Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

noise from radio HELP!!

C

corvettelover

Hello fellow corvette owners in the past few days my radio would work fine and then about 15 minutes later a high pitch sound would be comming from the speakers.What on earth is happening can anyone help Thanks Danno

Do you have the Bose Gold system?? It sound like one of the speaker amps are going out if the noise is from one paticular speaker or the speaker relay is going bad if the sound is coming from all of them.

c4cruiser is right, that is a classic sign of failing amps if you have the Bose sytem. It only gets worse from here as the capacitors slowly die out. You can get them rebuilt by Bose or (cough) gut the Bose and put in a whole new system.

Ditto on the diagnosis - one of the amps is going bad.

Ecklers and MidAmerica sell replacement amps and they are easy enough to replace. There are places that rebuilt them also. Do a search here as there are several threads on these things.

Thanks for the feed back and yes l have the bose gold system do l have to replace all the speakers or the radio l thinking the speakers correct?

corvettelover said:
Thanks for the feed back and yes l have the bose gold system do l have to replace all the speakers or the radio l thinking the speakers correct?
Normally, all you need to replace is the amps located with each speaker to fix this problem.

corvettelover said:
Hello fellow corvette owners in the past few days my radio would work fine and then about 15 minutes later a high pitch sound would be comming from the speakers.What on earth is happening can anyone help Thanks Danno
send me an e-mail...I have found a radio repair shop in Surrey that does excellent work and will repair your bose system. Several of us in the club have gone there.
He rebuilt both rear speaker amps for me for $263.35 CDN (taxes in) and another time he soldered a loose terminal on my left rear speaker for $40.08 CDN (taxes in). He does good work and isn't of the "replace it" mentality.

safety_match@hotmail.com

Before you get too excited about paying $263 it breaks down this way...

Rebuild 2 amps - $165
Re & Re - $65
GST - $16.10
PST - $17.25

Total - $263.35

Another option is to just replace the capacitors, while this may not fix all the amps it did fix two of mine so far, which were doing the same thing as yours. If you can do basic soldering (or know someone who can) it is worth a shot IMO. You can get the caps from radioshack for about $6. There are instructions floating around the forums, and it is pretty easy to do. You can remove the speaker grill and housing and unplug the amp to find which one is the problem, if you are having trouble finding which speaker it is.
Good luck.

Tuna said:
Normally, all you need to replace is the amps located with each speaker to fix this problem.
I too have the same problem with my bose gold stereo. I get the squeel after a few minutes after its turned on. It does seem to come from all the speakers. I also hear a low pitched rumble. Could it be the relay. I cant believe all the amps are bad. Where is the relay you speak of. Thanks

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom