Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Nice day for a drive but...late cooling fan engage

M

markone

Hey guys, I need help. Was out driving in 58 degree temps in SE PA today and everything was cool. Windows down, no heat or air. When I got back to the house and parked her outside the garage (while I prepared for the return to sleep) I left it running (about 5 minutes). When I jumped back in to pull it inside, I noticed the temp gage was almost pegged in the 260 zone, at that instant the cooling fan or fans came on and the gage dropped back to the normal zone but at the high end. Question: do I have a problem or is this normal? One other piece of info: when the A/C is on the cooling fan is almost always on and the temperature always stays in the normal range. Thanks for any comments.

markone

markone said:
Hey guys, I need help. Was out driving in 58 degree temps in SE PA today and everything was cool. Windows down, no heat or air. When I got back to the house and parked her outside the garage (while I prepared for the return to sleep) I left it running (about 5 minutes). When I jumped back in to pull it inside, I noticed the temp gage was almost pegged in the 260 zone, at that instant the cooling fan or fans came on and the gage dropped back to the normal zone but at the high end. Question: do I have a problem or is this normal? One other piece of info: when the A/C is on the cooling fan is almost always on and the temperature always stays in the normal range. Thanks for any comments.

markone
Everything sounds normal with the exception of the 260 zone.
What was your digital coolant temp?

Mike,

Sorry Mike, I didn't even think to check, I will next time out. What I don't understand is why would the fan engage when the temp is in the danger zone and not before?

Hopefully your analog guage is reading a bit warmer than the digital. Normal fan operation for my '94 with the A/C off is;

228* Fans on
217* Fans off

When my digital reads 228* the analog appears to be near what you call "danger zone". Alarming at first but normal operation.

Let us know what the digital reads your next time out.

Jeff

Jeff:

OK, thanks for the info, I'll check on the next outting which probably won't be for some time, appreciate the feedback.

Mark

I have seen a couple of threads like this, I guess its due to the mild weather people are out and about without using their AC. This is the first car I've owned that runs cooler in hot weather with the AC on than off.
(I know due to both cooling fans coming on at low speed driving)
Mike

If both your fans come on when you have the a/c on, you're fortunate; on my '89, one fan comes on with a/c on, the other waits until top water hits 228F - and I'm sorry, that's just too dadblamed hot!
So I've wired my fans to a switch - both come on when I hit the switch.
Works great.

Check the coolant and make sure you dont have air in the system. Your M/Y should still have a rad. cap open it and it should be right to the top. My bets are on the guage since you didnt mention the SES light being on.

In my 91, sometimes the temp goes to something close to 240. Is there a way to check the digital temp in my car?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom