Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No start after steering column rebuild

vsg914

Corvette
96lt-1
I finally got the parts for the steering column, and its back in the car. It does not crank. I have 12 volts on the large yellow wire from the plugin at the ignition switch on the column with the key in the start position. No voltage at the solenoid. I can jump the solenoid and the car will start and immediately die. The wiring schematic says there is a starter interupt relay in the circuit. Could this be the problem, and where is it located?

Thanks in advance.
Frustrated in T-town.

No start

Sounds like the VATS isn't satisfied. Have you connected the wiring from the ignition switch correctly at the base of the steering column? You can evaluate by measuring the resistance of the key then comparing the resistance at the connector at the base of the steering column (it is connected, isn't it???). Also, did the rebuild involve replacing the tumbler and key? If so, the key must have the same resistance as the old one.
More info regarding the details of the steering column rebuild would help.
Good luck from a former Drumright resident (50 miles to the west).

I replaced the actuator that attaches to the switch rod. same key as before. Are you talking about the large plug on the ignition switch? Yes, its pluged in.

BTW, I have a lot of old friends in "big D"

There is a seperate connector on the column with two small wires that goes up to the key position.
This is the VATS cable.
If that is faulty or disconnected you will get the condition you have.
No starter and no injector pulse.

There is a seperate connector on the column with two small wires that goes up to the key position.
This is the VATS cable.
If that is faulty or disconnected you will get the condition you have.
No starter and no injector pulse.
The 2 small VATS wires from the lock tumbler are White with a Orange cover insulation,they plug into a Yellow and Brown!!:thumb
The one pictured has been by passed!!:thumb

:thumb Thanks for the help guys. Turned out that one of the wires had pulled apart inside the key switch. New switch, and she's back on the road. :beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom