Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Occasional Miss

kmccon

Corvette
1991 Red Coupe
I put in new plugs over the weekend and ended up swapping the plug wires on #2 and #4 cylinders. When I started the car, we noticed something wasn't firing and I proceeded to check all the plug wires, thought I hadn't got one on all the way. Got to the passenger side and noticed a red glow on the exhaust near the cat. Got things switched around and ran much better. Now the engine runs ok, but occasionally it sounds like it is randomly missing. When I accelerate or load the engine everything seems to be ok.

Thoughts?

I may have gotten some bad gas. I put in injector cleaner/gas treatment. Only have a few miles on it so I can't tell if things are better yet.

Thanks in advance for your help

Get a spray bottle of water(salt water works better buy I don't know if you want to spray salt water on your engine) and with the engine running at night or in the dark go around spraying down the plugs and wires it's possible that will help see what maybe happening. The miss you are talking about sounds to be spark arcking not injectors, but start with the water first.

David Fulcher

I checked the wires and didn't see any arcing. I have now replaced the wires, distributor cap, rotor and fuel filter. I also cleaned the throttle body with throttle body cleaner. I am still getting a rough idle. Also, could be running rough at higher revs too. I could feel the injectors clicking when I put my finger on them.

Only have about 1/8 of a tank gone with the injector cleaner. Weather has not been conducive to a road trip.

:confused;shrug:hb

It sound like you have done some of the basic things, if you would like to check your injectors you will need a DVOM(digital volt ohm meter) and check the resistence of the injectors they should be around 17 ohms you may find one lower maybe 12 and that could be your problem the multic injectors in the car are not know for clogging now they can stick close if the car sits awhile but for the most part stay clean very well. But they are built in such a way that they can get shorted the coils of the injectors are gas cooled which means they if someone uses a harsh injector cleaner or too strong a consentration the cleaner can wash the insulation off the windings and cause shorts to happen and that will lead to problems, so with the ohm meter that is what you will be checking for. But check it out and let us know.

David Fulcher

Running much better now!

I went back and checked #2 and #4 plugs. #2's gap was less than .035 and #4 just didn't look good. Looks like it was overheated and fouled. Replaced one and re-gapped the other.

Now to the oil leak:eek:hnoes

Thanks for your help David.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom