Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Next Corvette to Get All-New Small-Block: C7 will Debut with GM's latest V-8

Corvette
2012 💯 4LT GS Roadster

According to sources inside GM, the C7 Corvette will be one of the first cars fitted with the next-generation small-block V-8 GM has announced it is investing $890 million to develop and manufacture.

GM has confirmed the new small-block V-8s will feature aluminum blocks and heads, direct-injection, and a new combustion system. Our sources say the C7 engine will displace 5.5 liters, with a target output of about 440 horsepower.

The new small-block will retain a traditional overhead-valve layout, ensuring compact dimensions and lower manufacturing costs. Prototype engines reportedly are already running on test beds in Detroit.

August, 2010 Motor Trend: Mike Connor

Good news for sure. I was worried that they might bring back the side valve layout. :)

That concept looks pretty good too.
Nice to see a fresh small block v8 with fresh technologies coming out.
On other forums, people were complaining over the 4-10 hp only improvement for the base engine, I'd say more HP from a smaller displacement and lighter vehicle is a good thing. As long as they manage to maintain a good power / torque band throughout its rpm range (idle to max RPM ideally). Im curious to see what the "Z-whatever" version of the car will be pumping out, if they ever make one haha.
I am going to keep tabs on this new engine for sure.

Well I guess I'll pass on the first year of the C7 .I'll let the rest of you folks be the guinea pigs :D

Agreed, :L. Besides, wont be able to afford one of those anyways. I think i'll use that opportunity to get a C6 (preferably a Grand Sport C6) at a reduced price.

By the time the C7 comes out I won't be allowed to drive any more.:W

But like all the Corvettes I'm sure that after a few years they will be a great machine.

I dont get it!!

:w Almost a $billion to develop an engine that no one needs. Years ago the auto cos. could be able to afford that expense out of big time profits. Now they are completely broke and are developing an engine like this.
I also cant figure out why BMW has so much trouble with direct injection.:confused

BTW I really like the style of that yellow beauty. They probably used the same frame and changed some panels. Looks great. But why the new engine?:W
How many vettes can they sell??:beer

Selling corvettes ?

:w Almost a $billion to develop an engine that no one needs. Years ago the auto cos. could be able to afford that expense out of big time profits. Now they are completely broke and are developing an engine like this.
I also cant figure out why BMW has so much trouble with direct injection.:confused

BTW I really like the style of that yellow beauty. They probably used the same frame and changed some panels. Looks great. But why the new engine?:W

Ya know you asked a really good question ! How many units does General motors need to produce in a year to make it worthwhile?

The high point was 1979 at 53.000 vettes sold. After that it was 1984, and from then on the numbers drop to around 20K- 30K units. Of course in the recent upheaval of finances the number of uints built wander to some pretty low numbers. I wonder what is the break even point ? ;squint:

I am sure that the new engine will be used across the board, not just for corvette. Why the new engine? I am sure it mainly for CAFE requirements and emissions. Kind of looks like a ferrari knock off to me, but I like it.

What are the problems you are referring to with the BMW direct injection fuel system?

New engine??

:wThe only way it even remotely makes sense is that this is THE V8 for all of GM, including trucks.
They can change things around for performance or utility. The product line may look like: I4, V6, V8.
They may even be used across product lines like Buick/cadillac.
BUT why now and why cant they use the existing V8 until they go completely out of business?? Soon??:W

What are the problems you are referring to with the BMW direct injection fuel system?

:wThe BMW 335/535 twin turbo direct injection I6 engine N54? has had problems with fuel injectors and DI fuel pumps for about 5+years??
They have increased the DI warranty for ~120k miles.
I dont have statistics but it is definitely a problem.

:wThe only way it even remotely makes sense is that this is THE V8 for all of GM, including trucks.
They can change things around for performance or utility. The product line may look like: I4, V6, V8.
BUT why now and why cant they use the existing V8 until they go completely out of business?? Soon??:W

I read somewhere, (Road and Track magazine I believe) that this new engine is overdue as the CAFE and the EPA requirements demand a new direct injected and redesigned V8, but in the long run it's going to be vastly better than the current LSX line of V8's. But this corvette above body changes are too such edgy stark and striking lines, I don't know, it's styling that doesn't sit well with me. I guess I'm stuck in the 20th century ? I like the styling of the Cadillac line, but this yellow C7 coupe drawing doesn't do anything for me. :ugh

I am sure trucks and passenger cars will be heavily involved with the powerplant. I imagine the reason that they cannot use the current LS architecture is because of the direct injection, I am pretty certain that cylinder pressures will be higher. Thanks for the info on the BMW DFI problems.

Actually, the development IS needed. If GM doesn't develope the engine, they will have problems like AUDI does with their DI engine. It takes time/money to work the bugs out.

I guess if GM "goes out of business," then you're right, a new engine won't be needed.

This engine is forced upon GM by the Gov't.

Fuel Mileage

I have read that the new Vette base engine would be the 5.5 with direct injection and variable valve timing and most of that to provide improved gas mileage. What happened to LS engines that reduced the mileage in the C6 to only 25-26? My C5 would get near 30 at reasonable highway speeds if the highway was relatively flat and I could keep my foot out of it.

I have read that the new Vette base engine would be the 5.5 with direct injection and variable valve timing and most of that to provide improved gas mileage. What happened to LS engines that reduced the mileage in the C6 to only 25-26? My C5 would get near 30 at reasonable highway speeds if the highway was relatively flat and I could keep my foot out of it.

Nothing happened to the engines. The lower EPA rating for all cars is the result of a revised mileage test procedure. The new procedures take into account more realistic "trips" rather than just steady-state interstate driving.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom