn't sure what year it is. I had looked at specs on early C4 convertibles, so I thought there was no need to check the engine, (I thought it was all stock), but more for the few chevy options available.

I was disappointed at the auto transmission and the interior looking like it had 100,000 more miles than the 66,000 I was expecting. I did look under the back bumper and saw a hole in the exhaust, (I was looking for rust, since it had a new top). As I was pulling down the over crowded storage room door, the ZR-1 bumper and it's third brake light up high did catch my attention.

I don't think the owner knows what a ZR-1 is, (I didn't), but he bought it because he once could and it was a red convertible chick chaser. Now he can barely fit into his old 450 Mercedes, if he feels strong enough to walk to it, and cash his disability and pension checks. He's got some stories though.

The day I saw it I was confused from speed reading so many corvette histories on the net. (not much love for 89 convertibles). He later said his friend, who sold it to him, had it customized. Perhaps a ZR-1 motor was added. (I wasn't looking for a valet keyhole). Maybe his friend, the original owner saved one from the crusher while he was working overseas.:rotfl OR NOT.

I've read somewhere that the factory can provide some history of it's original purchase, when given the vin and some cash. (which I'm still low on ;))

Today I was told that he was going to restore it himself. I wished him luck.

I figure the storage company has a better chance of owning it than I do.

Good grief.

Great advice from everyone.

Thanks so much. :w

Today I was told that he was going to restore it himself. I wished him luck.

I figure the storage company has a better chance of owning it than I do.

Good grief.

Great advice from everyone.

Thanks so much. :w

:L Great attitude - yours, his doesn't seem to be reality based at all.

Keep looking around, there's one out there waiting for you somewhere!
:wJane Ann

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom