Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Number of 81s registered.

tcxd40

Corvette
(2) Black '93s, purple '81, '69 vintage racer
This may have been asked before, so forgive me.

Of the 1981 Corvettes made how many are accounted for in the registry?

I have two, but only one is registered.

tcxd40

Thanks for the info.

I also found that I have the youngest L-81 out of Bowling Green.
That's kinda cool!

tcxd40

Thanks for the info.

I also found that I have the youngest L-81 out of Bowling Green.
That's kinda cool!

tcxd40

My 81 was also one of the first in June of 81 out of BG,

#510074 What # is yours? Last digits on the vin code.

Ken:CAC

I think mine was the one on the front of the '81 corvette news coming through the paper :boogie. I'll have to check to see when mine was made since I have the build sheet and the window sticker :confused, or I could just look at the last numbers on my Vin#....DUH.

Ken,
On the resgistry, Youngest L-81: Bolwing Green VIN 5108989. Original purchase from Briggs Chevrolet, SO Amboy NJ.

tcxd40

Slight correction, It was originally purchased from SO Amboy NJ. I'm not he original owner , I'm the third.

My Vin is #5104819. Maybe mine is one of the 100 that were painted in St. Louis :eek:hnoes

mike, If after the letter 'B' in your vin,you have a '5' or a 'S'
5=bowling green built car
S=st Louis car

Emtmike,

If I'm not mistaken all Vettes produced at Bolwing Green start with 510 and all Vettes produced at St.Louis start 400.

That would lead me to believe that yours was made at Bowling Green.

tcxd40

Yea, I know....darn it....one can only hope though :cool. My question is why would such a large number be such a young '81? ;shrug. Maybe the great and powerful Yoda can answer this question for me.

:w Mike,

ah young one... number is big is young, the larger the number the later in the production year it is born, making it young..

5100021 is older than 5102121...

Kind of like counting to 10, once you get to 10 it's the last word said ;) where 1 was the first word said ;)

Yo ;)

:w ...Kind of like counting to 10, once you get to 10 it's the last word said ;) where 1 was the first word said ;)

Yo ;)

Wow! That's pretty deep! I never thought it that way...:ugh

That's why we call him Yoda...:cool

GerryLP:cool

tu-tones

My Vin is #5104819. Maybe mine is one of the 100 that were painted in St. Louis :eek:hnoes
I was under the impression all tu-tones in 81 were painted in bowling green.....am i wrong there ??

I was under the impression all tu-tones in 81 were painted in bowling green.....am i wrong there ??
:w redneck & Welcome to the Corvette Action Center Community and the L81Vette Forum..

The vin number in your quote is a Bowling Green Built 1981 ~ now to your question..

St. Louis experimented with the 2 tone paint combo's and from the sources I've talked to (Gorden Kilebrew sp) about a dozen or so were actually painted two tone using the base coat/clear coat process, BUT having said this... the cars painted two tone at St. Louis have the St. Louis vin/sn e.g. 4????? while all the Bowling Green cars vin/sn start with 1????? or if so inclined the St. Louis Plant has "S" before the last 6 digits and the Bowling Green cars have a 5 before the last 6 digits.. ;)

I believe we have documented 1 St. Louis Built two tone so far ;)

Bud

all of the '81 two-tone vettes were painted in bowing green
all of the '81 St.Louis vettes were 1 color

your vin says its a bowling green built vette!

...My Vin is #5104819. Maybe mine is one of the 100 that were painted in St. Louis :eek:hnoes...

Sorry, but no Bowling Green cars were painted at St. Louis. Your car was painted at Bowling Green and was the 4819th Bowling Green built '81; a little more than half way through the run at the new plant.

:)

...all of the '81 St.Louis vettes were 1 color...

Nope.
scan0020-1.jpg

December 1980 at St. Louis (1981 model year). Two-tone '81s were produced in both locations. All of the St. Louis cars are acrylic lacquer; all the Bowling Green cars are acrylic enamel with clear coat.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom