Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Not a Great Week for C4's on the road...

Mad-Mic

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
1987 Redskin Red Coupe
was a nice day today and roads were dry so i decide to take the vette out and run some errands. so i went and signed the check to be deposited in escrow from my car accident in May 01 for my lawyer. (finally!) i decide to go out to the gas station on the main hwy i know of that has free air. (yes i'm a cheap bastard!) RR DR goes low now after a few days. well i'm cruising down the road and see this guy in full leathers on a big ass road king harley and i pass him in the slow lane about 30 mph and he pipes me. i guess he was enjoying the mid 40 degree weather also. no big deal i come to the light and drop gears to slow down nothing out of the ordinary. he's still in the left lane and we come to a part in the hwy that turns to 3 lanes wide.and now i'm in the middle lane since i was in the slow lane to begin with. he is still to my left. we come to another light and traffic is slowing. i do my thing and break about 3 times early just dropping gears and slowing down. i rather drift upto a car then have to jam the brakes. all the sudden i hear BAM! i feel the car move just alittle. i was going about 5 mph almost stopped and i look up after i completely stop and i look in my review and i see nothing. then about 2 seconds later i see the biker picking up his bike! i'm like WTF with a few other nice words to myself and i get out and make sure he's ok and we both pull into this dealership.

well the cops come to make sure everything is ok. he don't have a drivers license but has the registration to the bike. i copy all the info down and he tells me his insurance carrier. so now he's trying to talk me out of going thru insurance. so when i look at the damage it doesn't look bad. rearlower bumper clear coat is cracked. i'm thinking no big deal a few hundred maybe 3 at the most. tells me to take it to his friends auto body shop which i know of and does alot of mercedes work from the MB dealer i used to work at.

now i get the police info and i'm leaving to go to the gas station and put air in my RR tire the side he hit me on. i walk to that side of the car and what do i see? the damn upper rear bumper pushed in and pulled out with a nice scrape down it with clear coat shattered with that catching the RR quarter panel and cracking that up alittle.
mad.gif

so now i go down to the body shop and talk to them. i get an estimate of 1414.93. i call the guy up and tell him and he can't believe the estimate cause i am guessing he didn't see the side damage as i didn't because he pulled up to the side and was looking at the back of the car.

so he wants me to get a few more estimates as he don't want to go thru insurance but i got a gut feeling that it will. luckily i take alot of photographs of my car to prove there was no previous damage there. the guy at the autobody shop i took it to that he suggested knew the guy and said he was a stand up guy so i hope he is if not i'll be calling my insurance company cause he did tell me atleast who he was insured with which is my company and i got a police case # no report or paperwork just the officer wrote down his name and bad ge number along with the case number on my note pad with his info i copied down.

i'll give him to the end of the week. think that is fair? flip side to this i had some paint work on the front clip i needed done so i got that estimate also which was 500 but i think i can get it all cheaper at a few shops around my way that i have some distant contacts with. so i was planning getting the front clip done and if i can get the whole car repainted for 2000 + what this guy does or the insurance pays for i will just get the whole thing painted if i can get it done for about 3k.

Grrr!!!!

Sorry to hear about your misfortune!:mad I know you love your baby just as much as I do mine.I don't post much but you really are an asset to this site with your knowledge
and stories :drool: I hope everything works out-every thing happens for a reason,
maybe somebody wants you to have a total repaint?;shrug

take care - Jammi'n Jeff

Im1ru2 said:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune!:mad I know you love your baby just as much as I do mine.I don't post much but you really are an asset to this site with your knowledge
and stories :drool: I hope everything works out-every thing happens for a reason,
maybe somebody wants you to have a total repaint?;shrug

take care - Jammi'n Jeff

Jeff,

thanks man yeah it will work out just another stressful day. started off bad then was happy the lawyer called me then got 10x worse with this happening. was just the kicker of the day. :L unfortunally i wasn't prepaired to dish out 2k+ for a paint job although i am getting it alot cheaper. would be probably 4k+ for a good paint job on a vette. i was gonna get the front clip resprayed in the spring though anyway.

i'll keep you guys informed.

one cool thing though that would of turned a crap day into a cool day was when i left the body shop about 5 miles from annapolis i ran up on a 04 CE Z06 with a guy that was about 40ish. i got behind him at a light 3 wide and was hoping he'd get on it or get on it enough i could get over and we could get a run in. we paced eachother for about a 1/2 mile with no go then he falls back about 1 car length going over a bridge and no go. i guess my long tube headers, no cats, and no mufflers even in Drive he didn't want none :L Drats! i was hoping he was going to the main hwy but he turned off after he get next to me and i gave it a first gear blast for a second when traffic ahead was stopped at the light just to get his attention but again no go he stayed over so atleast when he went by making his left hand turn i gave him a wave and he still didn't aknowledge me like when i first got next to him.

sorry just one reason i like beating up on C5's and haven't had a chance to race a 04 Z06. there isn't alot of Z06's around here and they won't race for a short spurt :(

Man, sorry to hear about that. I know how I'd feel...

Call JS Lee's on Belle Grove Road. Terry, the owner, does body and paint work on Vettes (used to own a sweet 67 coupe) and lesser cars. We get all our bodywork done there. He's reasonable and good.

[RICHR]

rrubel said:
Man, sorry to hear about that. I know how I'd feel...

Call JS Lee's on Belle Grove Road. Terry, the owner, does body and paint work on Vettes (used to own a sweet 67 coupe) and lesser cars. We get all our bodywork done there. He's reasonable and good.

[RICHR]

thanks Rich. i'll check him out later this week or beginning of next week.

Man that has to be terrible. I am glad I have not had to deal with something like that yet "knock knock". Hopefully I wont have to. I hope you get it all worked out.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom