Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: No tire pressure sensors - What happens?

Corvette
'13 427 60th vert - '21 Silver Flare Coupe - CTS V Wagon(4-door Vette)
Howdy,

I've been asked if you can run tire/wheel combinations on the C6 without tire pressure sensors and what would happen if you did?

I've never done that, so I don't have the answer.

The question came up bacause someone wants to buy autocross tires and go racing but does not want to buy a second set of sensors for the race tires/wheels.

So, what does a C6 do if you mount 4 tires/wheels without the sensors?

Got in after Paul, Congratulations by the way, and had to remove my wrong answer.

HI ther,
Vehicle speed is governed and Active handling engages.
Then, you cant really autocross effectively.
Allthebest, c4c5

That sorta sucks. :bash

On the C4 LTPWS, the module looked for 4 sensor signals. If it got no signals or 4 signals, it was okay. I was hoping that the C6 would work the same way.

Guess I'll have to bone up on the sensor 'learning' process also and buy a second set of sensors for the wheels. :ugh

On well.

On the C4 LTPWS, the module looked for 4 sensor signals. If it got no signals or 4 signals, it was okay. I was hoping that the C6 would work the same way.

Guess I'll have to bone up on the sensor 'learning' process also and buy a second set of sensors for the wheels. :ugh

On well.

I think you can run it for about an hour before things shut down. I've gone under 23 lbs and it gives me a warning but did not sut down.

On well.

I have "heard" that even with another set of rims/tires/sensors that if the pressure "seen" is outside of the parameters that gm decides, you will get reduced power. Often the desired pressure for track/autox is above or below the narrow parameters, so you might want to find out b4 you spend the $$$.

:beer

Too bad you can't turn off inside the pcm the tire pressure sensor like you could in the C5 with the tech II? or LSedit.

Here's a possible solution for you to run any tires at any pressure on any rims you want.

Remove the 4 TPMS and get yourself a piece of PVC pipe and thread a schrader valve in one end and a cap on the other. Throw the sensors inside and pump it up to 30-38PSI. Throw the pipe bomb into the back of the car somewhere and you should be able to drive your car without limits on performance. Now, you might need an attorney if you get pulled over with a "suspicious device" in your car but hey, that's what it takes to drive your car nowadays!

Here's a possible solution for you to run any tires at any pressure on any rims you want.

Remove the 4 TPMS and get yourself a piece of PVC pipe and thread a schrader valve in one end and a cap on the other. Throw the sensors inside and pump it up to 30-38PSI. Throw the pipe bomb into the back of the car somewhere and you should be able to drive your car without limits on performance. Now, you might need an attorney if you get pulled over with a "suspicious device" in your car but hey, that's what it takes to drive your car nowadays!

Believe it or not, that is a suggestion the GM/Corvette folks at the Birthday Bash suggested also - PVC pipe with 4 spare sensors installed stashed in the back. You'll still need a 'training' tool each time you use the pipe to train the sensors for your car. The GM guy said to screw the sensors into the pipe and use one of them to pressurize the pipe. Makes it easier to train them also.

When through racing, install the street tires/wheels, retrain the sensors (take out the pipe) and press on.

Howdy,

I've been asked if you can run tire/wheel combinations on the C6 without tire pressure sensors and what would happen if you did?

I've never done that, so I don't have the answer.
I have drag radials with no TPS.
I drive 30 miles to the 1/4 mile track and race it 3-4 time shots.

Here's what happens: In about 20-30 miles, the DIC will say "Service Tire Monitor". You then press the reset button to erase the message. It will appear again, hit the reset button again.

If you dial up your tire pressure on the DIC, it will dislay XX, instead of the lbs.

Nothing else will happen.

That's not what I heard, its what I know from experience.

Thanks. I was hoping to hear from someone that has actually driven without TPS in a couple or more wheels.

Yeah, I have.
Depending on what and how you drive, drags are NOT enough to see yaw rate.
And if you have the active handling turned off, you will not see this.
AUTOCROSSING IS DIFFERENT and that difference needed to be addressed.
Allthebest, c4c5

Yeah, I have.
Depending on what and how you drive, drags are NOT enough to see yaw rate.
And if you have the active handling turned off, you will not see this.
AUTOCROSSING IS DIFFERENT and that difference needed to be addressed.
Allthebest, c4c5

It seems that there's never just 'one' answer when it comes to the C6.
:bash

c6 tire sensor

hey there I just bought wheels for my c6, I just wanted to see a picture if you have one of the pvc sensor your talking about. And if you have a materials list of what I need to buy. Also do I need to reprogram the computer after doing the mods? Thank you in advance for the information.
Nikko

This won't work, the centrifiugal force of the tire rotating is what causes the micro switch in the sensor to close and transmit to the computer. Without the rotation, the sensor doesn't function. :duh

If the above is true then....why are engineers from GM telling people that the "PVC pipe" solution is the way to go for autocrossing?

If the above is true then....why are engineers from GM telling people that the "PVC pipe" solution is the way to go for autocrossing?

Good question Hib... I know that when you program the sensor positions with the magnet that you are forcing the same micro switch to close, forcing a transmission from the sensor. Without the centrifugal switch the transmitter would run 24/7 and the batterys wouldn't last nearly as long.

Isn't the tire training tool expensive for the c6's?

Chuck M

I'm looking to get a track set of rims and tires as well. What is the correct description of the "tire training tool" and tire sensors. Anyone know where to check pricing and purchase? ;help

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom