Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Obd Ii ??

newvette

Corvette
2001 C-5 White Convertable Z-51 6SP
Hi all,
Just a lazy question for anyone you knows off the top of their heads. Is a 94 vette OBD II compliant?

Thanks,
Mike;help

no obd1 -obd2 started in 96 steve:w

Beginning in '94, corvettes started to employ a hybrid OBDI/OBDII called "Pull Ahead". The ALDL is a 16 pin OBDII connector and the ECM stores 86 different DTC's as being OBDII compliant.

The system was fully OBDII compliant starting in '96.

Jay

So, I can use one of those OBD II scanners on my '94?

Thanks again,
Mike

i don't think you can, all you have to do is jump the proper pins and the check engine light will flash out the codes.... run a search in the forums for the proper procedure

some obd 2 scaners will read obd 1 info with the right soft ware and adapter plug the tech 2 can but is pricey the tech 1 will do some of the hybreds in 94 and 95 with the correct adapters steve:upthumbs :w

Anybody have any experience with the INNOVA 3100 Code scanner? O'Reilly sells them for $130, I was thinking of picking one up. Also, does anyone know what type of scanner can read ABS error codes?

Thanks,
Mike:xmas

I believe a Tech II tool is needed for ABS codes.

Try the dealer...very expensive to buy, but not much to have the code read by them...

:)

Go to www.c4vettes.com & select Fact sheets & then code recovery. At the bottom shud be some info that will help with the ABS.

Merry Christmas:SANTA :SANTA :SANTA

At the www.c4vetts.com site click on the picture of the scanner. It will tell you to use the obd-I with an adapter which you can purchase from their store.
Merry XMAS>:xmas :SANTA :xmas

With a 94, which, as mentioned earlier, was part of GM's "early roll-out" of OBD II, you still need a scanner that reads non-OBD II ("OBD I") codes, to properly diagnose the car.

The OBD II functions were only partial and the main diagnostic functions of the PCM/ECMs in those cars were still OBD I. The partial OBD II on 94s and 95s was to give GM some experience with the reliability of basic OBD II functions and not for actual diagnosis. In fact, when something happened to store an OBD II "p-code", the MIL would not come on. The only thing that turned the light on was an "OBD I" code.

If you get a scanner, make sure it supports the old system as, if the service light comes on, it will be because of an OBD I code and an OBD II scanner will show no codes.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom