Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Non-Directional Air Flow A/C

Zo6 LVR

Corvette
2002 Electron Blue Coupe
I just purchased a 1995 coupe with 44,000 miles. The only thing not working properly is the HVACsystem. The system cools and heats per the automatic settings, however I cannot direct the airflow to the dash via the position buttons on the control. The air flow is in the default mode only flowing to the windshield and the floor no matter what position I put the system in. This indicates a lack of vacuum to the control to me. I checked all of the vacuum connections on the engine I could find and at the vacuum resevoir and all appear to be well connected and in good condition. Has anybody experienced the same problem and found the cause???

I just purchased a 1995 coupe with 44,000 miles. The only thing not working properly is the HVACsystem. The system cools and heats per the automatic settings, however I cannot direct the airflow to the dash via the position buttons on the control. The air flow is in the default mode only flowing to the windshield and the floor no matter what position I put the system in. This indicates a lack of vacuum to the control to me. I checked all of the vacuum connections on the engine I could find and at the vacuum resevoir and all appear to be well connected and in good condition. Has anybody experienced the same problem and found the cause???
You will find what you need to Know Here!!!!! It's a Real fun Job!!!!:D Have a Great Day!! junk!!

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13024 PS. Read it all before you start!!! You may get Lucky and it just be the Vacuum valve on the intake!! If not it's allot easier to remove the drivers seat!!!!! I didn't the first one I did and my back Killed Me!!!

This may help. It was posted when i asked the same question:

I just fixed my 96 today with the same problem.....air blowing out defrost &
floor only. There is a black box right above the gas pedal with several colored
lines coming from it. This is called the vaccum programmer . It controls which
doors open up from your control on the heater, ac control..
ok back to the black box...I found the easiest way to work on this without
breaking you back is to remove the drivers seat and disconnect the electric on
your seat if you have a power seat'''only 4 bolts holding it on.This gave plenty
of room to lay down and look up.After removing the the seat, get a flashlite or
droplite and lay on your back and look for the black box right up over the gas
pedal Look for the green connecter which your colored vaccum lines are coming
from.make sure the green thingy is tight against the box and all the vaccum line
are intact, put a bunch of pressure on the connecter and sqeeze hard and at the
same time have someone work the heater controls . Start it up and set on auto-60
degrees and see if air blows out the dash..Some times the problem is a loose
connecter..they are real flimsy..
Unfortunetly on mine my programmer was shot and I had to replace it with a new
one...PART # 16227376 FOR MY 96..It was expensive too....$1059.38..I got mine
from a freind from a chevy dealership that happens to be parts manager..got it
for $582.66 plus a $25.00 core charge. I think they are cheaper for 1995 and
earlier models...
Before you start anything check to see if there is anmy codes that come up on
your heater ac controls...To check for codes do the following..........
1/........push the up and down fan button at the time and wait till the ttemp
goes to 00.and then release and hold the fan button in between the arrows and
see if any codes come up.....If codes come up then you will have to find out
what it is....maybe on the web or dealer....or parts store.......
I hope this will help you out.............john............MY 96

Thanks guys, You all have provided some valuable info to attack the problem. Nowall I need is some time to dig into it.
Wanna C6, I hope mine is not the programmer!!

A/C directional control

Reading a lot of threads on this subject, it sounds like the '96 has different materials in the programmer (softer plastic) and suffers more at that distribution point. Never having seen a '96 programmer, I can't verify this. But read up on the subject and you may find some comfort in addition to more hints regarding its repair. The intake manifold connection (under the passenger-side plastic cover), vacuum reservoir and check valve are much more accessible so check them for actual vacuum first.

Non-Directional A/C

Well guys, I finally got around to removing the driver seat and contorting under the dash to find the cause of the non-functioning air direction control. Going to the controller box vacuum line connection that most recommended,I found nothing wrong. I removed the box and found that a pesky mouse had eaten through one of the vacuum lines connecting the inner vacuum line connector to the manifold and he chewed up the manifold a bit causing a hole in that two. After a bit of epoxy and CA glue all lines and manifold were repaired, system now works great! I just thought I would let you all know what I found. Probably a one off case, but if I had stopped at the vacuum line connector on the outside of the box I would have overlooked the real cause of the problem.

Guess the previous owner did not store in the best of conditions!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom