Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Noisy Roller Rockers...need opinions

ccmano

Corvette
90' Black ZR-1 #1723
I installed a set of full 1.6 roller rockers in my 36K mile L98 about 6 weeks ago. Ever since I have noticed that they get noisy (ticking) in the 1800 to 2000 rpm range. I've gone back and re-adjusted them 3 times now. The last time I did them while running...you know...back off the retaining nut till they start to clack, adjust to where the clacking just stops then tighten half a turn and set the lock nut. The only thing I have accomplished is the move the ticking into the 2000 to 2200 range.
The car runs exceptionally well with a smooth idle. I expected to get a little more valve noise with the RR's but this condition at RPM concerns me. Above and below this RPM range they are quiet. I don't think it's a lifter problem because it should just be one or two making noise. This sounds like the whole bunch.
My question is...is this normal (can't imagine)
Could all my lifters be a problem? (unlike likely at this low mileage, on a very clean engine with no varish build up)
Could the rockers be out of spec? (possible..they are an off brand)
Any other ideas?
Thanks

What year is it? When I installed RR's on mine I had to file off the drip tabs on the bottom of the valve covers to get clearence. Your RR's might be hitting the top of the valve cover.

Thanks for the BTT tony....

As for the drip tabs on the valve covers I've got that covered. Removed those when I installed the rockers..even checked the inside of the valve covers the last time readjusted the rockers to see if they were hitting anywhere...nothing.

I've come to the conclusion that is has to be the "no-name" rockers being out of spec. I just ordered some CompCams magnum rockers and will install them this weekend.

I'll report the results....

Hans

ccmano said:
Thanks for the BTT tony....

As for the drip tabs on the valve covers I've got that covered. Removed those when I installed the rockers..even checked the inside of the valve covers the last time readjusted the rockers to see if they were hitting anywhere...nothing.

I've come to the conclusion that is has to be the "no-name" rockers being out of spec. I just ordered some CompCams magnum rockers and will install them this weekend.

I'll report the results....

Hans

Before you do, try to pinpoint which rockers are making the noise, or which are louder. This will come in handy, if the next set of rockers have the same results.

Fixed it................:D
Replaced the roller rockers with a set of CompCams Magnum Rollers today and the noise is gone. I can now drive at 2000 rpm without the clacking.

So I guess the good word is stay away from off brand components. The offending rockers were made by an outfit called C.A.T. and they appear to be made in china. :eyerole

If you want to save money buy the good stuff to begin with.

lesson learned......:beer

Bill

It's a 91' L98 six speed vert.....with few mods...:D

I'm located in Castle Rock....:beer

Hans

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom