Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie with a story....

indycallaway

Corvette
87 TT Black/Tan (#23)
Newbie here, hello all.... I have a great story about my new to me car. My father bought a 1987 Callaway TT new (#23). He then lovingly owned it until 1997, and then sold it to his best friend. I am 28 years old now so I grew up with that car. I was in my first year at Purdue when he sold it and he never let me drive it..... ever. He even took the keys with him when he went out of town
smash.gif
But now I understand why
smile5.gif
.....Well long story short my Father passed away 3 years ago, and I never got to drive that car. I got a phone call from his best friend 2 weeks ago that he wanted me to buy the car back from him, he thought I should have it. Well after we agreed on a price I got the car back. It needs a few things to make it right again. The clearcoat is chipping off in chunks
smash.gif
And the 4+3 needs a little work. Car has roughly 54000 miles. Black/tan coupe. The best part about it is all the great memories I had in that car in the passanger seat, I must say, the view is much better from the drivers seat, and the memories live on! Pictures to be posted later! Also, what are some good mods to make.... I have read on here about the big wonderbar...what is that? Also anything I should do this winter to make sure it is ready to go (been stored for 2 years) Changed all the fluids, drained the turbos, and new brakes...what else? Thanks in advance!

RJ

Welcome to the Callaway Forum at the :CAC

What a great story - I bet is was bittersweet, driving the car for the first time.

A Big WonderBar is a bigger air inlet from the airbox, feeding to the turbos - It makes a HUGE difference for gaining power :cool

I am sure the other folks here will have more tips, as most seem to drive their cars more than I do - Again, welcome :cool :beer

Welcome and I liked the story.I'll go out and read it to my car,it likes nice stories.Good luck and stop by often.

Welcome!

Welcome to the :CAC

Great story, kind of bittersweet, as said, but very nice of your Dad's friend to offer to help you reunite with an old friend. :)

Best of luck with the car and I hope you enjoy many (s)miles.

Rick
:gap

Welcome RJ, if I were you before i worried about modding the car Id work on the paint and overdrive.

As far as mods go, go for 2 3/4"-3 true dual exhaust with no cats or metallic high flows if you have to have them. The wonderbar is great. Then get a dyno tune when its all said and done :beer

Great great story Indycallaway! I'll bet you never sell that one. Welcome to the Callaway forum, you have found the right place. These fellows are very knowledgable and friendly. Ask away.

RJ,

Welcome to the best source of factual Callaway info outside of Callaway Cars themselves and to the place where Callaway owners and enthusiasts socialiaze the most. Great Story! How about some pictures?

Again Welcome,

-Luigi
:cool

Great story. Your dad reminds me a lot of my mom. There's a Camaro SS in the garage that I've only driven once... for 4 blocks :)

Great story! It sounds as though your dad was there whispering in his Best Friend's ear "It's time..." Enjoy this special piece of personal history and thanks for sharing it with us. We'll look forward to your photos.

Welcome to the :CAC

:w Jane Ann

I went to moms tonight to look through old photo albums... I found 10-12 photos of the car the day he brought it home.... it still has the factory sticker in the windshield...... How do you post old photo's? I have a scanner at work but I have never used it.... I am at age 9 in the pics and totally geeking over the car..... Its great....As said above....it has been bittersweet.... the ride home in the car was rough... I had to pull over twice B/C the tears got in the way..... What an amazing opourtunity to have it back...... It is as if he came down and said "its time for you to drive it" Thank you all for the kind words... I have found a forum home! Thanks to whomever started this forum for all us Callaway owners!!!

RJ, posting photos can be done one of two ways...

You can upload the image(s) as an attachment to your post -
- save your file as smaller than 83kb, ea.
- after typing your text, look in the box "Additional Options"
- click "Manage attachments"
- Another box will pop up when you click that.
- Click the browse button, searching for, and then clicking the file loc. from your hard drive, etc.
- once you have added a few, click upload.
- Once done, click "Submit reply" as usual, you are done.

The other way is in between
B]YOUR IMAGE[B]
"tags"Use a free picture hosting site like photobucket.com and upload your images thre, then copying the properties in between the IMG tags.

I hope this helps :cool
- Chris. :beer

welcome in the Corvette action center. :upthumbs

Great story of how you got the car "back"

THIS CAR IS A KEEPER trust me on that.

When I lost my father at the age of 22 (10 years ago) he left me a complete music studio and his collection of records etc.
I sold the music studio and that still hurts.

anyhow, enjoy the boostifull miles :lou

and we LOVE pictures,

when you still cannot upload the pics after the description of Chris you may mail them to me and I will host them for you.

jeroenvgfn at hotmail dot com

RJ

If you'd like, post a "hello" in the New Member Introductions Forum so that more of the CAC membership can have a chance to say hello and roll out the Welcome mat.

Glad you joined us!
:w Jane Ann

RJ Welcome to CAC you will enjoy the Callaway forum it has a wealth of great information and the people are even better. Good luck with getting the car back to perfect shape .Callaways are boostiful!!!

Welcome to CAC. Great story. Hopefully my kids will enjoy the Callaways I leave behind for them some day.

What a great story, RJ. Welcome to the Callaway Forum!

I'm not sure what your plans are for the car, but I can tell you from personal experience that, while that first drive brings a flood of emotions, there is nothing like the feeling you get on the first drive in it AFTER you put it back the way you remember from your youth. Enjoy! :beer

Welcome to CAC. Great story. Hopefully my kids will enjoy the Callaways I leave behind for them some day.

My oldest daughter has the Ruby SuperNatural already picked out for her :cool

Her sister seems content, just going fast - no favorites have been determined as of yet...

We took one of the cars out last night - she said Vroommm - Vroommm - Daddy, go faster, o.k. :upthumbs

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom