Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No crank....then crank !

roger longman

Corvette
1977 c3 orange ! 1988 c4 kinda purple 1991 'race
I returned to my parked '88 Vette, turned the key, dim dash light and no crank, tried again, same thing. I got the booster from the back, it was down on charge, tried it anyway, no difference. Got out the jump leads found a donor, as he was on his way over, I tried it once more, fired right up and has been fine since. What could it be ? Any pointers would be appreciated........Roger...:w

I returned to my parked '88 Vette, turned the key, dim dash light and no crank, tried again, same thing. I got the booster from the back, it was down on charge, tried it anyway, no difference. Got out the jump leads found a donor, as he was on his way over, I tried it once more, fired right up and has been fine since. What could it be ? Any pointers would be appreciated........Roger...:w

If it was not the VATS, look at the volt meter...did it have at least 11.5?

something thats I've mistaken for a problem was the shifter not being locked in PARK. I sat in a grocery store parking lot for an hour thinking the VATS was melting my ice cream when the problem was the shifter had not fully hit the switch.....(idiot)

May be time to check the battery connections at both ends.

Mine started to do the same It is a bad starter.

There are two ideas being offered to your problem. What is common about both of them. They both involve the wires to the battery and the starter. They both require the removal of the wires and and then reattaching them. This would suggest that the wires are the problem and maybe not the starter. That is not to say that the starter for the one poster was not bad but the first thing to do is what has already been suggested check the wires and clean the connections.

Thanks Boom, Junk, Marv and John, I checked the shifter at the time, I thought about the ground connections but find it a bit difficult to reconcile it with the fact that at one moment it was as dead as a dodo and the next it was fine, without anything being touched. Having said that, you all know way better than me and, Junk particularly cites bad connections for many Vette problems, so it's out with the wire brush and grease. Thanks again to you all........Roger...:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom