Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie w/question

69 L71

Hi all. I just bought a '69 L-71 and would like to decode the VIN. I have heard that Chevrolet has a site that does this for free. I can't seem to find it though. Any help would be great. Thanks!

VIN numbers only tell the division make (1) = Chevy (Z) = Corvette (3rd & 4th #) = body type (R) = engine code-350/170hp (9) = model year (7th #) = plant code and (8 through 13/17 #'s) = sequence numbers.
I think you are looking for the GM production number (build sheet) located in the glove box. This has a list of letters/numbers in code, that tell what was installed in the car. Look for a sticker somewhere that says, "DO NOT REMOVE". This might be what you want to know about your car. For example: "L82"... Engine - V*/350 CDI/Spec. High Perf. "M20"... Trans. - 4 Speed Manual/Saginaw. "UM6"... AM/FM Stereo Sig. Skg. Cassette Player....etc.
Other's will be along to point you to a website you are looking for. Good luck with the L-71.

69 L71 said:
Hi all. I just bought a '69 L-71 and would like to decode the VIN. I have heard that Chevrolet has a site that does this for free. I can't seem to find it though. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

Click on the Model Center tab above, and select your model year. You'll find VIN and RPO code information there.

69L71,

The hard part is going to be finding a glovebox in a 69.

The build sheet should be on the top of the gas tank, though even if it is it may not be readable. I've heard some have found copies under the carpet, behind the gauge cluster or dash.

Rick

Thanks for the replies. And yes, there is no glovebox in a '69, it's more like a glove pouch. lol

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom