Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No Headlights?

captin george

Corvette
1970 Laguna Grey Coupe
I had been having a problem when I would hit my high beams, I took the car out the other night, started home after dark, and I couldn't get any lights at all.
I have power to the light switch and to the High-low beam switch.
The scematic I was looking at shows a fuse panel and bulkhead connection.
I know where the fuse panel is, But what it a bulkhead connection?
It shows I should have a 15 amp circut breaker, but where? That may be the problem.

The bulkhead is located right under your mastercylinder it backs up to the fuse panel completing the circuit into your engine compartment.

Your high beams and low beams are both connected and switched at the lever on the steering column. If your switch is bad, it will probably affect both of the high and low beams since that is where the voltage from the fusebox routes through. A loose contact or broken switch body will cause a loss of power through that circuit to the headlights.
But if you have voltage to the breaker and the switch, do you have voltage to the lamps? If you do, then you may have a bad ground connection at the headlamp harness. The bulkhead connector is on the firewall and is the main connection from inside the cabin and outside in the engine compartment. It has a lot of wires going though the connector and can be seen by following all of the main wires from the wiring harness in the engine compartment.

On a '70, power is fed from the headlight switch to the floor-mounted dimmer switch through a 14-ga. light blue wire, and from the switch to the high and low beam headlights through the fuse block and the outboard multiple connector on the engine side of the firewall. If you have power in the wires from the dimmer switch (tan for low beams, light green for high beams), the problem is forward of there, either corrosion in the multiple connector on the fuse block or in the connectors at the headlights. The headlight system circuit breaker is internal to the headlight switch itself. If your park, turn signal, and marker lights are working, the ground is OK - they use the same ground at the radiator support that the headlights use.
:beer

Bulkhead Connection

JohnZ said:
On a '70, power is fed from the headlight switch to the floor-mounted dimmer switch through a 14-ga. light blue wire, and from the switch to the high and low beam headlights through the fuse block and the outboard multiple connector on the engine side of the firewall. If you have power in the wires from the dimmer switch (tan for low beams, light green for high beams), the problem is forward of there, either corrosion in the multiple connector on the fuse block or in the connectors at the headlights. The headlight system circuit breaker is internal to the headlight switch itself. If your park, turn signal, and marker lights are working, the ground is OK - they use the same ground at the radiator support that the headlights use.
John,
Thanks for the info.
There is power to the dimmer switch, checked the bulkhead connector (its clean), and I do have Park lights. could it be the Connection for 1 light disrupts the whole system? I hope there not like Christmas lights. I'm seriously thinking of taking it to a garage. I'll check the light connections, are there any connections between the bulk head and the lights? I looked for some but didn't see any.
When I drove home, (following a friend) I got stopped by a cop, He gave me a written warning so I have 20 days to get it fixed or I ger a fine.
Thanks again,
George

captin george said:
John,
Thanks for the info.
There is power to the dimmer switch, checked the bulkhead connector (its clean), and I do have Park lights. could it be the Connection for 1 light disrupts the whole system? I hope there not like Christmas lights. Thanks again,
George

You say you have power TO the dimmer switch (that's the light blue wire from the headlight switch) - do you have power OUT of the dimmer switch (tan for low beams, light green for high beams when you operate the dimmer)?

If you have power OUT of the dimmer switch, the problem is either in the multiple connector (check for power in the tan and light green wires where they exit the connector body on the engine side) or at the driver's side low beam headlight connector (that connector feeds all four lamps).

I finally got the problem solved, It was actuallt the light switch.

I had put too much time into it, so I brought it to my mechanic and he solved the problem, Igues sometimes ya just gotta go to the pros.
Thanks to everyone who helped.
George

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom