Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

No start

Iroc2Vette

Corvette
2013 Z06 1LZ
I don't know if others who own a C6 have had this issue. Very occasionally, after parking for about 10-20 min, I'll get in, and there'd be no green indicator light on the start/stop ignition toggle switch. When I press the top of the rocker in to start, I get a 'engine' lit icon on the dashboard. And the engine won't start. At first, this really freaked me out. Then I tried pressing the bottom of the toggle switch, then press the top and the engine fires right up. I've also found that once, when I got out of the gym and climbed in, I had the same issue. This time, I pressed the 'UNLOCK' button on the key fob and I was able to start the engine.

I'm posting this in case anyone else out there has a similar issue. I don't think I'm the only one, but, I might be. This 'no start' is a very random event. I've changed the key fob battery and it might or might not happen soon after a battery swap. But, the good thing is that my 'work arounds' are working at present. So, if anyone else has had this same occurrence and doesn't know what to do, maybe this post might help. It's a very bizarre issue, and the only gremlin I've noticed in over 3 years of ownership and 35.5Kmi of use.

I've had it happen once. Never thought about it again, I thought it was just a fluke. Did you encounter a "No FOBS Detected" ? If so, there are a bunch of things to check for. The condition of your battery is of extreme importance. Recently I found that the positive terminal on mine had corroded and gave me a "no start" condition. In retrospect, Maybe there was a connection between the two incidents. I cleaned the terminals and, knock on wood, no re-occurrence.

No.... Just the 'check engine' icon illuminating on the dash. No 'no K F detected' message on the DIC. I've had the no KF condition before, however, and replacing the battery always cured that condition. The 'no start' happens very randomly and very occasionally. I've put a rather large amount of mileage on my car, so others may not run into this as they may driven their cars so much less than me....

Interesting about the corrosion buildup on the fob batt terminal. I'll have to keep a eye on that whenever I replace the K F batt.

I've had this happen a few times on all 3 of our C6s, randomly. Sometimes it happens in a high RF radiation area - near security systems and wireless systems but not often enough to say for sure.

I push the bottom of the Start button and the system seems to reset and work fine.

That happened with my three C6s. I don't know what caused it, but the car started on the second try. It's a bit troubling, but since the car always started on the second try, I chose to ignore it. Besides, most dealer service departments won't even try to diagnose an intermittent issue.

So I'm thinking stray RF is jamming the interrogations between the K F and the BCM? Hmmm...I've read about RF interfering with TPMSs...Pressing the bottom of the rocker does seem to do something resembling a system reset.

When I think about it, it did happen to me once or twice than it just worked fine... Does it happen often to you?

More often than I'd like it to. Maybe I'm in areas of high RF traffic. What with all the wi fi hotspots around now. And a lot of other things are using RF, too. Like Blue Tooth...I figure the system was designed in 2003...2004...maybe...And a lot of these things weren't quite as prevalent at the time...I think the newer systems are more 'hardened' to RF now.

Interesting about the corrosion buildup on the fob batt terminal. I'll have to keep a eye on that whenever I replace the K F batt.

I believe Tom was referring to the car battery. Corrosion on the K F batt terminal would also cause issues though.

Welp...It happened to me again today. I stopped in to the grocery store to pick up a couple of items, came back out, got in, heard that distinctive difference in the relay clicking, pressed the start button, no start. Just the engine SES light. Pressed the bottom of the rocker then pressed the top, engine fired right up. Weird.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom