Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie with an oil weight question!!??

T

tattln

Hey everyone...Jenna here. I just got my 1975 coupe for christmas and want to change the oil. It has a built 355 with 17,000 miles. The previous owner used 10w40 dino juice and I want to switch to synthetic blend or pure synthetic. It's winter here in Ohio and I am unsure of the weight to use? HELP??!!!;help

tattln said:
Hey everyone...Jenna here. I just got my 1975 coupe for christmas and want to change the oil. It has a built 355 with 17,000 miles. The previous owner used 10w40 dino juice and I want to switch to synthetic blend or pure synthetic. It's winter here in Ohio and I am unsure of the weight to use? HELP??!!!;help
Hmm I would probably put 5w-30 or 10w-30 in.. I wonder why they ran the 10w-40.. Synthetic also usually from what i hear doesn't jell up I guess or get as thick when cold as regular oil.. i would probably go with the 10w-30..
-Rick

if you wanna use synthetic then use mobil1 synthetic and 10w30 sounds right, im also wondering why they used 10w40 hmmmmmm

q:beer

Thanks for the quick replies...much appreciated...I really want to get this done soon. So the general consensus here is to use full synthetic and not synthetic blend? I was going to try a blend to see how it does and then switch over to full synthetic after that. Does it really matter? As for the previoues owner...I think he uses 10w40 in EVERYTHING he owns lol. Thanks again...Jenna

Plain ordinary 10W30 dino oil will work fine, as long as it's a brand name and meets current API specs (which all the brand name oils do - it's on the back of the container). There's no economic justification for using synthetics in our old Corvettes, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead - your engine could care less as long as the oil is fresh and clean. :beer

For cold weather driving I would use the 5W-30. Just another opinion........

JohnZ said:
Plain ordinary 10W30 dino oil will work fine, as long as it's a brand name and meets current API specs (which all the brand name oils do - it's on the back of the container). There's no economic justification for using synthetics in our old Corvettes, but if it makes you feel better, go ahead - your engine could care less as long as the oil is fresh and clean. :beer

This is pretty much true.. to give the synthetic a positive... I understand it has some type of teflon in it or somthing which helps bond to the friction surfaces.. but really it doesn't make much difference I like synthetic myself.. I would only use it on either something that called for it or a car I am being anal about and want it to be the best.. otherwise as long as you change the oil often the dino oil will work just fine..

-Rick

Use what worked or the previous owner and save your cash. Change it at least every 5k miles, along with the filter. Use Valvoline or Quaker State, IMHO.

Synthetic has NO teflon, whioch would only collect in the filter. It gives better protection if you severely overheat the engine, perhaps.

Welcome, too. I hope you truly enjoy the car and us.

Mike
:w

WhalePirot said:
Use what worked or the previous owner and save your cash. Change it at least every 5k miles, along with the filter. Use Valvoline or Quaker State, IMHO.

Synthetic has NO teflon, whioch would only collect in the filter. It gives better protection if you severely overheat the engine, perhaps.

Welcome, too. I hope you truly enjoy the car and us.

Mike
:w

Guess I was wrong about the teflon.. but 5K miles for an oil change seems kinda long to me.. my shop reccomends every 2K miles... I would say going over 3K and your pushing it.. it's going to have more probability of sludgeing up.. I usually do mine every 2K mainly because I get the oil and filters cheaper then most people.. and i havve access to a shop with a lift.. but I also make shure I don't go over 3 months to do an oil change... so i would say go with wich ever oil you want synthetic or not either 5w or 10w-30 and change it no more then 3K miles...
-Rick

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom