Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie Questions

VetteLee

Corvette
1987 Callaway Twin Turbo
Hi All,

I just acquired a 1987 Twin Turbo which is my first Corvette. My Dad had it for a few years, then he sold it to a friend who has in turn sold it to me. It won't be a daily driver.

I've done some reading and poking around and now have a few questions:

1. It has 16x10 BBS wheels with 255-50 16 tires. I don't see many choices for tires this size. I was thinking of going with the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport . Any other suggestions? I could go to a 17 inch wheel/tire combo, but I'm not sure it would be worth the expense.

2. I'm assuming the shocks are original, and based on some limited driving that they may need to be replaced. Is it advisable to go with the original shocks? If so, where is a good place to get them?

3. I live in Southern Orange County, California. Can you recommend a shop that is familiar with servicing Twin Turbos? Is there anything in particular that I should have checked out?

Thanks,

Lee

Hi All,

I just acquired a 1987 Twin Turbo which is my first Corvette. My Dad had it for a few years, then he sold it to a friend who has in turn sold it to me. It won't be a daily driver.

1. It has 16x10 BBS wheels with 255-50 16 tires. I don't see many choices for tires this size. I was thinking of going with the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport . Any other suggestions? I could go to a 17 inch wheel/tire combo, but I'm not sure it would be worth the expense.

2. I'm assuming the shocks are original, and based on some limited driving that they may need to be replaced. Is it advisable to go with the original shocks? If so, where is a good place to get them?

3. I live in Southern Orange County, California. Can you recommend a shop that is familiar with servicing Twin Turbos? Is there anything in particular that I should have checked out?

Thanks,

Lee

Welcome to the Callaway forum and congratulations on your new purchase!

I can't help wiht 1 & 2, but Callaway Cars West should be your first stop. I believe they were in Newport Beach, but I think 89x2 mentioned they recently moved to a new facility. I'm sure he will chime in with the location (or the phone is listed on Callawaycars.com - see the Contact Us page), but they should still be fairly close to you. What better place to service your Callaway than Callaway? :upthumbs

congrats on your Callaway :thumb

and welcome to the CAC en COG :D enjoy hanging around in the best place there is fo Callaway Corvette owners and enthusiasts.

BFG's are a good choice. If you decide to go with 17 in rims you will the correct ofset. The later vette rims will not just bolt on without 3/4in spacers. The BBS wheels were probably added at the dealer in NJ when new. Welcome to the Callaway Forum. There is a ton of information to learn here.

Hi All,

Thanks,

Lee

Lee, please call Callaway West for servicing of your B2K TT - Ask for Peter:

Callaway Cars West
Orange County CA
(949) 295-4350 sales and scheduling, West Coast only

He will be able to best direct you, or to schedule a review of your car.

Welcome! :beer

Lee, please call Callaway West for servicing of your B2K TT - Ask for Peter:

Callaway Cars West
Orange County CA
(949) 295-4350 sales and scheduling, West Coast only

He will be able to best direct you, or to schedule a review of your car.

Welcome! :beer

Thanks - I spoke with Peter while I was in the process of acquiring the car, but we did not talk about the services that Callaway out here could provide - I'll give him a follow up call.

Lee

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and info.

As I recall (from reviewing records that came with the car), the BBS wheels were installed in Florida after delivery. The car was ordered through a Tampa Bay dealer and came out to the West Coast shortly thereafter I believe.

Lee

Hi All,

I just acquired a 1987 Twin Turbo which is my first Corvette..........

Thanks,

Lee

Lee, congrats on your many firsts... first Corvette, first Callaway, first Twin Turbo, first post, etc. :thumb

The COG and the Callaway Forum are excellent resources for new owners.

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center and Callaway Owners Group!

One more first left.... post photos when you can. :cool

:wJane Ann

Welcome to Callaway ownership and the forum - you're gonna love it. Now let's see some pics!!

For the tires, I'd go with the ones you listed. There are only a few choices left in the 255/50/16 size (Falken is the other that comes to mind, but I know a few people who have them and say they feel a little "squishy").

For the shocks, it will be hard and expensive to find original GM/Delco-Bilsteins, and they'll be old, too, since they were discontinued some time ago. You can get Bilstein HD (firm) or Sport (firmer) that will work just as well.

Other than standard Corvette stuff, the main things to check out on the CTTC's are: oil/water leaks in any of the plumbing to the turbos, air leaks in the intake tract, oily residue in the intake tract, shaft play on the turbos, operation of the auxillary fueler, and presence of all the Callaway-added heat shielding (important for not catching your floorboards on fire!).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom