Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No Spark...Need help please....

Corvette
1973 L-48 Coupe
So I had to replace my original starter and had a few problems doing it. To save lots of time detailing here I will cut to the chase....

I have it turning over and have no spark at the plugs now.....Im just looking for a place to start to check where the spark ends, and how to go about it....it ran well before doing the job so im sure i have a wire or something crossed and just need an easy way of running it down by process of elimination.

Thanks in advance , Chas:cool

Chas,
Are we talking points and coil, or electronic ignition? The older ones have the battery lug and two small posts on the starter solenoid. (newer ones only have 1, I'm told) The inside post engages the starter, and the outside one sends spark to the coil while it is cranking, and once it starts it gets power from the resistored wire. This is probably the mis-routed wire. Good luck!

Craig

Chas,
Are we talking points and coil, or electronic ignition? The older ones have the battery lug and two small posts on the starter solenoid. (newer ones only have 1, I'm told) The inside post engages the starter, and the outside one sends spark to the coil while it is cranking, and once it starts it gets power from the resistored wire. This is probably the mis-routed wire. Good luck!

Craig
:upthumbs :upthumbs :upthumbs

Many Thanks for the info....This is a converted old to electronic ignition i had done... so your saying i have a wire crossed at the starter?
I had my son do the starter as my back wont allow me to get under it right now....Thanks again:beer :beer Chas

The coil bypass wire isn't connected properly at the starter solenoid. The inboard small "S" terminal should only have the 12-ga. purple wire on it that energizes the solenoid, and the outboard small "R" terminal should only have a 20-ga. yellow wire on it - that's the circuit that carries power to the ignition while the engine is cranking. If that yellow wire isn't connected to the "R" terminal (or is damaged or broken), you can crank it all day and it'll never start.

:beer

Many Thanks....Im going out there in a few and will get back with the results.

Chas:beer

Well the wiring was correct after all...the module was toast in the conversion kit that was installed a few years ago....purrin like a kitten now!
Many thanks for your help guys
Chas

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom