Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Noise in rear of 88, fixed.

frost

Corvette
1988 black/red Z51
I have had a noise in the rear compartment of my 88 coupe that has been driving me crazy for years. I finally found out what was causing it.

I have taken the wiring harness and all the relays I could find and wrapped then in foam to no avail. I thought maybe it was the rear hatch manual release mechanisiam. Nothing stopped the noise until I replaced my power antenna. It turns out that the connector; witch is a nice peace of metal was hitting the inner fiberglass. It is burred behind two peaces of plastic and when you hit a little bump it would hit the inner body. I wrapped the connector and all the wiring in foam. No more noise, at least from that area.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem.

Bill.

not only noise but what about rattles??? this is my first C4 and i only drove this one before i bought it. so i don't have any others to go by. but do they all shake and rattle like crazy or is it just mine?? i know the doors need inner and outter window seals. i guess its just a fiberglass thing?? but still love it.:D

Most of the rattles are caused by lose wiring and relays hitting plasticor fiberglass. You will have squeaking that is caused by plastic rubbing against each other. The squeaks can be fixed by placing Teflon tape between the plastic joints. Make sure all your screws are tight.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Bill

I suspect a knock-knock joke at this point would be futile?...;)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom