Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No other Generation

I believe the C4 is the most radical Corvette. Which is why I like it and alot of people hate it. Clamshell hood, 180 degree flipping headlights, popping rear hatch, digital dash, Targa see thru top, fitted seats.

What am I missinig here...? The only thing I see in your list that I'd consider close to 'radical' might be the digital dash.

The only thing I see in your list that I'd consider close to 'radical' might be the digital dash. Consider both prior models of the Corvette as well as competitors cars - indeed even entry level sporty cars of that era.

By radical, I mean something not typically seen before in a prior Vette and out of place for the time. For instance, the clam shell hood and 180* flipping head lights. Where else have you seen that at the time? Along with the digital dash, those things are C4 only. Which makes the C4 an odd ball compared to other generations. But that is one of the reasons why I like the C4.

By radical, I mean something not typically seen before in a prior Vette and out of place for the time. For instance, the clam shell hood and 180* flipping head lights. Where else have you seen that at the time? Along with the digital dash, those things are C4 only. Which makes the C4 an odd ball compared to other generations. But that is one of the reasons why I like the C4.

C2 headlights rotate 180*.

YouTube - 1964 Corvette Headlights

The C4 was the first production Corvette to use a clamshell hood, but this was not something NEW. Likely there were earlier sports cars, but beginning in 1961 the Jaguar XKE had a clamshell hood.

C2 headlights rotate 180*.

YouTube - 1964 Corvette Headlights

The C4 was the first production Corvette to use a clamshell hood, but this was not something NEW. Likely there were earlier sports cars, but beginning in 1961 the Jaguar XKE had a clamshell hood.

Those don't flip 180*. More like 90*. Though, they look pretty cool. But I think the C4 headlights are nicer, and are more noticeable when they rotate.

It looks like that Jaguar was pretty much the only other car with the clamshell hood.

But anyways, with regards to Corvettes. The clamshell hood, 180* lights, wrap around body moulding, and digital dash make the C4 an odd ball from all the other generations. I guess that's why there are alot of Corvette enthusiasts who hate the C4.

Those don't flip 180*. More like 90*. Though, they look pretty cool. But I think the C4 headlights are nicer, and are more noticeable when they rotate.

It looks like that Jaguar was pretty much the only other car with the clamshell hood.

But anyways, with regards to Corvettes. The clamshell hood, 180* lights, wrap around body moulding, and digital dash make the C4 an odd ball from all the other generations. I guess that's why there are alot of Corvette enthusiasts who hate the C4.

If you watch the video link you can see the Mid-Year headlights do rotate 180* - 90* rotation would put the leading edge of the headlight module straight up - it clearly rotates 180* to the back.

In addition to the Jaguars, Saab, Austin Healey (Bug Eye Sprite) and others used clamshell hoods before the C4.

I would also disagree with your statement - "there are alot of Corvette enthusiasts who hate the C4". I believe you'll not find many Corvette enthusiasts that "hate" any year Corvette. I loved my 1995, it is a great car and as others have noted, it is a high performance bargain.

Have a nice day!

If you watch the video link you can see the Mid-Year headlights do rotate 180* - 90* rotation would put the leading edge of the headlight module straight up - it clearly rotates 180* to the back.

In addition to the Jaguars, Saab, Austin Healey (Bug Eye Sprite) and others used clamshell hoods before the C4.

I would also disagree with your statement - "there are alot of Corvette enthusiasts who hate the C4". I believe you'll not find many Corvette enthusiasts that "hate" any year Corvette. I loved my 1995, it is a great car and as others have noted, it is a high performance bargain.

Have a nice day!

iagree.gif
iagree.gif
iagree.gif

I never drove a Corvette I didn't like!!:L
But if I did,I'd just make it better!!:D

Have a nice day!

I did watch the video and they rotate 90*. The headlights start off facing the ground. Then they raise up and are facing forward. That is 90*.

But the C4 has a nick name of the red headed step child. And yes, there are alot of Vette enthusiasts who depise the C4 generation. You see alot of posts of C4 people talking about the C5 people don't wave at them. Haha. Or they go to car shows and people turn their noses up cause it is a C4. I've just read all these things over the years.

I rarely ever see C5 owners wave. Only Z06 owners wave because they understand the Corvette no matter which generation. Most C5 owners here in SoCal are conceited. However, the same conceited C5 owners have probably moved on to C6's and now they don't wave to C5 owners! :L

Too many people here who have money and buy the latest and greatest Corvette (or BMW, Lexus, MB, take your pick) to show off and know nothing about their cars and only appreciate them for making them look good while talking on their cell phones!

I rarely ever see C5 owners wave. Only Z06 owners wave because they understand the Corvette no matter which generation. Most C5 owners here in SoCal are conceited. However, the same conceited C5 owners have probably moved on to C6's and now they don't wave to C5 owners! :L

Too many people here who have money and buy the latest and greatest Corvette (or BMW, Lexus, MB, take your pick) to show off and know nothing about their cars and only appreciate them for making them look good while talking on their cell phones!

The wave thing never bothered me. As I never did get into the whole "wave" thing as I much never cared about it. When I had my 81, I kinda got annoyed with people wanting to talk to me and ask me questions about it all the time when I was in town trying to run errands.

I remember trying to wash it at the car wash a few times, and red necks asking me what kind of wheels are on it. What kind of tires. Blah blah while I'm trying to get the car washed so I can get out of there and the meter is running.

I hardly have that happen with my 89 which is nice. Though, as I was trying to leave the car wash one time on my way to work around a year or so ago. Some guy comes running up knocking on my window wanting to talk about C4 Vettes. Then he tried to get me to buy C4 parts from him. Haha. Glad I never ran into him again.

Neither the clamshell hood nor the the trivialities of direction of rotation of pop up headlights would meet any reasonable definition of "radical" much less define an entire generation as 'radical'.

CLAMSHELL: While the Corvette is generally considered a 'high end' premium or luxury sports car - entry level basic sports cars of decades prior already had clamshell hoods - the budget priced basic entry level Triumph Spitfire of the 1960s comes to mind.

180deg POPUPS: If you are impressed by such trivialities as direction of rotation of pop-up headlights I suspect you'll be blown away by the rotation of another GM product - namely the 1970 Opel GT. I'll leave it to you to discover what direction they rotate. C4 headlights? A novelty at best but "radical" - hardly.

On the other hand you failed to so much as note the actual important upgrades the C4 which should be considered. This would include it's computer aided redesigned perimeter style chassis with lack of center bar reinforcing the removable roof panel. However this was not a complete success as is witnessed by the high side rails and load bearing roof panel - ultimately perfected by the hydro-formed frame rails of the C4. Also the C4 later re-introduced the convertible to the Corvette line which you failed to note. Other evolutionary upgrades worthy of mention include the digital dash I mentioned earlier and the suspension tuned for directional speed rated tires. The C4 served as a platform for GMs port injection SB, the LT5 and finally the LT1/4 (which helped springboard the C5s LS engine development).

While I personally love the C4's exterior styling - it's perhaps the least radical of all the generations. Subjectively I consider it to be clean and efficient with mild C3 'shark' influence. In terms of both longevity and units produced - it proved to be one of the most popular ever.

Finally the C4 was replacing a nearly 20 year old chassis in the C2/C3 - it's reasonably to expect that fact alone would guarantee a fairly significant upgrade. (Likewise the C5 was replacing an almost 13 year old long in the tooth platform)

While the C4 brought a lot to the table, the C1 C2 and C5 must also be examined in their context before attempting to define the C4 as 'the radical one'.

Any historical examination of both the US car industry of the early 1950s and specifically GM tells us the C1's mere existence was extremely radical for GM given it's body material and small 2 seater personal sports car configuration - now THAT was radical back in 1953.

Almost equal to this is the C2 - both it's styling and it's IRS chassis setup were quite radical for the early 1960s.

While the C3 has perhaps the most radical styling of any new generation - this is offset but a lack of mechanical upgrades. But since you seem to place great import on minor features - the C3s early flirtation with fibre optics might be worth mentioning.

The C5 not only introduced a new body but also a light yet strong hydroformed chassis, thus perfecting the C4s attempt at a targa. It also ushered in the LS1.

But the C4 has a nick name of the red headed step child. And yes, there are alot of Vette enthusiasts who depise the C4 generation.

Define "a lot"? What percentage would you say despise C4s?

Neither the clamshell hood nor the the trivialities of direction of rotation of pop up headlights would meet any reasonable definition of "radical" much less define an entire generation as 'radical'.

CLAMSHELL: While the Corvette is generally considered a 'high end' premium or luxury sports car - entry level basic sports cars of decades prior already had clamshell hoods - the budget priced basic entry level Triumph Spitfire of the 1960s comes to mind.

180deg POPUPS: If you are impressed by such trivialities as direction of rotation of pop-up headlights I suspect you'll be blown away by the rotation of another GM product - namely the 1970 Opel GT. I'll leave it to you to discover what direction they rotate. C4 headlights? A novelty at best but "radical" - hardly.

On the other hand you failed to so much as note the actual important upgrades the C4 which should be considered. This would include it's computer aided redesigned perimeter style chassis with lack of center bar reinforcing the removable roof panel. However this was not a complete success as is witnessed by the high side rails and load bearing roof panel - ultimately perfected by the hydro-formed frame rails of the C4. Also the C4 later re-introduced the convertible to the Corvette line which you failed to note. Other evolutionary upgrades worthy of mention include the digital dash I mentioned earlier and the suspension tuned for directional speed rated tires. The C4 served as a platform for GMs port injection SB, the LT5 and finally the LT1/4 (which helped springboard the C5s LS engine development).

While I personally love the C4's exterior styling - it's perhaps the least radical of all the generations. Subjectively I consider it to be clean and efficient with mild C3 'shark' influence. In terms of both longevity and units produced - it proved to be one of the most popular ever.

Finally the C4 was replacing a nearly 20 year old chassis in the C2/C3 - it's reasonably to expect that fact alone would guarantee a fairly significant upgrade. (Likewise the C5 was replacing an almost 13 year old long in the tooth platform)

While the C4 brought a lot to the table, the C1 C2 and C5 must also be examined in their context before attempting to define the C4 as 'the radical one'.

Any historical examination of both the US car industry of the early 1950s and specifically GM tells us the C1's mere existence was extremely radical for GM given it's body material and small 2 seater personal sports car configuration - now THAT was radical back in 1953.

Almost equal to this is the C2 - both it's styling and it's IRS chassis setup were quite radical for the early 1960s.

While the C3 has perhaps the most radical styling of any new generation - this is offset but a lack of mechanical upgrades. But since you seem to place great import on minor features - the C3s early flirtation with fibre optics might be worth mentioning.

The C5 not only introduced a new body but also a light yet strong hydroformed chassis, thus perfecting the C4s attempt at a targa. It also ushered in the LS1.

:thumb:thumb:thumb
Good wright up!!
:cool

junk and pqtr,
just have a little closer look at the suspension and steering,
and the overall geometry
and look at the results in handling on the G pad or would that be the Corvette G spot?
and you will notice that the C3's had more in common with an Impala than a C4.
im jus sayin(save me some of what yer smokin)

Another log on the fire...

I think C5s were the biggest detachment form the previous years Corvettes simply because the driving dynamics were changed more drastically from the C4 to the C5 than between any previous generations to the next one.

Its part of the reason why so many C5 drivers don’t wave. To many it’s just another leased sports car. The C5 made driving a Corvette as comfortable as almost any other car, and made the experience of going fast so easy that more people than ever were driving C5s as daily drivers than any other Corvette generation before. You didn’t need to be die-hard performance car enthusiast and put up with the rough ride, entry and exit issues and cramped spaces of previous Corvettes to have a daily ride that has exotic car performance.

I have spent much time in C2s, C3s and owned 2 C4s and C5s. The experience of driving previous generations was largely determined by the power plants and optional brakes and suspensions- but in comparison to the C5. They are rode like – well, less comfortably for any length of time. The C5 really made it look and feel easy.

Hmmmm, metric motorcycle.......maybe thats calispeak for crotch rocket??

Naaah, would much rather have a hog......dont have to worry about actually driving it, or going fast or getting race bike like performance. Just happy the thing actually starts.......maybe tow it around on a trailer....

I guess it is all a matter of perspective. And I didn't fail at anything as I was under no obligations. My intention wasn't to "note the actual important upgrades". Which is subjective at best. I was just simply noting some of the visual distinctions between the C4 and the other Vettes. Which was not intended to be an all-inclusive list anyways. Whether someone feels those things are "radical" or not is a matter of opinion.

I really like the 180 degree rotating headlights ever since I first saw it. If someone else thinks that is ridiculous, then I much don't care. As I like what I like regardless.

Every generation has been given upgrades. So, it's a mute point in arguing that one generation is better than the other simply based on upgrades.

I'm sure I could go pull out a 1 inch thick Corvette book and note 1,000 upgrades you have "failed" to mention. I also noticed in your diatribe that you didn’t mention anything about Bose. Oops… haha.

This is for your enjoyment:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HlZAAaF5Ng

Hmmmm, metric motorcycle.......maybe thats calispeak for crotch rocket??

Naaah, would much rather have a hog......dont have to worry about actually driving it, or going fast or getting race bike like performance. Just happy the thing actually starts.......maybe tow it around on a trailer....

lol...like my previous post on trailer hitches?
lol

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom