Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Off-idle hesitation and backfire

77-4speed

Corvette
1977 Black L-82 4-speed
Hello again all,

Well it's nice weather and I've got the 77 out on the road more and more. I have noticed a problem though. I've got an edelbrock 600cfm egr carb with electronic choke, and I'll usually let the car warm up for quite a while before I drive. Anyhow, once I'm driving, any time that I hit the gas, the car stumbles and often "back-fires" through the carb. I have the timing set to 36 degrees, all in by 3000 rpm (I had to use the lightest springs in the kit).

The carb is less than a year old so I can pretty much rule out the accelerator pump. Any ideas?

Thanks everybody.

Russ

The accelerator pump may be good but it is not adjusted correctly.
A lean condition cause's a backfire thru the carb which takes you back to the accelerator pump. Here's Edelbrocks tech site that tells how to adjust the metering rod's.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

Thanks 1bad80! I'm going to go have a look through the Edelbrock site. I didn't know if it was a lean condition or rich condition that caused the backfire through the carb. Is is also possible that I have too much timing coming in early with the very soft springs in the distributor?

Thanks,

Russ

Very soft springs in the distributor will give spark knock coming in to fast. I still belive its to lean, to rich on the pump will be boggy or slugish.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom