Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

[NEWS] 2005 Chevy Corvette Coupe

Ken

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Z51 Silver Coupe
From the LongIslandPress.com:

2005 CHEVY CORVETTE COUPE
BASE PRICE: $43,710
AS TESTED: $45,915

Greg Zyla 06/23/2005 1:12 pm

This week, I test-drove the all-new sixth-generation 2005 Chevy Corvette. This car is still, dollar for dollar, the best sports car in the world. Unlike the rough-riding pre-1998 models, the new Corvettes are as comfortable as can be. And with 400 horsepower on tap, every trip turned out to be a fun drive.

The 6.0-liter, 364 cubic-inch V-8 is the most powerful standard small-block engine ever offered by Corvette. It features Z06-inspired cylinder heads, a bigger cam, lighter exhaust system and a better computer chip aimed at performance. The compression ratio is 10.9-to-1, requiring premium fuel, of course.

As for curb weight, the new Corvette weighs 3,179 pounds, which is lighter than its predecessor. Top speed is listed at 186 mph, making it the fastest production Corvette in history. You'll go from zero to 62 in about 5.4 seconds with the automatic, and just 4.2 seconds with the six-speed. Add the extra-cost Z51 package, and 62 mph comes in just 4.1 seconds. The quarter-mile? How about 12.6 seconds at 114 mph for the stick, and about 13.4 at 107 for the automatic.

My tester came with the automatic transmission, which is a no-cost option in place of a fine-shifting Tremec six-speed manual. It's a four-speed Hydramatic design mated to a 2.73 rear-end ratio, resulting in a car that delivers 18 mpg city and 26 mpg highway (28 mpg with the six-speed). These are amazing numbers considering the 400 horsepower under the hood.

Although the '05 Corvette is 5 inches shorter and about 1 inch narrower than its predecessor, the all-new interior features just as much usable room. The ability of a two-seat sports car to hold two golf bags deserves special mention. Instrumentation is excellent, and an AM/FM/CD player with MP3 capability is standard. Options include an improved Bose audio system with an in-dash six-disc changer and XM Satellite Radio. OnStar and Navigation also are available.

Up front, the fixed Xenon High-Intensity Discharge lamps provide superior lighting, but I'd like to see the exposed headlights (not seen on Corvettes since 1962) under wraps again.

Underneath, the Corvette retains its rear-mounted transmission that results in a near-perfect 51 percent front to 49 percent rear weight ratio. Suspension cradles, control arms, knuckles, springs, dampers, bushings, stabilizer bars and steering gear have all been redesigned. New Goodyear Extended Mobility Tires on larger wheels (18-inch front, 19-inch rear) take advantage of the latest sidewall design and compound technology for run-flat capability.

Three suspension choices allow drivers to choose the setup that best suits their driving style. My tester came with the standard suspension that is tuned for a balance of ride comfort and precise handling. Optional F55 Magnetic Selective Ride Control and Z51 Performance Package suspensions are also available. All three suspensions feature anti-lock braking, traction control and Active Handling. This new dynamic chassis control system is less intrusive to the driver and more adept at making the driving experience a memorable one. Your Chevy dealer can explain in detail how it all works.

The Corvette delivers more high-tech excitement and driving precision than is usually found in a sports car that bases for just $43,710. The reason I say "just" $43,710 is because, as I've said many times in the past, if the Corvette carried a Ferrari badge, it would cost $250,000. I still firmly believe this.

I rate the new-generation Corvette a 10 on a scale of one to 10. 'Nuff said.

Likes: Unbelievable performance, great comfort, world-class handling.

Dislikes: Exposed headlights; bring me a six-speed!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom