Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! No brake lights

Corvette
08 Jetstream Blue Z51 coupe
Anyone seen this before? The 4 large brake lights on my 02 have quit working. Bulbs are good, flashers work, turn signals work, the 3rd brake light (middle light) comes on when the brake is applied but none of the others. ;shrug Is it the brake light switch? Why does the middle light work and none of the others?

Dale

Well hopefully Paul will see this post soon. I'm a little surprised that nobody has seen this before. It would be great to have a starting point. I think I'll take a run at tearing down the steering colume and take a look at the stem switch unless someone has another suggestion. ;shrug

Dale

Anyone seen this before? The 4 large brake lights on my 02 have quit working. Bulbs are good, flashers work, turn signals work, the 3rd brake light (middle light) comes on when the brake is applied but none of the others. ;shrug Is it the brake light switch? Why does the middle light work and none of the others?

Dale

I'm no expert but I'd try looking at the fuses. Check your manual for diagram for fuses. I think there may be more than one fuse for brake/tail lamps.

I've not seen this issue with my '98 either, Dale. But I'm bookmarking this thread to monitor your findings for future reference.

Hope you can resolve it quick and easy!
:wJane Ann

I'm thinking you have a bad signal switch,I think both brake lights go through the signal switch to cancel one or the other when the signals are on!!:thumb But I'm not sure,they may have some sort of module for that now!!:D:D:D

Hey Dale! I actually have experienced the exact same thing but sadly it wasn't with the Vette. It was my 95 Monte and it ended up being a relay of some sort.

Send Paul a PM with a link to this thread, I'm sure he can help.

Looking at the FSM for MY02, I'd agree with the suggestions to examine the stop light wiriing going in and out of the mutifunction turn signal switch, but also look at the hazard warning swtich. The brake lights branch off at the stoplight switch output, then go to the hazard switch, then to the multifunction switch and then to the lamps.

Remember, problems like this are just as often wires and connections as they are components.

Mr DDLS1, Did you get the Skeematics I sent you??:thumb If not let me know,I'll set up a sub folder on my web sight and post them there!!:thumb

:beer

Thanks Jesse...gmjunkie

After a look at them "skeematics" it was no doubt the hazard switch. A bit of testing confirmed that. Finally tore the dash apart and got the dang thing out. Took it apart, cleaned it with some denatured alcohol and reassembled it. Plugged it in and retested, and the stupid thing works now ;shrug. I'm thinking I'll replace it anyway since it is so much fun to get too :boogie.

Dale

Thanks Jesse...gmjunkie

After a look at them "skeematics" it was no doubt the hazard switch. A bit of testing confirmed that. Finally tore the dash apart and got the dang thing out. Took it apart, cleaned it with some denatured alcohol and reassembled it. Plugged it in and retested, and the stupid thing works now ;shrug. I'm thinking I'll replace it anyway since it is so much fun to get too :boogie.

Dale
Maybe Not!!;shrugI've found allot that some of the Slimmers that shine up the the upholstery will find it's way into switch's and collect dirt and make them quit working!!Thats why I use nothing inside my car but a damp rag and mild soap and water,except a Quality Leather cleaner/conditioner on my seats,and sometimes a spot carpet cleaner on the carpet!~!:thumb:thumb

I've got a new one ordered! Tested the switch again and it was intermittent.........worked when it wanted to :r so bye bye. As soon as it comes it will be re-assembly time.

Dale

Intermittent Brake Lights

I hope this post helps someone who has a similar issue with brake lights. Pulled into a gas station with my 94 Coupe when someone let me know my brake lights were out and only the high middle light was working. Went home and started troubleshooting. The issue seemed to be in the tilt steering wheel and all I could see was dishing out $$$$ to get it fixed. Determined to get to the bottom of the problem, I removed the two brake light switches behind the brake pedal with no change. I walked away from the problem for awhile and then started fiddling with the wire under the dash. The brake lights are now going on and off. Upon a closer inspection of the FLAT CONNECTOR on the steering column, it was noted that the two wire (white & orange) connector was only pushed in half way. I pushed the connector back into its clips and now my brake lights are back!!:happyanim:

Intermittent Brake Lights

Looking at the FSM for MY02, I'd agree with the suggestions to examine the stop light wiriing going in and out of the mutifunction turn signal switch, but also look at the hazard warning swtich. The brake lights branch off at the stoplight switch output, then go to the hazard switch, then to the multifunction switch and then to the lamps.

Remember, problems like this are just as often wires and connections as they are components.

As I found out, the connector with the power for the brake lights was loose on the flat connector located on the steering column.

Just saw this Thread. I know he figured out the problem, just surprised on one posted the schematic for the Hazard and Multifunction switch interface. The 3rd brake light (for Domestics) goes straight from the brake pedal switch to the 3rd center light and does not go thru either of these components.

As you can see there is only one switch contact in the Hazard switch which could cause all 4 lights to not work, while it would take 2 contacts in the Multifunction switch.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom