Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Newbie with Questions About a C3

U

"UNSAFE"

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. My name is kevin Willson. I am 50 yrs old and live in Juneau Alaska . I have always been a car nut and my main interest is Corvairs, hence the name "UNSAFE". I have a hopped up 65 Monza that turned 14.9 @ 90 in the quarter my first time out.

I recently (last week) traded my motorcycle for a 78 L48. It is in pretty good condition but I want to improve a few things.

I already replaced all 6 u-joints only to find out that the problem was the positraction unit. I have already ordered a 3.70 unit to replace the 3.08s. It's an automatic.

The car is two tone with dark metallic brown on the lower portion and beige from there up. The interior is doeskin with brown carpets. The paint code is 89L , it has pace car spoilers front and rear. The carpet appears orig and I can't find any sign of brown under the beige paint. I cannot find any info about this paint code. If 89 is for dark brown , what is the L for? lower? I have not seen any pics of the doeskin interior with brown carpets yet either. Can this be an original color combination?

I have already ordered a pair of edelbrock performer rpm ,64cc heads and a performer manifold along with a Mallory HEI dist ,a 600cfm edelbrock carb and some chambered dual exhaust. I still yet have to choose some headers. I have a NOS 350/350 cam #3896962 I will be using as well. I was told that a performer RPM manifold won't fit under stock hood so I got the regular performer, Is this true ?

How can I tell if it is a Gymkana suspension ? It came with 255/60/15 tires. It has a 1 1/8th front anti-roll bar and a dinky rear bar that is less than 1/2". Appears to have 5 rear leaf springs. It rides rough!

I already bought a few manuals and have more on the way.

My wipers do not work all of the time, when they are acting up I can hear a noise that sounds like a relay clicking. Is that the problem or could it be the wiper controller?

My tach seems to read about right at idle but reads way too high when cruising,3500@55mph with 3.08s Is this the tach circuit board that I've seen advertised.

The car shows some signs of repair but doesn't appear to have any panels replaced. It does have those silly rectangular headlights that I may revert back to pop-ups if I can find a decent deal on a pair.

I want to get an interior kit,seats,door panels and carpets. Where's the best place to order from ?
Same question for replacement bronze T-tops?

Shocks? I was thinking Konis, I have them on my Corvair.

Tires, I ordered some BFG Radial TAs in 255/60/15.

Brakes are good and don't leak, surprisingly !

This is my second Corvette. I briefly owned a 69 350/350 red coupe about three years ago.
I realize my 78 Vette is not a very rare or desirable model but it is a lot of fun to drive and draws lots of attention in this one horse town! It just needs a little more power and I'm working on that.

Thanks in advance for any input or advice. Fell free to email me direct with vendor recommendations at kbwillson@gci.net
Kevin Willson "UNSAFE"
78 Vette
65 Corvair
01 Toyota Tundra 4x4

Welcome to the club!

Yours sounds like it is in both better and more original shape than mine.

You cannot imagine how lucky you are your $**%!*@# live piston brakes are working and not even leaking!

I had that same squirelly wire coathanger type rear spring...I literally bent it by HAND by accident removing it! That does not sound like one of the good suspension packages - but no matter. Corvettes have more high grade aftermarket options for every system than any other car made. Suspension is one of the better areas. I strongly recommend you get the Vette Brakes Products catalog and pick spring, shock, and sway bar (and other such parts) from their menu. (You're front sway bar sounds decent - there is only one thicker.) When those *@#$( brakes finally fail, they are more well known for these system upgrades, including especially a key upgrade to the calipers - oringed versus lip style seals with SS linings. SSBC is the other main even higher end brake system upgrade for our models - but they are gawdAWFUL expensive.

For all interior and trim needs, you have a huge number of suppliers all offering excellent quality replacements and upgrades. A few of these are Ecklers, MidAmerica, Corvette Central and Corvette America. I would get all the catalogs from them. Don't forget you cna easily use the late C3/sport seats too. To me they are a lot better than the original early style. I think Al Knoch in El Pass also does the rest of the interior and not just ragtops.

They also have complete headlight systems or you can find them on vette sites like this or even on ebay. There are a number of vette junkyards that advertise in the big vette rags too. I think I have regularly seen an add for exactly the whole headlight assy's in one recently. Be aware those headlight systems are very flaky and problem prone with their extensive vaccum systems. Buying all new parts would probably be a fortune. Make sure all the vacuum system throughout the car has new vacuum tubing before messing with them.

BTW the center pumpkin all set up can be had for $800 exchange.

I have some wiper problems, but not that. Mine just like to "swordfight" with each other and try to twist into self destruction before I can get them switched off..

I think you are about right on the hood clearance. Mine came with a cheap aftermarket oversized L88 style thing that the center scoop on is something like 4+" higher than the original flat hood. It alllows not only an Edel RPM Air Gap and a regular (3"?) K&N super filter thing, but a 1" spacer under the carb. With the regular I think you'd need a tiny air cleaner indeed to clear.

For headers, Hooker seems to have the market really dominated. Don't forget you have the option of sidepipes from them also, since you aren't in a totalitarian pollution zone, but they are on the order of $1100.

Tach problem was similar to mine, but I replaced mine with Nordskog digital. Several I have talked to have used the circuit board replacement and got perfect results.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Hello and welcome!! as to some of your questions The L with the paint code means lower if the color is different it will have a differnt number with the L code.As for the wipers the circuit board in the wiper unit itself may be bad, it is replaceable but swapping out the unit is far easier of a task.Yes it may have been equiped with the heavy duty suspension as the rear sway bar is part of the deal, is the build sheet still atop of the gas tank? That will awnswer alot of questions on what was there originaly.As far as the T- Tops are you looking for replacements or wanting to go with a one piece top?There are many vendors that handle vette interiors alot of them can be found advertising on this site.Also if you search this site theres a fellow who offers turning the vacume lights to electric motor operated using mostly late model F body parts all you would need is the headlight doors and assemblys.The koni shocks are a good choice too as I would also look into the fiberglass rear spring much better ride and not to mention lighter. well good luck and most of all have fun!!

juneau, eh? I am from petersburg, I passed through juneau 3 days ago. i will be bringing my '80 up from california, where i am vacationing, this summer. congrats on your vette trade! You have the monza style headlights? by that i mean, the internal/non flip up headlights? Mine are red, but a functioning pair of stock flip ups. if you are looking for a swap back and dont mind repainting, OR, even better, if you find a pair that you are looking for, i will buy the monza style kit from you. i think that would be easier than repainting mine, which have a small bend in them anyways, and you would have nice new vacum parts. let me know. I have the same wiper relay clicking thing. i replaced the wiper motor when i first bought it, 6 months later they were swordfighting occasionally, and now it's just the clicking.
Sounds like things are in good shape though!
Jens

:D Hello and welcome to the Corvette Action Center......Good choice on getting a C-3....Real head turners for sure...Enjoy !!!!

Kevin,

You are REALLY mixed up on one subject, "I realize my 78 Vette is not a very rare or desirable model", maybe not all that rare, but a helluva lot rarer that C4 and C5s. With the bubble fastback, you have the ability to go somewhere in it and pack a cooler and bags for 2 plus more stuff. My wife has the '86 Pace Car convertible and we are lucky to be able to squeeze a change of clothes in it! It is a C3, which is the last that looks like a real raw visceral Vette. Yeah... it has some warts, like rattles and logwagon ride. The 5 leaf spring means you have the gymkhana suspension, standard has 7 leaf springs.

Mine is a '78 L-82 Silver Anniversay 2-tone silver car with the gymkhana suspension and I think the tires absorb more shock than the springs, which ain't much..

Our '78s are among the slowest stock 'Vettes made, since mine wasn't a matching engine number car I swapped in a 355 HP ZZ-4 GM crate motor and a 700-R4 OD trans. Now goes llike stink and blows Mustang GTs and Z28s while still looking innocent. It has the 3:55 gear and now turns 2300 RPM @ 75MPH as opposed to 3500 @ 75 with the TH350 trans.

A problem you likely don't have in AK is a dead A/C unit. It is a Tennessee necessity and I am in the process of rebuilding mine which is a true pain-in-the-butt.

Another good forum site is the C3 Corvette registry, www.c3vr.com . Tons of info on our rough and rattly rides there, and lots of knowledgeable members.

Ride with pride, you have one most useful and desirable 'Vettes around!

Dave

You have done a wise thing by joining this forum. There are some very knowledgeable corvette fanatics here. If you are looking for headlights at a reasonable price check this link: http://motors.search.ebay.com/1968-68-1969-69-1970-70-1971-71-1972-72-1973-73-1974-74-1975-75-1976-76-1977-77-1978-78-1979-79-1980-80-1981-81-1982-82-1983-83-corvette_Parts-Accessories_W0QQfromZR10QQfrtsZ2650QQfsooZ2QQfsopZ2QQsacatZ6028QQsamcmZ6028QQsaspiZ2QQsatitleZQ281968Q2c68Q2c1969Q2c69Q2c1970Q2c70Q2c1971Q2c71Q2c1972Q2c72Q2c1973Q2c73Q2c1974Q2c74Q2c1975Q2c75Q2c1976Q2c76Q2c1977Q2c77Q2c1978Q2c78Q2c1979Q2c79Q2c1980Q2c80Q2c1981Q2c81Q2c1982Q2c82Q2c1983Q2c83Q29Q20corvette

You should find the left and right assemblies up for bid. Good luck and let us know how the car comes along.

I used to be like you in that I was slightly ashamed of my Corvette because everything wasn't perfect and it wasn't a big block, etc., etc. Someone told me face to face as you have been told here in the forum. Be proud. You've got a great car that most guys would love to have. Instead, they're like the guy on the Harley commercial who bought a dinette set.

In a vette, the road goes on forever, and the party never ends.

Thanks for the info guys, I was begining to wonder if anyone was out there.

Don't misunderstand me, I really do like my 78 but like Dave said , they aren't very fast when stock.

Heres what I've done or bought so far to improve the performance. Some items are not installed yet but I have it all apart and am ready to reassemble. Edelbrock Performer rpm aluminum heads(64cc strait plug) Performer polished intake, Performer 600cfm carb,a new 350/350 cam with Crane lifters and a true dual chambered exhaust with headers plus a 3.70 rear end to replace the 3.08s. I also ordered an aluminum radiator and a set of Radial T.A.s in 255/60.
No smog requirements or inspections up here in Alaska ! YET !
I checked compression before dismantling and it was within specs at 135-150psi. There is zero cylinder ridge, I will probably re-ring and put some bearings in it while it's apart.
I also order some new glass T-tops in bronze. I have one excellent passenger side blue m-111 top I will try to sell on Ebay.
I might take Jens up on that headlight swap!

I still don't know for sure abount my paint code though, it is 89L with no other number to denote a second color. the car is beige on top and brown on the bottom. Could this be original color scheme?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Kevin Willson

kevin.. here is a picture of my car, most obviously the paint is was off from what you're looking for. on the drivers side headlight, there is a small, almost imperceptible bend in one of the corners. Also the fiberglass on the same headlight is slghtly cracked, but unnoticeable unless you have them popped open in the daylight and start poking around. If you want them, cool, I'll be back in petersburg in may/early june at the latest. I know someone who works for pac-wing and flies free back and forth. If you dont want them, let me know when you get headlights from somewhere else so i can buy the monza kit from you.
Uff da, Jens

Kevin,

The 89 in the color code indicates dark Corvette brown, 59 indicates beige. I think the factory code for the 2-tone you describe would be 59/89. Mine is the 2-tone silver and is 13/07. I got that info here;

http://100megsfree4.com/corvette/

Click on 1978.

Since you have it torn apart, you REALLY oughta consider going with the TH700-R4 overdrive trans with that 3:70 gear. IN addition to the .7 OD 4th speed, you get a little deeper 1st for a killer hole shot. Mine has the 3:55 gear and it sceramed it's guts out at 80 MPH. The lockup torque converter along with the OD will really help your gas mileage. Unless you brew your own gas from that vast Alaskan oil reserve we keep hearing about, better mileage would be a real plus nowadays. Look for the conversion to cost upward of a grand. You'll need to shorten your driveshaft by 3-1/2" and get a 700-R4 crossmember or figger out as way to move your rear trans mount back 3".

This site has a lot of good info about the conversion;

http://www.smokemup.com/tech/700r4.php

Note the detail they go into about the throttle valve setup and get their TV kit. It will save you a ton of hassle. They also have the crossmember. I got a TV kit from Lokar and saved a few bucks, but wish I would have gone with the kit from the website like my buddy did. His shifta lots firmer than mine. Another pretty good site is ;

www.trasnmissioncenter.net/700r4.htm

Keep us posted on your progress!

Dave

also look into the 200-4r from bowtieoverdrives.com

same as a 700-r4, but a bit less prone to breakage or whatnot. plus, no driveshaft shortening and balancing required, a true drop in kit! bowtieoverdrives made my od tranny swap very easy and painless. about $1300 all told.
But also, like someone said... it would take 520 gallons of gas to pay that off. thats 520 saved, not 520 burned. and the roads in jueau really arent that long as it it. be glad you're not in petersburg or wrangell though... i have trouble finding a road i can break 100 on, let alone cruise at 70mph for awhile.

Jens

Mickey wrote >>>>You might get more response by asking your questions one per post<<<<

Please sir , what is the reasoning for only asking 1 question at a time?
Attention span?

Seriously.

It seems to me you could just choose one of my questions to answer and let someone else answer the others.

Sorry to be so rude, but on the Corvair center forum that I frequent ,there is no rule limiting me to only 1 question and I often answer multiple questions for others without hassling anyone.

It may take ME awhile to get used to the "Corvette" rules !

Kevin Willson

>>>The 89 in the color code indicates dark Corvette brown, 59 indicates beige. I think the factory code for the 2-tone you describe would be 59/89. Mine is the 2-tone silver and is 13/07. I got that info here;<<<

Thanks for the reply Dave. what you say about the paint code sounds right to me but my code is definitely 89L without a second number. ????

Thanks Kevin.

Yours may have been brown out of the box then someone may ave 2-toned it later, but I can't imagine why. In '78 they made a bunch of different 2-tones.

Dave

UNSAFE said:
It may take ME awhile to get used to the "Corvette" rules !
No rule about number of questions that I'm aware of (and I should know, right?) but if you throw out a dash of questions, sometimes one or two might get missed in the fray of answers. It looks like most of your questions got some kinda response!

I've been to your neck of the woods back in the early 90s while I was living in Prince Rupert, BC. I don't recall seeing too many Vettes but I was there during the rainy season... :D

-Mac

ps: You asked about interior packages? Check out our Sponsors! and when you make your order, remember to mention the CAC... there's usually a discount for doing so.

Mac said:
No rule about number of questions that I'm aware of (and I should know, right?) but if you throw out a dash of questions, sometimes one or two might get missed in the fray of answers.

Exactly my point, but much more diplomatically expressed.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom