Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie help.....

78Chevy

Hey guys,

This is my first post. I have been a member of this forum for a little while now and I finally purchased a 1969 corvette coupe. The car doesn't have power steering and brakes. I would like to add them. Should I purchase a new aftermarket kit or used OEM? Sorry, I don't have any pictures of the car yet. The car is in another state and I am in the process of having it shipped to me.

Thanks,

Jim

I would at least wait until I had the car.. drive it for a few months and see if you still want those upgrades.

You are probably right. I am just very excited about getting the car. Thanks...

You are probably right. I am just very excited about getting the car. Thanks...

Excitement is great! Don't lose it. Is this your first Vette?

I would at least wait until I had the car.. drive it for a few months and see if you still want those upgrades.

I agree. Wait and give it a few months driving time before deciding. My '65 has manual brakes and manual steering and it's just fine. The time the steering is more difficult is at a stop and turning such as parking but it's not all that bad even than. The brakes are not even an issue at all being non-powered and I can easily give them enough effort to lock them up

... The time the steering is more difficult is at a stop and turning such as parking but it's not all that bad even than...

Hi Barry. Really? Even with a complete rebuild, turning at a stop with my manual steering is a beast! It makes me wonder if my system is not functioning correctly.

Jim, I agree with the others... ride your new Vette for a while and enjoy it!
Save the wave.
:w

BTW .. Welcome to the :CAC

The excitement and anticipation can be great.. I know how it was when I got my car only a year ago. I also got mine out of state and I had lots of plans for it too, before I actually had it. Now that I've lived with it a while.. I'm glad I waited as that list has changed. Enjoy it for a while.. I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what it needs or what you want soon enough.

Try and join a local club.. maybe some one will have a early C3 with PS that will let you "taste" the difference and help decide.

Thanks for all the replies. This is not my first vette. I had an 89' for about 10 years and sold it about two years ago. I have always been most passionate about the 69 vettes and couldn't pass up this opportunity to own one. I can tell you that it is black on black, 4-speed, coupe with a 350/350 hp motor. I'll post some pictures once I get it out to California. Thanks for all your input.

Jim

My Vette also is a non PS PB car.When i had the old 225/70 tires on it it was a bear to steer at slow speeds.when i put the new 245/60 tires on it is now enjoyable to drive.(i know that is the opposite of what should happen)The non power brakes are a non issue.I actually like the way the car brakes without the booster.Wait until you get your car to see how you like it.

Hi Barry. Really? Even with a complete rebuild, turning at a stop with my manual steering is a beast! It makes me wonder if my system is not functioning correctly.

Are your tie rod ends in the "quick steering" position on the steering knuckle arms (holes closest to the spindle, also used with power steering)? If so, that will significantly increase low-speed steering effort.

:beer

Okay guys....I'll hold off on the steering and brakes and just enjoy the car for a while before I do anything. I was, however, thinking about adding side pipes....any suggestions?

Thanks for all the input...

Jim

heres my 2 cents the brakes and steering worked fine in 1969. is this a numbers matching car..keep it the way it was made

I wanted to thank everyone who replied. I 69 vette arrived yesterday and it is great. After driving it for these past two days, I decided not to install power steering and brakes. It is great just the way it is. I will post some pictures shortly....

Congrats and glad you like the car! Do you like it as much as the C4 you had?

(For future reference, if you are giong to do a power steering upgrade, might as well go the steeroids route. That's all I have to add.) :D

I loved my C4 89 vette. It had the ZF 6-Speed in it which really helped make the car. I do miss it and would take another C4 - I like the early 90's Black Rose vettes. The 69, however, is my dream car which has now become reality.

The 69, however, is my dream car which has now become reality.
Same here, save for maybe a new C6 Z06 or the forthcoming Blue Devil. (Although I've also grown very fond of my car too.)
My '69 would/will be Mille Miglia red, white soft-top, black interior, L71 Tri-power. YUMMY!!!

Jim, I agree with the others... ride your new Vette for a while and enjoy it!
Save the wave.
fine 69 hey the cars in pic look great sitting there they are both my dream cars just had to say ....how long have you had them

fine 69 hey the cars in pic look great sitting there they are both my dream cars just had to say ....how long have you had them

Thanks chevy6675,

I got the 69 a few years ago, and I just got the Rally Sport last spring... The RS purchase was totally impulsive - as it is essentially a duplicate of my high school car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom