Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Noob having problems with 84 Vette.

bundy26

Corvette
1984 Red Coupe
I bought an 84 corvette with the crossfire 350, drove it home from this guys house ( 35 miles approx ), stopped at a light about a block away from my house and the car died completely on me.
Engine turns over fine but no start, changed plugs ,wires, ignition coil, cap and rotor and no success.
I took the cover off and noticed that when I put the car in ignition the injector on the passengers side sprays fuel and cuts off when I try to start it ,shooting fuel while the engine is making an attempt to start, when I turn the key off right after, the same injector sprays more fuel for a couple of seconds and cuts off.
Second, I took one of the plugs out with the wire connected and grounded it, and tried to start the car and noticed that there is no spark.
I would appreciate any type of help, really like this car but it is giving me a headache, thanks in advance.
:confused:confused

Have you looked at the CrossFire Injection Mine ?
Scroll down to the Corvette General Form and check it
out .

I bought an 84 corvette with the crossfire 350, drove it home from this guys house ( 35 miles approx ), stopped at a light about a block away from my house and the car died completely on me.
Engine turns over fine but no start, changed plugs ,wires, ignition coil, cap and rotor and no success.
I took the cover off and noticed that when I put the car in ignition the injector on the passengers side sprays fuel and cuts off when I try to start it ,shooting fuel while the engine is making an attempt to start, when I turn the key off right after, the same injector sprays more fuel for a couple of seconds and cuts off.
Second, I took one of the plugs out with the wire connected and grounded it, and tried to start the car and noticed that there is no spark.
I would appreciate any type of help, really like this car but it is giving me a headache, thanks in advance.
:confused:confused

First thing you should buy is a GM Service Manual which will come in handy on a car that is 26 years old. Second, it may be the coil or ignition module since you don't have any spark. Third, this is normal for the injectors to spray a small amount of fuel when the key is first turned to the ON position. You should also hear the in tank fuel pump run for a few seconds as well and then turn OFF. Did you have a CEL? If so, find out what code is set. You can short the test connector A/B pins and count the flashes for a code.

I'll be checking out connections to the ignition coil this weekend.

Did you have a CEL? If so, find out what code is set. You can short the test connector A/B pins and count the flashes for a code.

No CEL either just died on me.:confused

If it just died and you have no fuel or spark when cranking with the key ON, engine cranking...check the black connector at ECM, pin #2 HEI reference signal on CKT 430. If it's reading a steady batt voltage, the module is bad. Reads < 1.0v, check CKT 430 for open or short. Reads 1-2 volts varying, bad ECM connector.

There are also two fuses (3amp) INJ1 and INJ2 in fusebox, check those as well for the fuel issue. Do you have FP? Check for at least 13psi in-between the TBs, if not check the fuel filter, pump, pump strainer and lines.

I hope this helps some and points you in the right direction.

I have fuel spraying from the injectors but no spark, I'll be checking the connections to the coil this weekend.
I hear the fuel pump so I don't think it will be that, thanks to everyone helping, will post up pics of the car also.

Ok, so today I checked the coil and it resulted that the new coil I put in was crap so I installed the old one, after cranking it for a while I floored the gas and it came to life.
Now the problem is that it runs like crap because the second injector does not spray at all, I decided to check the fuses and it resulted that the fuse for the second injector was no good, when I put a new one with the car running on one injector ( like dog shit ) the second injector started spraying a crazy amount of gas and that causes the car to flood and shut off, then it burns the fuse.
Can the second fuel injector be shorted out?:confused:confused
So if anybody understands this and is willing to give me a hand to solve this problem I would be greatful. Thanks to all in advance.

These cars are known to have injectors that get stuck open causing the fuel to start dumping. I would definitely look at replacing them especially if the mileage is high. Just for reference the injectors are different so one is for the rear throttle body and one is for the front. I owned an 84 for 7 years and it was super reliable and alot of fun. I too had to do some work on it to get it up to snuff when I first got it.

So which is which, the one on the passenger side is the one that blows the fuse and dumps fuel, front or rear?:confused

Front = passenger side. Rear = drivers side.
I would replace them both. After all, they are the same age and milage.
You don't want to have to do it again if the other one fails.

I ordered the fuel injectors , maybe will receive them Wed or Thur, cross my fingers the problem gets worked out.

Well, problem did not get solved.
Same issue, I have spark, fuel and vaccum lines are OK. The rear injector seems to be working fine, but the front one still sprays too much fuel.
With the front injector disconnected the car starts, like crap but it starts, but once I connect the front injector it just spray a crazy amount of fuel and the car shuts off.
I changed the injectors thinking that was the problem but I guess it's not.
I really need some one to tell me how the hell the injection in this engine is supposed to work so I know in which direction I should head.
If I can't get this fixed I'm going to have to drop my pants and end up in a shop.
Thanks in advance.HEEEEEEEELLLLLLPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused

The injectors are fired by 2 large FETs (Field Effect Transistors) on the ECM board. They are connected to the Injectors by the Blue and Green wires on one side of the the Injectors. The other side of the injector is fused to the ignition (12V) source.
If you put a test light on the Blue and Green wires with respect to ground, I suspect that you will see the injector that works will be flashing on and off every time it fires. On the other one it will not light, indicating that the FET is always conducting current and keeping that injector open all the time.
If that is what you find, then it's time for a new ECM, or the wire from the ECM is shorted to ground somewhere in the wire harness.
If it's the ECM: If you unplug the ECM harness connectors from the ECM the light should come back on.
If it's a short in the wiring: The light will stay off.

These cars are known to have injectors that get stuck open causing the fuel to start dumping. I would definitely look at replacing them especially if the mileage is high.

I've never heard of this before and the injectors are as reliable as any other injector IMO, but stuff could possibly happen.

Since you have more fuel coming out of one injector than the other, have you tried swapping the injector connectors to see if the issue moves to the other injector? If it does swap sides, then the injector driver is more than likely bad in the ECM. Give it a try.

So let me get this straight , the injectors once the car is fired up, they should be spraying the same amount of fuel? and I tried swapping connectors and it did the same. I'm going to try to check the ECM tomorrow, where is it located at?:W

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom