Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Normal Oil Temp?

Corvette
1981 Dark Blue Metallic, 2003 AE coupe
What temp are you folks seeing your oil stabilize out at when running extended highway speeds (70-75mph) with about a mid 50's ambient temp? Mine is holding at about 210 (straight up) and I'm not used to seeing it up that high. The coolant temp is running around 170 or less during the same time. The heater contol is always off as the control panel slides are not functional at the moment. Only have a/c right now and it was off as well. The car is all original with 57K miles. Just wondering what was normal for the L81 as I don't usually do too much highway driving, but that seems to be changing. Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Mike :w

We took a 250 mile ride yesterday to the Moultrie Ga. Swap meet and car corall. This also was the lonest trip I have had since buying the car and puting the engine back in it to replace the freeze plugs among other things like the radiator. On the interstate the engine was running 180 and the oil temp was 200-205. The air temp never got above 60 degrees yesterday. Don't know if this is normal but its close to yours.

yes this is a reasonable temp for oil.I drive tractor trailers and this temp is where the diesels are as well,when I had mine out last year for the first time It is what I had for a temp in my vette so I wasn't to worried.

How are we suppose to know?

It makes me wonder with all of this information on the DIC in regards to temperature of different components of car what is the norm for each component like transmission, oil, coolant etc. In the manual it does not disclose this information so how are you suppose to know if you are at an abnormal temperature?

That's a good point abc. Remembering back to my old Navy days and taking logs on engineering equipment, there was always at least a high and low spec and usually a normal band to compare readings from hour to hour. That's part of why I was showing concern about an oil temp of 210F. My squid sense tells me 180F is cause for action, but design and history make all the difference and vettes aren't 4000KW turbines. Over time you got to know which bearings ran hotter due to ambient contributions, bearing wear and load. I guess I just have to get to know my car a little better and of course, drive it more. :lou

Cheers,
Mike :w

abc, coolant temp is determined by the t-stat eg;165,180 or 195 degree...
you can tell the tranny(autos) when they have run to hot by the color and the smell of the fluid(brown and burnt respectively).I don't know about rear.

bill....:w

Thanks the nom for the temp. on mine is 192 to 194 for the coolant. I don't know what it should be for the others.

just got back from a 500 mile road trip to Helen, Ga, with my son (who is out on spring break for the College of Charleston) . I did work the curves in those mountains and ran 80+ mostly on I85, but the coolant stayed steady at the 160 mark. However, the engine oil temp. predictably, ran 180 - 200 degrees. I should mention that I replaced the stock 185(?) thermostat w/ a 160 thermostat when I replaced the computer chip last year.
I expect the oil temp to be at or a little above the coolant temp. Jim

GM says if your hit 260deg or over you must change the oil. If you are using Mobil 1 thats added protection.

redvett said:
GM says if your hit 260deg or over you must change the oil. If you are using Mobil 1 thats added protection.
Oil temp typically on mine is 215 to 230.

Hey like2drive, hope you know that you have a pitstop here in Charleston if you ever need one. Next time you're down give me a call (PM me for number) and bring your beauty by the house. I will take a few digital pix and email them back to you.

Mike :beer

The thermostat will regular MINIMUM temp not maximum temp. Many variants on what will drive the engine temp. Mine runs warm, always has. Normal very cool driving days at 70mph she'll run around 190-200 degrees F. Now under a load up a mountain with the A/C running she'll easy go to 235. The electric fan won't come on much before 240+. I wouldn't worry unless she says very low or very high under all conditions.

........ nut

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom