Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No high speed fan

I know this has been talked about many times but I can't find the answer I want. I have a 82 vette, fan won't run on high. I have read where there is a 30 amp fuse, supposedly on driver inside fender. I have looked along with other people and cannot find it. Does the 82 have the inline fuse o not, and where is it? Any photo would help, I'm old, but can still see. Thanks for allowing me to go in your sire

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center!

I'm going to move your thread into the C3 Tech forum for greater exposure.

I know this has been talked about many times but I can't find the answer I want. I have a 82 vette, fan won't run on high. I have read where there is a 30 amp fuse, supposedly on driver inside fender. I have looked along with other people and cannot find it. Does the 82 have the inline fuse o not, and where is it? Any photo would help, I'm old, but can still see. Thanks for allowing me to go in your sire

The multi-terminal plug that connects to your blower relay may be burned up. Pull it off and see what the terminals look like and also see what the terminals on the relay look like (best to take the relay off to look at it). The terminals will get pretty hot when the fan is on HIGH and that heat will cook the terminals over time. If the relay's terminals are burned up new relays are readily available for $15 or so.

Welcome to CAC!!!
enjoy!!!

does your fan work at other speeds????

The FSM for my 81 doesn't show the fuse nor did I spot one when replacing the wiring. So I don't think you will have it on the 82 either.
there should be 12v on the red wire at the relay at all times. Check this just to be sure it is there.
then check for voltage on the purple wire with the blower set to high speed (ignition on). You should also hear the relay click when you change to and from high speed.
if you are getting 12v on the purple wire then I would suspect a poor ground.
If you don't get 12v on the purple wire and you can hear the relay click then replace the relay. If the relay doesn't click check for 12v on the orange wire (in high speed). If you do find 12v here then replace the relay.
let us know what you find.

Thanks to all, it's good to know I don't have a special fuse , in some unknown location I can't find. Great help. Thanks

I'm not sure I am operating this site properly but to answer ones questions and help they offered, I'm responding to there help. I am getting 12 volt at the red wire constantly. No 12 volt on the purple wire at all. Also I don't see how the relay could be grounded as it is screwed to a plastic box it sits on. Any help? My ears and eyes are open. I think I replaced this relay last fall when I gave up on this problem.

I'm not sure I am operating this site properly but to answer ones questions and help they offered, I'm responding to there help. I am getting 12 volt at the red wire constantly. No 12 volt on the purple wire at all. Also I don't see how the relay could be grounded as it is screwed to a plastic box it sits on. Any help? My ears and eyes are open. I think I replaced this relay last fall when I gave up on this problem.

I assume you measured the voltage on the purple wire with the relay plugged in. If so did you check the voltage on the orange wire?
The relay should have 5 wires on the plug that it connects to, the black one is the ground.

The FSM for my 81 doesn't show the fuse nor did I spot one when replacing the wiring. So I don't think you will have it on the 82 either.
there should be 12v on the red wire at the relay at all times. Check this just to be sure it is there.
then check for voltage on the purple wire with the blower set to high speed (ignition on). You should also hear the relay click when you change to and from high speed.
if you are getting 12v on the purple wire then I would suspect a poor ground.
If you don't get 12v on the purple wire and you can hear the relay click then replace the relay. If the relay doesn't click check for 12v on the orange wire (in high speed). If you do find 12v here then replace the relay.
let us know what you find.
Should I be checking for power at the various wires with the unit plugged in or unplugged?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom