Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Notes on Napa to Cruisefest road trip in C5

napacruzerC5

Corvette
'01 TR M6, '07 MS A6
Just some trip notes in 2001 C5 Coupe 6-speed.

Left Napa, CA Sunday 6/24 and returned Sunday 7/1

Two adults, two Dachshunds and their travel kennel, medium sized cooler, soft sided luggage for the humans, goodie bag, dog goodie bag, 3 pair shoes and 2 pair flip flops for wife, 2 pair shoes and 1 pair flip flops for me; complete set of tire plugs, air compressor, small jack w/o front wheels, some tools, 2 quarts Mobil 1, a CD case of old stuff (Kinks, Loving Spoonful, Frankie Valli) plus 12 in cassette (War, America, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles), and Valentine 1 (definitely worth the investment).

Total miles including Olympic Training Center, Royal Gorge and Car Show: 2878.3

Total fuel: 107.3 gallons $324.48 with high of $3.69, low of $3.29.

Best mileage: 29.1 mpg (Colorado Springs to Green River, Utah) Helps to leave at o'dark 30 in the a.m. and have no traffic at all on Saturday. Previous non-cruise high 26.3 mpg on a trip to L.A.

Worse mileage: 23.5 mpg event driving and around town, includes Royal Gorge uh...cruising ;LOLPrevious non-cruise low 15.8 mpg which included an autocross.

DIC mileage: 28.8 mpg. Calculated mileage: 26.8 mpg. Two mpg difference about my average between DIC and hand calculation.

DIC average speed: 64.9 mph

Ely, Nevada to Fallon, Utah on Highway 50: Average speed approximately 80 mph. Highest speed seen: 120 mph (see above for full load details; and no she wasn't asleep). Cruised a lot at 100 mph with 2100 rpm showing on the tach. Saw anywhere from 23 mpg to 29 mpg on the DIC probably depending on whether we were going uphill, downhill or on level ground.

Started at 94% oil life and ended at 79% oil life. Did not add any oil. Oil still looked good this morning.

Highest oil temp seen: 232 during long climb with lots of shifting.

Highest coolant temp seen: 212 see above oil temp.

Usual oil temp in the 2-teens; usual coolant temps in the mid to high 190, usually 197.

Started with 32 psi fronts, 31 psi rears mainly for full load/weight considerations. Hit some recently oiled black top in Nevada eastbound and saw right front go up to 42 psi, LF to 41 psi. Possible combination of hot day (in the 90's), black top, altitude, speed and possible road camber (crown). DIC reported the high RF psi. Next a.m. readings were 36 fronts and 34 rears. Bled them down to 32/31 and saw mostly 36/34 the rest of the trip. This a.m. at home saw 31/29 cold.
BTW Cruisefest experience = priceless :w

Wow and I thought I was a geek! ;LOL

Yeah the air density up here is about 20% lower than at sea level...so the tires will "blow up" a tad bit...got quite a few questions about that. You get so used to stuff like that eventually you don't even give it a second thought!

Bill

Collecting all those stats when did you have time to drive?

:D j/k thanks for the interesting info

You keep a better log than I do Rhys!

Hey Jim, I keep a logbook in all my vehicles. Basically just a checkbook wallet and register. The register leaves a lot of room to write fill-up info and any special notes. Also keep the car papers (registration, insurance info) in it. Plus the DIC in the C5 lets you accumulate other info pertinent to that trip or previous fillups.
Rhys

Collecting all those stats when did you have time to drive?

:D /quote]

Almost all the 2878.3 miles. Wife drove from just outside Grand Junction to Green River while I attempted to nap. Don't think she missed any shifts but lower speeds helped the mileage :eyerole

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom