Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

O2 sensor placement

topless82vette

Corvette
1982 convertible (not factory) stock 350cfi auto
I'm planning on changing over my cross-fire system to tuned port here soon, a question I do have is my painless harness was made for the 02 sensor to be in the driverside exhaust manifold, is it better for it to be up there than its current location which is down by the cat converter ( I think ) or should I just legthen the 02 sensors wire, My car is sometimes sluggish to get into closed loop, so I'm wondering if possibly the 02 sensor isn't staying hot enough down there.

My o2 ohhhh get it O2 hahahah

I'll bet its a cruddy ground down there, It's a single wire O2 right... which means a mechanical connection from the front of the CAT ( pipe threads ) to the front Y pipe.. to the manifolds... to the headers.. to the block..

Hmmmmm not good connection points bucko!

Vig!

Vigman

yes it is a single wire o2 sensor, and yes everything bolts together as you mentioned, however your 2 for 3 on this post, actually the bottom side of mine is pretty clean ..... now would it be better to move the o2 sensor up to one of the headers, or did GM put it down there for a reason, vigman have you ever considered moving to a nice small town called yucaipa LOL ...

thanks vig

Yes but consider the following

The O2 sensor would be best where it is because you sampling BOTH sides of the engine...which MIGHT cause the engine to run a tad lean...considering the O2 in a 85 is mainly sniffin one bank... so that might be something to consider in the BIG picture.

2nd it might be cheap electrical insurance to run a ground braid from the pipe to the frame, as opposed to banking on the flange bolts making a proper connection ( just a bit Iffy in my book)

Yucaipa.. where the HELL is Yucaipa.....

I have a tough enuf time getting home as it is !

LOL

Vig

3 fer 3 now?

vigman

yucaipa is about 15 miles east of san bernardino on the 10
as for the ground strap that would seem like a good idea, but will have to wait awhile since Im going to be replacing my exhaust soon also, when it used to stay in open loop all the time it had a nice healthy sound to it, but in closed loop sounds kinda wimpy, guess its alot less fuel causing that one, so Im considering a set from ecklers and top it off with muffler eliminators.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom